PDA

View Full Version : Elements of Norrath Recruitment

_Kerosh_
05-28-2005, 02:55 AM
UPDATE AT BOTTOM

*Note*
Elements of Norrath Image did not make it onto the post.
Server Line: Paths lead to many directions. Where will yours lead?
(Included on the Elements of Norrath Recruitment Picture)

Come make your own legend at the Elements of Norrath Server. We are currently looking for staff to fill our numerous positions.
We need:
C++ Programmers:
C++ Programmers will be dealing with a lot of C++ code. We might have class changes, etc. You never know what to expect. This team is currently be led by Cleaver.

World Builders:
In the World Building Team you will be making items and building our zones. You will learn how to balance as a master from mentors, and how to make items if you get a good rank. High Ranking people of this team will get Remote Access to the server to make items.

PERL Programmers:
High ranking PERL Programmers will have Remote Access to the server so they can insert PERL code and so they can create items. PERL Programmers develop systems, quests, AI, etc. You will learn how to make advanced AI that no server uses (except perhaps WoA). You will develop systems such as Raiding Systems. People in this team should love to program. They work heavily with the World Builders, and communication must be kept up between the leaders of each team.

Player Relations:
Probably our biggest and most general team is the Player Relations Team. They run the website and the mailing service. They host events in the server, help players, and solve issues. These people are here for the players. If you have a problem in your life and you need to talk to somebody about it, these people are here for you. They are also the main recruiters. Should have a general understanding of all the teams.

Writers:
Yes, we need writers to write stories. We already have a storyline, but our current writer is getting very tired of writing and he needs help. Writing should be of high quality and in book format. Remember, people are going to be reading this. You are also allowed to build up mini-storylines within the main one that players can follow. The writers are the people that setup the server. They basically tell the other teams what they need to do next.

Please email the address below for questions or information on joining the server:
Tidesofwarpvp@hotmail.com

Please include these questions, answered, in the email.

C++ Form:
What is your past experience with C++?
Have you ever worked on an emulator server before?

Please include a sample showing us you know C++, and follow these guidelines:
Run it and it opens a window. You click it, it opens up another window. You click it, a red ball pops up with a diameter of 3. It bounces around the screen. You click it again, and a black ball pops up, diameter of 2. They bounce off of each other and bounce off the sides of the screen. You click it again, four balls pop up, one with a diameter of 4, one with 1, one with 2, another with 4.
After this, we will send you an email back telling you if you need to be interviewed or not. In the interview, you will be made into a normal member, or an apprentice, it will be decided based on what kind of person you are, etc.

PERL Form:
What is your past experience with PERL?
Have you ever worked on an emulator server before?

Please include a sample code of the following:
When you hail an NPC, he either tells you, leave me alone, or Hi there. When you hail him again, he says, what are you doing? If you say Hi, He says, well this is a fine day, or he says, No!!! Father!!! He will only say that if he said Hi there. If you say leave me alone, then he will say, as you wish, but only if he said leave me alone. If you give him Item ID 1, he says, I?ve been looking for this for years now, tx. If you give him 1 item in each slot, Item ID?s 2,3,4,5, he will say, I like peanuts. If you enter within 5 feet of him, he will hail you and praise your name. If you leave that area of 5 feet, he will dislike you and follow you around for 30 seconds, then he will proceed back to his spawn point. When he stops, 5 guys will spawn around him, NPC ID, 1,2,3,4,5. They in turn will talk, one will say, Why did you call me? Then after that, one will say, Ya. He will then say, I needed you all. The next one will then say, for what? The one after that will say, Ya, for what? He will then say, Cuz. The last one will say, Cuz? The 5 attack him and if he wins (kills all five), he will cheer and go after the person who set it off. If he kills that person, he will depop. If he loses, the 5, or whoever is left, will go after the person who set it off.
After this, we will send you notice for an interview if you have qualified. From there, we will decide if you need to be an apprentice or not.

Can?t code like that? Then join as an apprentice ^^.
Don?t even know any PERL? New to Emu? Join as an apprentice.

Our mentors are always there to help.

Player Relations:
Long interview with the Team Leader, or the server team.
Don?t know anything at all? Become an apprentice under one of our mentors. They will train you and watch over you.

World Building:
Test and interview with the Team Leader. He will decide if you need to be an apprentice or not.

You don?t know how to world build? You are a horrible world builder and you know it? Join as an apprentice ^^.

Writers:
This is a secondary team. Must apply for one of the above.

Currently, staff leadership is being re-decided. You might make one of the leaders, so drop on in.

Ok, redid the teams things. This is my first attempt, it will probably be changing about nine times over the next month.
Server Team:
Leader: Kate
Staff:
Sir? Kerosh? Orknel?

