PDA

View Full Version : Database Conversion.

sdabbs65
05-20-2005, 12:19 AM
Greetings,
I have the ability to convert MYSQL Databse files to MSACESS 2000.mdb format.
I was wondering if this would be usefull and if anyone is interested in
something like this before I go forward and create a files area for it.
basicly what I plan on doing is taking each field and making a mdb file for it.
for example.

items text.sql would be converted to items.mdb
you could then add whatever or modify it in a reader friendly format.
then I can convert it back when im done to a SQL format.
I have done a few fields already and it seems to be a good idea.
here is a few screenshots of what it looks like to give you an idea.

---edit this is for microsoft access 2003----

http://spacetrader.no-ip.info/loottable.jpg

http://spacetrader.no-ip.info/spawn2.table.jpg

cavedude
05-20-2005, 02:53 AM
Hmmm, I honestly I really don't see a real use for this. From the screenshots, it looks no different from editing the database with MySQL Control Center. Perhaps you have some use in mind that I overlooked?

sdabbs65
05-20-2005, 04:39 AM
Most access database users don't need to know SQL.
Anyone who has built anything in access even the most basic of queries using the Access query design window has already been using SQL without knowing it.
Access contains many tools and wizards that hep the user create a powerful database without having to learn SQL.
then it can be converted to SQL rather easy.
I was Basicly trying to make it a bit more easy to edit the database.
since so many people have Issues useing SQL.
not sure if it will be of help or not.
but it is another way of doing things rather than drudgeing thu SQL.

cavedude
05-20-2005, 08:24 AM
Ahhh I see ease of use. In that case I'm sure some people could use it. I would post it up. There is never anything wrong with sharing work. :)

WildcardX
05-24-2005, 05:52 AM
Not a bad idea... MySql Control Center isn't supported any longer and is not getting developed past what exists today, so Access isn't a bad idea I guess.

Doodman
05-24-2005, 06:30 AM
Why not just install the mysql odbc drivers and then use the real database from access?

Seems a lot simpler to me.

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/3.51.html

solid11
05-24-2005, 06:53 AM
A little help on this one Doodman. So I installed the drivers, how do you access the DB? Just open up access and go to the data folder of mysql? Which didn't work for me. No files seem compatible.

I use mysql-front now, but I'm willing to try something new if it will help find certain fields faster. Any help on using this would be great. Just need to know the steps to access the DB from access. Thanks.

sdabbs65
05-25-2005, 05:01 AM
A little help on this one Doodman. So I installed the drivers, how do you access the DB? Just open up access and go to the data folder of mysql? Which didn't work for me. No files seem compatible.

I use mysql-front now, but I'm willing to try something new if it will help find certain fields faster. Any help on using this would be great. Just need to know the steps to access the DB from access. Thanks.

The way I do it is I have a converter that converts the files from SQL to a excel.mdb file and when im done....
change it back to a SQL file useing the same converter.

solid11
05-25-2005, 01:20 PM
I don't suppose I can get my hands on this converter or explain how it's done could I?.....(beg,plead,grovel)

sdabbs65
05-25-2005, 11:45 PM
I don't suppose I can get my hands on this converter or explain how it's done could I?.....(beg,plead,grovel)

Well you could if you want to spend 40 bucks.
you can find it here.
http://www.softguru.net/products.htm

I will be releaseing the files on my website as one big database and
also each table seperately soon as im done revamping my board.
but im working on setting up a phpbb/nuke board atm so I have put this project on hold for a few weeks since it's not really needed.

WildcardX
05-26-2005, 07:28 AM
This thread has motivated me to write a tool that will be a EQEmu Server database administrator. I am finishing up my first beta version and hope to have it released for download sometime this weekend. It is my intent to write this tool in such a way that it will not only be backward compatible to every previous world database, but will also adapt to future databases. In fact, the basic functionality of this tool will also work on pretty much any MySQL Server database versions 4.0.x, 4.1 or the future 5.0. After the beta release I will add tools to the application that are specific to EQEmu record keeping. The basic functions will present all databases in "Microsoft Access" like views and allow record updating, deleting or inserting. This tool is written in C#.NET so you will need to download the Microsoft .NET 1.1 Framework to use it.

I will make an announcement in the coming days, when this beta version is ready for downloading.

Ghost Fire
05-26-2005, 04:16 PM
Very cool WildcardX. I'll download that :D

solid11
05-26-2005, 04:26 PM
I've been downloading several converter programs checking them out and I like the idea. Yeah, you can't make quick updates and hop right back in your server to check out the changes but on a mass fix scale it's much easier to find and read everything.