PDA

View Full Version : Platform compatibility?

tancor
06-09-2005, 06:15 AM
Has anyone tried to compile the linux version on a non-intel based processor?

Cisyouc
06-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Which non-intel arch are you referring to?

tancor
06-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Sparc/UltraSparc.

I happen to have a Sun Ultra 80 quad 400MHz ultrasparc w/ 2gigs ram sitting around doing nothing, and if I could get it to run the world and zones, that'd be kinda nice I'd think, it should have enough power to spare. I would be running debian 3.0r4 (I could run solaris 10, but I figured all of the headers and such expected a linux platform)

cavedude
06-10-2005, 03:08 AM
You'll have endian problems so short answer it won't work. :)

tancor
06-10-2005, 06:09 AM
You'll have endian problems so short answer it won't work. :)

I'm not 100% sure I agree - the endian issues would really only appear in the communication layers (unless some of the emulator is written in assembly, which I thought it was all C/C++) - if knowing that everything is sent little endian, conversion would just need to be done on the server to convert everything to little endian or from little endian before operating on the data. But, unless everquest violates standard network byte order rules, everything transmitted/received over tcp/ip should be uniform (network byte order, which as I recall is big endian) for proper communication between platforms...

just my .02cp

cavedude
06-10-2005, 06:35 AM
Oh I do agree it is possible which is why I said short answer. Converting to little isn't a problem there is plenty of software available that can do that. The big problem would come during compiling. I know others have taken a crack at SPARC systms and personally I tried many times to get Emu to run under Yellow Dog on a G3 and so far that I know of nobody has been successful. Unfortunately, my coding isn't great so there isn't much I can do. If you have some coding skills I'd say give it a shot.

tancor
06-10-2005, 06:55 AM
Oh I do agree it is possible which is why I said short answer. Converting to little isn't a problem there is plenty of software available that can do that. The big problem would come during compiling. I know others have taken a crack at SPARC systms and personally I tried many times to get Emu to run under Yellow Dog on a G3 and so far that I know of nobody has been successful. Unfortunately, my coding isn't great so there isn't much I can do. If you have some coding skills I'd say give it a shot.

Gotchya, I see where you are coming from now. I can code, but the complexity level of this server, and the amount of far more talented coders on this project developing code makes me think that attempting to do a convert by myself is not feasible.

One day I may try to compile it for pure humors sake just so I can see the amount of errors tho ;)

I was hoping someone else might have tried and been at least partially successful.