PDA

View Full Version : So what do the EQLive'ers have to say about Emu?

RangerDown
04-12-2005, 07:12 AM
From the SOE Forums:

http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/board/message?board.id=Veterans&message.id=76008

knightz
04-12-2005, 07:52 AM
Good read, some pretty obtuse views, but it is to be expected I guess.

solid11
04-12-2005, 08:09 AM
So do the live devs or admin NOT want to post their opinions on the forums about eqemu? I did some searches from your link rangerdown, and didn't see any comments from the devs on what they thought. Would really like to see some thoughts from them, would be a good laugh. Kinda turning a blind eye to the whole thing it looks like to me, like the black sheep in the family. You know they're there but you don't wanna talk about them.

RangerDown
04-12-2005, 10:14 AM
I don't expect any SOE employees to respond on that thread, as I'm quite certain no dev would be allowed to say anything other than some "official" stance. It does give you an opinion though on what others think of the emu project.

As for "stealing business" as one poster there alleges -- I think if anything, EQEmu has given SOE a few more months subscription from me than they otherwise would've gotten, as I reup my account from time to time for packetcollecting, to check out a new feature EQLive just added, or to see exactly how a specific mechanic works. Some of the members of the EQLive board are flat out wrong about all the players here wanting only a non-legit "everyone's a level 70 GM who can #summonitem" server. I think Guildwars' short return, and WR and S2K's long-established presence here, (Edit: and the growing popularity of KMRA) shows that a bunch of people are here for an ALTERNATIVE EQ experience.

I agree with the one guy who said that if anything, eqemu makes you realize just how difficult coding a game like EQ can be :D

Rogean
04-13-2005, 06:29 AM
I was gonna post something, but You need an active EQ Subscription to post, and I'm definitly not posting under my all access account :D

D0rkforEq
04-13-2005, 10:38 AM
Aggreed Rog if I loged in as my account I would be slaped with a ban/sus and I rather not do that cause I use EqAim to talk to some friends that are cool :/.

Xiao
04-14-2005, 06:09 AM
Just from talking to random EQ players, most seem to think the Emu is just a computer-crashing piece of shit or a tool to explore zones. They're definetly wrong on the first one, but I can see where alot of guild leaders and officers and just curious little people could find the Emu useful for plotting raids, groups, or just enjoying the scenery.

P.S. Nice sig D0rk :)

Fajo
04-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Hey guys been a wile sence i posted Last....

Anyways Intresting views but when it comes right down to it mostly why EMU's seem to exist is becuse people 1# dont want to pay SOE for the dumbarse Service #2 They like to mess with EQ or feel like God from time to time #3 They cant Stand the changed to EQ that SOE has changed sence they got there full grasps on it sence PoP. those seem to the most viewed so far as for posting there thats a Slap your ass with a ban Instant if SoE knew you were on a Emu =p

Cisyouc
04-15-2005, 06:42 AM
Hey guys been a wile sence i posted Last....

Anyways Intresting views but when it comes right down to it mostly why EMU's seem to exist is becuse people 1# dont want to pay SOE for the dumbarse Service #2 They like to mess with EQ or feel like God from time to time #3 They cant Stand the changed to EQ that SOE has changed sence they got there full grasps on it sence PoP. those seem to the most viewed so far as for posting there thats a Slap your ass with a ban Instant if SoE knew you were on a Emu =pThe only reason I'm here is I like the community, and daily I'm learning new things in C++ looking through the server code.

Stealth_raptor
04-16-2005, 10:05 PM
It's funny to read what half of them think. If I had of heard of EQEmu while I was playing on EQLive I probably would have come checked it out and made the switch. I liked EQ but didn't play it often enough to want to pay for it.

A_Random_EQLive_Player_01
05-10-2005, 08:05 PM
I'm a current EQ player and i love playing the emu, it's a great break from AA grinding and raiding all the time, it brings me back to the old days of grouping in places i haven't been to in ages.

It's great to go back to a bunch of these zones and just f around with awesome gear and then go back to regular EQ. It's amazing to go to all the old raiding zones that ZERO people actually go to anymore and kill stuff there.

