PDA

View Full Version : OpenZone Sample Scenes (scenepack 1)

Windcatcher
06-07-2005, 02:53 PM
I've uploaded five zones in .SCN form that I've created entirely within OpenZone:

Windcatcher's Zone
Peshara Highlands
Canyons of Gur
Veldona
The Namtarn

Each is meant to illustrate how to do various things in OpenZone and can be improved, especially Veldona and The Namtarn.

Zone connections:

You can connect them any way you want, but on my test server, Windszone is the starting zone (reached by PoK book). Peshara Highlands lies to the south, and the Canyons of Gur lie to the west of that. Veldona is to the west of the canyons, and The Namtarn is the southern extension of Veldona.

The Namtarn has a zone exit to the west for any zones you may want to add (I was thinking of a desert zone -- you'll see why when you look at it), and Peshara Highlands has a zone exit to the east that is similarly unused. Windszone has a shoreline to the east, perhaps reachable by ship. There is also an ancient legend of a hidden, well-guarded tunnel somewhere in the Canyons of Gur that leads to an underground zone...

Easter eggs:

Peshara Highlands has a hidden path to a somewhat secret northern area. Can you find it?

The Canyons of Gur is *riddled* with cul-de-sacs, and has a small tunnel somewhere in it that can lead to a possible underground zone you might want to add.

Veldona has a tunnel hidden in the mountains leading to a secret cove. The zone also has the start of a city (the many tartan patterns should give you a hint as to the race).

The Namtarn has a larger dungeon in it, and it is necessary to traverse part of it to reach the zone exit to the west (hint: Dungeon Builder 1.7 comes with the dungeon I created for it).

The zones are available here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=88515&package_id=128908&release_id=333409

You will need my sample textures for these zones. My sample textures are available here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=88515&package_id=128908&release_id=276191

Sakrateri
06-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Hey there WC , Zones are cool looking and would like to see them in game but when I zone into them there is nothing there , When I export them the get stuck for a long time on encoding placeable mesh objects. not sure if that has anything to do with it of not . any ideas? when I zone in I can only see sky and have tried all kinds of #goto locs to no avail.

Oh , also where do the masks go ? are the suppose to be in a folder called masks in the library?

Windcatcher
06-08-2005, 03:02 PM
The masks are merely for making textures. OpenZone doesn't use them at all, but I included them in case anyone wants to use them to make new variants (e.g. a road on a different background). I use TextureMaker to make all of my textures, and it allows mixing textures with opacity masks.

Some of the zones have pretty wild coordinates. The reason for it is because, if you're using ZoneProxy, the client caches the sound info from the replacement zone (e.g. tutorial) and it means that you'll still hear tutorial sounds. ZoneProxy merges the sound information from your zones together with tutorials so they are all in the same zone...that way you can hear any ambient sounds you set from within the ground editor. If you're just replacing zones outright without using ZoneProxy, this isn't an issue.

You should load the zones in OpenZone and enter fly mode, then look at your position along the bottom status bar to find good positions for entering them. They're set pretty far from normal coordinates so their sounds won't interfere with each other.

They can take a long while to export, especially Veldona. It has to do with all the light sources...OpenZone has to raytrace every poly in the light radius to see how it's lit (or if a poly is blocking the light). Be prepared to wait upwards of 15 minutes per zone.

Sakrateri
06-08-2005, 09:40 PM
The cords dont ever seem to change when I walk around, I put the ones in it did show for veledona 0, -7889, -426 and still see nothing , are the cords suppose to change as you walk around in openzone?

EDIT: lol nm I could only ever see the big cords , pulled the whole window up some and now I see the ones you mean , sorry and thanks, Now I see it , Nice :)

Oxalic
06-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Are people allowed to use these? or are they just for show?

Windcatcher
06-10-2005, 01:15 PM
As far as I'm concerned, you can do whatever you want with them.