C++ Team:
Leader: N/A
Sub-Teams:
1. System Design and Management xxxxxxLeader: N/A

World Building Team:
Sub-Teams:
1. World Building Team 1 xxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
2. World Building Team 2 xxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
3. World Building Team 3 xxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
4. Item Creation Team 1 xxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
5. Item Creation Team 2 xxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
6. Database Development Team 1 Leader: N/A
7. Database Development Team 2 Leader: N/A

PERL Programmers:
Sub-Teams:
1. Quest Design xxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
2. AI Design xxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
3. Systems Design xxxxxxLeader: N/A

Player Relations:
Sub-Teams:
1. Email Service and Support xxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
2. Web Design and Management xxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
3. GM Support xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
4. Event Set-Up xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
5. Sub-PERL Team (For Events) xxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
6. Sub-World Build Team (For Events) xxxxLeader: N/A

Writers:
Sub-Teams:
1. Writing Team 1 xxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
2. Writing Team 2 xxxxxxxxLeader: N/A

Modelers:
Sub-Teams
1. Weapon Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
2. City Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
3. Oceans Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
4. Plane Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
5. Wilderness Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
6. Underground Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
7. Air Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
8. Farm/Outposts Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
9. Props Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
10. NPC Modeling Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
11. Armor Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
12. Cultural Aspect Team xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
13. Programming Animations Design xxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A

Priority:
Recruitment
World Maps
NPC Listing
Quest Listing
Item Listing
Goals
Sub-Goals
Core Quests
Secondary Questing
Outside Quests
Sub-Plots
System Set-Up (C++ Programming)
Figure out where to put a new array list

ETA:
Hahaha, lol, don't ask ;p. For the first part we release, I am guessing 6-8 months. Possibly a full year, not sure. If we can get a full staff, time will probably be 3 months.

Cisyouc
05-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Run it and it opens a window. You click it, it opens up another window. You click it, a red ball pops up with a diameter of 3. It bounces around the screen. You click it again, and a black ball pops up, diameter of 2. They bounce off of each other and bounce off the sides of the screen. You click it again, four balls pop up, one with a diameter of 4, one with 1, one with 2, another with 4.Feel free to do what you want, I'm just putting my input in. Why would this kind of knowledge in C++ relate to the server code itself? A server setup such as EQEMu shouldnt require the knowledge of opengl or some sort of rendering. And it is never specified for what operating system you need your developers to use, it could make a world of difference if you're asking them to make a graphical application such as that.

Just my 2 cents, I dont mean to rain on your parade :)

_Kerosh_
05-28-2005, 11:00 AM
Just wanna see if they atleast know basic C++, that's all. All I could think of, lol

Woodlife Treestrider
06-18-2005, 07:01 AM
Website is almost done. Server is ready for editing. We are on a temp. server that we will use for I do not know how long. Kate (luft) has made the website, and is hosting the server (or her brother will be in a bit). The site looks awesome, and when we finish puting all information on there, it will be open. Currently, we are looking for another DB editor to carry some of the load, in order to speed this process up. Also, we need a couple people to work on openzone. We do not want someone who barely knows openzone, please have a lot of experience under your belt. Pictures and examples of custom zones you have made would be helpful. Also, on the openzone subject, when site is opened up, if you would like to apply we will have a guideline for you to make a zone for us. If it looks nicely done and how we asked, chances are you are in.

Also, please do not send in applications if you just want to say you WERE a dev for this server. We need people who are there for the long run. The biggest factor is that there is going to be a huge amount of customization in the server, and this will take a lot of time and effort, and we want people willing to put that forth. One example of custom content we plan on implementing is that there will no longer be classes that you choose in the beginning, you will have one class choice and then as you get higher in the game, you choose a new ability and skills, and ultimately your "hybrid" class. Kind of ike saying you could be a monk that can heal. I know it sounds a bit confusing to some people, but I do not want to ruin the whole game. More info on how the server will be is going to be posted on the website as soon as it is up for public view. So once again, if you have any questions or comments regarding this, either post it, or send an email to either the email kerosh provided, or to myself at steven_white10@yahoo.com. Your best bet is to just get onto MSN messenger as luft, kerosh, and myself are usually on. My MSN is steven_white10@hotmail.com, luft is the one that kerosh provided, and kerosh's i forget at this moment.

Nikoli
06-18-2005, 09:19 PM
I'm interested in joining as an apprentance world builder.. my email is benmoroney@hotmail.com or you can PM me

_Kerosh_
06-27-2005, 06:39 AM
Updated!

6-27-05

Night74
06-27-2005, 11:15 AM
Feel free to do what you want, I'm just putting my input in. Why would this kind of knowledge in C++ relate to the server code itself? A server setup such as EQEMu shouldnt require the knowledge of opengl or some sort of rendering. And it is never specified for what operating system you need your developers to use, it could make a world of difference if you're asking them to make a graphical application such as that.

Just my 2 cents, I dont mean to rain on your parade :)

Actualy that can be done without directx or open GL it's just a realy big pain LOL whenever I get time to finish up on my C++ I have to do a basic airhocky game *cringes* as for a basic test for a coder for an emu I'd recomend a simple windows prog that does multiple math equations just can't make it to somple though I kinda like the ball chalange as you need to add colision detection into the equation. However I do not think all that is overly needed since your just moding aka emulating a game where the physics are allready built in.