Anyone who says EQEmu is for losers and lamers just hasn't looked the people who do this stuff, the admins and devs for EQEmu do probably as much work as regular programmers for things that they may or may not get paid for just cause they want to do it and it benefits a bunch of people who enjoy their hobby. Do they have any idea how hard it is to set up the servers and how much it costs to run them? (I don't, but i'm sure it's a lot more than just an internet connection, plus all the programming knowledge you have to have to keep everything up to date for people and keeping everything working)

/rant off (sorry)

RangerDown
05-11-2005, 01:48 AM
The technical side of the server is just half the battle. And if you're really serious about running a server that you expect dozens of players to play, I dare say it's the easier half.

We've had several extremely popular servers with very technically knowledgeable people running them, up and disappear from the very same issues that plague pay-for MMO services (balance, content, "people" issues, and so on).

One of the famous PvP servers run by a pair of ex emu devs was abruptly shut down after too many players felt that a couple of the GM's were corrupt and untrustworthy.

Another server that has enjoyed a large following for the past several months is about to make a very controversial decision with what direction it wants to go in the future, and if this decision is not made with the utmost care and consideration, it could spell the unfortunate end of that one as well.

There are quite a few servers out there that are content to just run with 10-15 people at prime time (and sometimes not even that). For those that are ambitious enough to try for a server with a population beyond that, I have to admire not only the work they put in to get it set up, but the issues they have to deal with on a day to day basis.

And it gives you a window into what the game companies have to deal with constantly too. The very same people play here, just in smaller proportions :D

Sarepean
05-11-2005, 08:15 AM
I think I'm glad a few of them haven't looked more recently at this stuff. Like the guy who said quests were practically non-existant--- wow, well, I was on the quest team for a while (was cut off for a few months from the Emulator world) and, when I left, they had quite a few, if even probably only a small percentage.

And, on another note, it won't cost $10k in hardware to run a good Emulator server. Heck, I'd say what would run you more than anything else would be the connection you put that server on.

While I agree that a stupid GM could ruin the experience for a playerbase, I've met a lot of very skilled people that have made the experience more enjoyable to me than SoE or Verant was ever able to do.

I also tend to agree that some people like pulling things apart and figuring out how they work. I'm just glad we have a few very skilled people doing it and not, say... me. =P So thanks, guys, we really do appreciate your hard work on this project.

And anyone looking to Everquest Emulator as the deathblow to the Everquest world has some denial issues. The expansions are being released for Everquest so fast nowadays that it's almost like SoE has known for some time that EQ was going to die out when EQ2 came out. I honestly don't believe EQEmu has had much to do with Everquest's death at all. Everquest became less fun for me the moment that they added PoK. No one HAD to see the world or know their way around when that happened. It pretty much made classic extinct, which was a shame since it was such a beautiful world. Then, they added LDoN... and suddenly, the classic zones were booming again with people of all levels--- running through, killing things you had been camping for hours, and other highly annoying stuff. SoE ruined Everquest for me and I wouldn't be paying them now regardless of the EQEmu project, and I'm fairly confident in saying that I'm not the only person that feels this way.

So thanks to everyone that works hard on this project to help it succeed and grow. It's so much more appreciated than I think you realize.

Yisasben
05-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Orignally posted in EQ's files by Treeslayer:
Basically, one Non-professional can change any or all events in the game. Orc pawns might drop Anguish loot, or Emperor Crush might have 2 million HP.

And this is different from the Stormhammer (legends) server how? O, we don't whine about it while we play like they do...

Windcatcher
05-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Not to mention the fact that there will be custom servers with NON-SOE custom content (zones and more). I predict that within 12 months (tops) there will be several EQEmu servers that have entirely original zones (i.e., do NOT originate from SOE) that only EQEmu players will be able to enjoy. I also predict that custom weapons will be around by then, at the very least. I don't know if anyone is working on player housing, but from a purely technical standpoint there is absolutely nothing preventing it. The tools are there to make it happen.

