PDA

View Full Version : My server will be back!

gottasummer
05-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Hello everyone,
I ran a server about two years ago that lasted for about 6 months.

I am opening it again and I am going to invite some friends from school on it, and other people that I met and talk through on Yahoo / MSN from EQLive.

I am a EQLive member, and I LOVE everquest and Star Wars Galaxies!!!

I like EQEmu because I can do things in my server that I wish Sony did to theirs.

I legally own my copies of Everquest, and my server is for users who play on EQLive and know a little bit about the game.

Server specs:

P4 (2.6 ghz)
1 gig of RAM (hey, it is about 4 years old... I upgraded it)
Windows Server 2003
6MBPS line
200 gig hdd
Email (exchange server) account for all moderators.

Website with forums will be up soon.

I will post more later.

NOTE: I am just sharing my interest in everquest, and am not convincing others to pirate. I buy all of my EQ software and encourage others to do so, because it just is not right to be playing on a private server with pirated EQ, I think it is also wrong to play on EQEmu if you dont have live, because it is in a way making Sony to loose money. I do not care if you pirate, but all of the admins on the server are going to be required to validate their SOE status by meeting me on EQLive. Website will not contain any copyrighted materials other than the EQEmu logo, the EQ logo, etc, all will be linked back to the proper owner, and credit will be given to proper copyright holders.

sdabbs65
05-21-2005, 02:13 AM
Hello everyone,
I ran a server about two years ago that lasted for about 6 months.

I am opening it again and I am going to invite some friends from school on it, and other people that I met and talk through on Yahoo / MSN from EQLive.

I am a EQLive member, and I LOVE everquest and Star Wars Galaxies!!!

I like EQEmu because I can do things in my server that I wish Sony did to theirs.

I legally own my copies of Everquest, and my server is for users who play on EQLive and know a little bit about the game.

Server specs:

P4 (2.6 ghz)
1 gig of RAM (hey, it is about 4 years old... I upgraded it)
Windows Server 2003
6MBPS line
200 gig hdd
Email (exchange server) account for all moderators.

Website with forums will be up soon.

I will post more later.

NOTE: I am just sharing my interest in everquest, and am not convincing others to pirate. I buy all of my EQ software and encourage others to do so, because it just is not right to be playing on a private server with pirated EQ, I think it is also wrong to play on EQEmu if you dont have live, because it is in a way making Sony to loose money. I do not care if you pirate, but all of the admins on the server are going to be required to validate their SOE status by meeting me on EQLive. Website will not contain any copyrighted materials other than the EQEmu logo, the EQ logo, etc, all will be linked back to the proper owner, and credit will be given to proper copyright holders.

I disagree with that comment not all people are pirates who play eqemu.
we all have legal copys we just modified it to suit our needs.
that means we paid for it and deserve to play it any way we see fit..
i think thats only fair.
if you think it fair for some major company to rip you off for what 13 bucks a month after you already paid for the software that your choice.

gottasummer
05-21-2005, 04:11 AM
Oh no, I did not mean it that way.

Some people that I know of just hop on Bittorrent and download it, or go online and get that eq trilogy trial just to play on EQEmu.

I actually pay close to $30 a month to SOE to play their games.

But think of it... you can get EQ for like under $10 at your local game store or Wal-Mart, it costs them so much to develop the games. and then people will connect to them to download the updates.

I do that for games like DAoC and UO, so I shouldn't be talking about that, I just wanted to make sure that people that will go on my server know that I will be collecting packets for its database from Live for items (once a live-compatible build is out) and maps, and that SOE deserves credit for making a wonderful game.

Rogean
05-21-2005, 05:32 AM
Star Wars Galaxies sucks now. Down with the combat upgrade =(

gottasummer
05-21-2005, 05:53 AM
I haven't played it in a while... but I still have it... I stopped for a while after that expansion came out, I got it, and it is just odd... it broke the trade routes and such, now you can travel and it is becomming too odd too quickly.

long live everquest

Rogean
05-23-2005, 03:44 AM
You mean Jump to Lightspeed? That just gave you a starship so you could play in space and travel between any starport you wanted.

The Combat Upgrade went live in April 2005 (This year) and completely ruined the game.

RangerDown
05-23-2005, 04:39 AM
I believe that once a game has been out for more than a certain amount of time, it's too late to change the fundamental core of the game. Face it, lots of people are resistant to change, even when the change just consists of minor tweaks. And they pull out the core mechanics and redo them like a whole new game.

Incidentally, the 5/11 patch that broke Emu came from a big "re envisioning" of classes that they had been doing the past several months.

You gotta wonder if SOE is deliberately making big changes instead of minor tweaks so they can get the publicity among the gaming magazines. Maybe they think that just a little tweaking and rebalancing isn't worth it, if they're gonna spend any effort at all they want some advertising out of it too.

gottasummer
05-23-2005, 09:04 AM
I believe that SOE has been changing a lot to change many things.

I am a C++ programmer myself... and I started on a server emulator for SWG. (that one that people were talking about on ragezone and other sites)

I got a nasty email from someone at SOE that claims to work in legal affairs, that told me to stop making the program, (all I had was up to server list, no maps or anything.. just let you login and backended by an access database by using ADO.NET) because it could make them loose millions, and I would be held responsible.

SOE is changing EQ I believe only to stop showEQ and EQEmu.

SOE does have some evil in them, but they have to make a living, too.

Aonelyn
07-19-2005, 01:35 AM
rogean and his swg..