PDA

View Full Version : The Station Exchange -- will soon allow RL selling of virtual items -- your thoughts

RangerDown
04-20-2005, 05:18 AM
Well, I guess it was never an *if* but a *when* this would happen.

http://eq2players.station.sony.com/news_archive.vm?id=457&section=News&month=current

This will start off being allowed on EQ2 only, and only on a couple servers at that. Do you think it will move over to EQLive? What are your thoughts on the subject?

04-20-2005, 06:18 AM
Sony has a deal with IGE thats how the EQ sales are monitored, because IGE owns mysupersales.com, ige.com and playerauctions.com which is the whole EQ market right there.

solid11
04-20-2005, 06:27 AM
My thoughts?? Well I wonder if they are gonna reinstate all the poor bastards they have banned over the years for doing just what they are about to do. Sony has to get their hands in everyones pocket to make sure they are gonna get a cut. I'm sure they will get flooded with petitions and emails asking for their accounts back.

If they're smart, they will use it on eq1 first where most item selling is going on.

Wolfgame
04-20-2005, 08:15 AM
smart people will just go to www.mmorpg-shop.com cause they underprice ige, there are other places to go.

KhaN
04-20-2005, 09:45 AM
It would be a great thing if it would have really solved the item selling problem, but it wont.

Personally, i always been against buying online items for RL money, i find it dumb, and it totally screw the game experience, the way SOE is doing it is a nice idea at base (like all SOE ideas), but in the end, it wont work, because on servers where items exchange is not supposed to happen, it will happen via other website such as the one mentionned up.

solid11
04-20-2005, 12:18 PM
Sure it still hurts gameplay, but when it was sorta taboo buying plat online it didn't/won't hurt the economy as much as SOE condoning it and putting it out there for everyone to do. Before, you didn't speak much about it on the server and prices pretty much stayed continual. Once everyone is doing it then player vendors will seriously JACKUP prices for their goods because they know peeps have access to plat in game and online, by that time. Maybe SOE has a card up their sleave and is doing this, not to take control of online selling, but to level the playing field again for those that never bought plat online. Once everyone is doing it, the prices will level out again, but at a higher rate, then again, for the ones that don't want to buy items or plat, they will be the ones hurting in the end. Ok brain hurting, thinking about this too much, long live eqemu!

m0oni9
04-21-2005, 05:09 AM
Of his three points, I can only see merit in the second one: time spent investigating issues with selling. The first and third? Since when it is a good idea to do something that players want? *grin* The third reason is PR fluff.

But I appreciate that he mentions:

"We've done a fair amount of homework on this subject, and we believe this is a $200 million dollar market worldwide..."

Personally, ebaying/server transfers annoyed me to no end when I played live. Hope it works out for players in the same boat.

dark_one
04-22-2005, 12:41 AM
lol this is crazy... b-s

<3 khan

Cisyouc
04-22-2005, 01:44 AM
I don't like that idea at ALL.

Not that I didn't see it coming, but there is no way in hell Id play eq(2)live ever again if this is put in.

Sony just wants a little of that $200 million.

Windcatcher
04-22-2005, 05:46 AM
Wow. Excuse me while lift my jaw from the floor. I'm glad I stopped playing live back in the Neolithic period. Unless they implement some sort of item decay, SOE's going to have to hire Alan Greenspan to deal with the inevitable inflation from all the farming that's going to take place. I see a lot of complaints about farmers coming from players in their future, too. SOE may make lots of dough from this as well as do away with issues of player complaints about fraudulent sales with other players, but I don't see how this can't make gameplay worse in the long run.

killspree
04-22-2005, 08:56 AM
After seeing this, the only question left in my mind is: How long until we see an official emulated server?

Ghost Fire
04-22-2005, 09:09 AM
This is a Bad, Bad, Bad, Idea. If they wanted to kill one of the Everquest's (1 and 2) they should had killed EQ1. But my guess to why they don't is cuz there is sooo many web sites and EBay stuff, they can't stick their Greedy hand in that pool of Money.
So they want to start to Noobify EQ2, go for it. Hey EQ, Try not to get sued by some lamer wanting quick cash for losing that Cloth Armor. If you don't think it will happen go ask McDonalds about Hot Coffie.

Cisyouc
04-22-2005, 12:40 PM
After seeing this, the only question left in my mind is: How long until we see an official emulated server?It wouldn't be emulated if it was the actual one. :P

RangerDown
04-23-2005, 07:39 AM
Well here's what Mythic Entertainment (makers of DAoC) said:

http://biz.gamedaily.com/features.asp?article_id=9464

killspree
04-23-2005, 06:09 PM
It wouldn't be emulated if it was the actual one. :P

Well you know what I mean.