Who knows? If Daeken has enough time (or better yet, can recruit coders to help him) EQEmu may even have its own client.

Kensh
05-25-2005, 05:05 PM
Fact is the emulators dont work very well, most servers are down a lot or can handle a max of about 30 players, spells rarely work, most zones are quite wierd (non of pop works for example), if you've patched eq-live then the emulators wont work for you for several months, the emulators get broken again every time SOE patches

Taken from an actual post on that thread.

Apparently these people know a lot about emu's. They can indeed handle a max of 30 people, definately (WR's all time record on at one time was 244, that's close.)

Spells rarely work, except for the fact that ~70% of the spells already work that are in the DB. (Thou sometimes they may not give all the effects, that can be changed by coders.

Apparently none of the PoP expansion works, yet i see WR has a good bit of PoP maps spawned nicely, and they're adding more soon.

Then i guess the thing about it being broken every time SOE patches is semi true, thou only if they patch the "main" files. (Only reason DoN took so long to patch was because it was an entirely new EXPANSION, and not just an edit in a few values)

Yep, people on live surely do know a lot about emu, i wish i were as enlightened as them.

iamjooish
05-28-2005, 03:17 PM
what that guy above me said :p

Earlier today, I had no idea what a private server was; I was searching google for ways to farm plat, make easy exp, twink up 10 level 70s in a day, you name it (for real $$$, no less). Then I stumbled unto this little gem. Now mind you, I am by no means giving up the idea of dishing out 120$+ to SOE monthly so that I quest, xp whore, raid, and show off my shiny gears with the best of 'em, but this has to be one of the better alternatives to playing (grinding) for months on end so that one can experience just a few moments of 'uber geek' content. Get all of the necessary epics in under 10 minutes, bring all of the fables back to the game, give players the option of playing EQ it's classic, retail-esque state,fix any number of glaring issues with the game that SOE refuses to fix (caster pets that scale with plvl, ffs!)... you f*cking name it. Basicly, the Live team has learned the hard way that they can not keep running their game the way microsoft handles it's windows line of products and still keep their customers loyal. And now they can't keep me loyal anymore, either... but they might bring me back if they take the necessary steps to compete.

As for emulators like these, it's just a half-assed legal prediction but I doubt they will ever be able to eradicate private servers/ off-line play entirely.. maybe drive it a little underground than it alreaedy is.

solid11
05-29-2005, 01:20 PM
Emu is nothing but a tiny tear drop in Sony's Atlantic Ocean sized profits. We're kinda like the old crazy drunk uncle in Sony's family. They know we are here, but pretends we're not. If you get what I mean hehe.

Thatguyfoo
06-10-2005, 07:22 PM
ok i dont post much but ive been an avid eqemu fan since i found out about it o..i dunno 2 years ago? Anyway, i have played live for close to 4 years now and i think emu is a fabulous break from the humdrum life of normal eq. Only problem is its broken!! well for those of us that have patched to live anyway. So my 2 cents are anyone who thinks emu is a waste of their "precious" time needs to stuff it.

Oxalic
06-11-2005, 01:45 PM
I see a clear line of division between EQemu and EverQuest live. While Eqemu does resemble EQ live, it's quickly becoming it's own entity with a surplus of custom content made by the players that loved the game, but thought it needed change. Look around the forum and you'll view the continual and ongoing change, custom items, custom races, custom spells, custom zones, custom everything.

Oxalic
06-11-2005, 02:01 PM
As a matter of a fact, i read some of that thread. What they said made me feel an urge to reply, but i couldn't. The fact that they think we're killing there thousand upon thousand of player community, by creating our own community, a sperate entity, make me quite "mad and sad". The fact they think EqEmu is about cheating, and stealing, makes me invest in an invention to stab someone over the internet. The fact they think it's the same lame game, makes me cry. The fact they think people quit EQ to play a "replica" make me want to rant on and on.

*rant* *rant* *flame* *flame* *kill* *kill*

Oscar
06-12-2005, 07:19 AM
^
^
^
^
^
Scares me :smile:

But honestly, most are clueless as to what goes on outside of their little world.