PDA

View Full Version : LOC positions in ground editor?

sirreality
06-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Is there any way to see position in the ground editor? I'm making an outdoor zone with a zone line (imagine west commons) that extends across a portion of the zone length, but not across the whole length of the zone. I would like to make the line a specific length, stretching across a specific loc range. However, i can neither specify the length of the line, nor see the current location as i'm extending the line to determine exactly how far it reaches. I estimate the size of a single block in the ground editor to be about 65 units, so i can calculate the number of blocks that the line needs to cover, but this is cumbersome.

Another nice idea would be to see the zone lines in the main window. I can see the zone bounds around the edges, but i cannot see the zone lines. Perhaps i am missing something on this one and it is an option. If so, please let me know.

It's a fabulous tool, by the way, and i do not mean to sound critical or complain. I am just seeing something that might be useful to others as well, so i'm asking.

Windcatcher
06-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Each grid square in the ground editor is exactly 64 units. Though I haven't seen your zone, I don't understand why the zone lines need to be that exact -- if they extend out into areas the players can't reach, it shouldn't harm anything (and if you click File...Export...Export zone line info to .ZPT it will create a file that tells you what to put into the zone_points table). What are you trying to build that the length of the zone line needs to be exact? If I can understand what the issue is maybe I can help. Is it an issue with entering zone line data into the database?

You can see the zone lines in the main window by opening the display options pane on the right side (the icon that looks like a monitor) and checking "show zonelines". They should show up in a similar manner to zone bounds, but with a slight purplish tint.

sirreality
06-02-2005, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the tip on showing zonelines. If that option were a poisonous snake, i'd be dead ;)

The reason i am using precise loc ranges for zone lines is because i have a zone with a western border and two roads that diverge (in a yellow wood, of course), one that zones to a connected zone on the south-west and the other to a zone on the north-west. Think east --> west commons, but this is more like east --> north-west commons and east --> south-west commons. Granted, i could mountainize the whole thing and use two zone exits, but i want the same effect as east - west commons, an open zoneline. And yes, in this case i could divide the zone in half and put zonelines in accordingly. However, this becomes more difficult with an open zoneline where -7000 < zonelineA < -2000 and a second zoneline where 3000 < zonelineB < 10,000 and the whole zone on this axis is -15,000 < x < 15,000.

/rambling explanation off ;)

Windcatcher
06-02-2005, 08:12 AM
Hmmm. What if you put in some really tiny zone bounds between the two zonelines and extended the ends of the zone lines into the area where the players couldn't reach? I'm thinking that you would only need two zone bounds, sort of like the point of a triangle, and just extend the zone bounds into that area. There would be no visual change, but if the players ran into the bounds they would slide along it to the zone line. If you do this, make sure you have the snap-to-endpoint option on so the ends of the zone bounds will meet at the point.