_Kerosh_
06-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Well, it is still very basic. I am probably going to change the test around, that was just the first thing that came to mind.

loser
06-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Hi,

send me a PM if you need me for GM side.
I am playing eq since 1999 and on several Servers Senior Guide.

Loser

Cisyouc
06-28-2005, 04:51 PM
Actualy that can be done without directx or open GL it's just a realy big pain LOL whenever I get time to finish up on my C++ I have to do a basic airhocky game *cringes* as for a basic test for a coder for an emu I'd recomend a simple windows prog that does multiple math equations just can't make it to somple though I kinda like the ball chalange as you need to add colision detection into the equation. However I do not think all that is overly needed since your just moding aka emulating a game where the physics are allready built in.
You could. But then again, are you really testing the skills needed for a network application?

_Kerosh_
06-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Well, we need more of systems design, don't know what to test for. Ahhhh, i am only a basic C++ Programmer, : P

Night74
06-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Cisyouc that is true if you want a bunch of net coders heh but thats not needed.
Befor you can test for knowledge of net code you must first decide what arch/api you are going to use dx,winsock,ect... Right now it seems their looking for basic programers so I asume the intent on finding a primary net coder or 2 once enough of a team is filled. If we want to get technical though they seem to be talking more of a standalone emu that includes custome content. That custome content will need to be added into the clients thus some understanding in dx or opengl will be needed to interface the custome parts into the client software.
In the end it is all going to depend on where they plan to go and how deep as to how many of what type coders and levels of coders they will be needing. My responce to the test was mearly to eliminate the graphical end of the test as you recomended =p Net code was never part of the begining.

Cisyouc
06-29-2005, 02:04 AM
Cisyouc that is true if you want a bunch of net coders heh but thats not needed.
Befor you can test for knowledge of net code you must first decide what arch/api you are going to use dx,winsock,ect... Right now it seems their looking for basic programers so I asume the intent on finding a primary net coder or 2 once enough of a team is filled. If we want to get technical though they seem to be talking more of a standalone emu that includes custome content. That custome content will need to be added into the clients thus some understanding in dx or opengl will be needed to interface the custome parts into the client software.
In the end it is all going to depend on where they plan to go and how deep as to how many of what type coders and levels of coders they will be needing. My responce to the test was mearly to eliminate the graphical end of the test as you recomended =p Net code was never part of the begining.
I said network application in general, as the Emulator is. I wasnt referring to the netcode itself. And there is a difference. If you are working with the server but dont understand the network protocol (but can make an awesome bouncing ball in the console window) its going to hurt your ability.

C++ Programmers will be dealing with a lot of C++ code. We might have class changes, etc. You never know what to expect. This team is currently be led by Cleaver.This makes it sound like you will be working with the current emulator, then, Night74. Thus, all I was originally saying was, that a 'test' that is more server oriented would probably be more appropriate.

If you are editing the client, thats quite illegal and prepare for a call from Sony like WR :)

Night74
06-29-2005, 05:55 AM
Cisyouc
Sorry your statment was openended and I guess I read further into then you ment it to be read, and I know the dif between coding the basic understanding of protocals and stacks As for what their doing Re-read what they are looking for

Sub-Teams:
1. Writing Team 1 xxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
2. Writing Team 2 xxxxxxxxLeader: N/A

Modelers:
Sub-Teams
1. Weapon Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
2. City Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
3. Oceans Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
4. Plane Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
5. Wilderness Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
6. Underground Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
7. Air Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
8. Farm/Outposts Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
9. Props Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
10. NPC Modeling Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
11. Armor Design xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
12. Cultural Aspect Team xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A
13. Programming Animations Design xxxxxxxxxxxxLeader: N/A

This = to new areas models the works (from what I am reading from it) IE they are ussing the basics of the emu striping it down and making their own world out of it andya your right they will eventualy get a call from soney unless they make their own engine and all.
basicaly this does not realy fall under emulation it's in the Mod category
personaly I think if they are going to go as far as their "we need" list intails they should work with the EMU to establish the team unity then start frome scratch working on their own game.
anyhow back to work =p

Woodlife Treestrider
06-29-2005, 09:34 AM
We will probably be making a new engine sooner or later given the staff.

Cisyouc
06-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Night74: Point taken. I didnt really look through the teams, I skimmed it and scrolled past all the various teams. :)

Aonelyn
07-19-2005, 01:28 AM
this server still being worked on?

Aydun
08-04-2005, 05:18 PM
Greetings,

No unfortunately it's not.. everyone who actually did anything has moved onto a side project some of us were working on , Dawn of War, feel free to stop by :)

omle_555
09-02-2005, 07:59 PM
i would like to apply as world builder. or whatever u need help in im looking to get dedicated into a good server.

i have made several servers but quite awhile ago. as well as served as GM on servers like richardos old Lord Of The Rings Server , Virus's COE server back in the day and a few others. i know most commaNDS in game and basic quest writting PM me if u intrerested.

Kikaro
09-03-2005, 11:34 AM
Omle, the post right above yours says the server is no longer in production...

omle_555
09-03-2005, 08:11 PM
;) im not a good reader oviously ;)