PDA

View Full Version : New and I have a few questions

EQstarr
06-16-2005, 03:25 AM
Hi, I'm new here.

I've grown tired of how SOE continues to change EQ, and I really miss the old version. This EQ emulator is very fascinating, but there are many things I don't quite understand.

I was wondering if it is possible to run the "original" EQ with the emulator. No expansions, no new spell effects, no luclin models, old UI.... just the original, classic version of EQ.

I've seen people post about their own "private" servers. Does this mean that you can essentially play a "1-player" version of EQ on your computer without having to log into anything? I wouldn't mind doing that just to explore some old zones, and I read that some raid leaders on EQ Live will explore content using EQemu before setting up raids on EQ Live.

My wife and I have two computers networked together. Is it possible for the two of us to play "classic EQ" together using the emulator? Can we invite friends to play with us from their computer? Are we even able to host a private server on just a regular P4 computer, or do you need something more powerful?

Thanks.

Dr Zauis
06-16-2005, 11:59 PM
OK..Im going to try to answer your questions.
I dont have much personal experience so my answers are based on what I have learned from the forums itself..
If I am incorrect with my answers I invite anyone to correct me.

First..Its not possible to play an original unpatched version of EQ. Or any unpatched version for that matter..Many people have asked the question
and I guess EQ was patched from the very beginning. So it may not even be possible to start from scratch and create a specific emulator to play that way.
It is possible to play on a private network or even run the emulator and play the game on a single computer if its powerful enough..Most computers of today can probably run both at same time..I guess you will be using something called minilogin for that..
If you want friends to play with you..You will have to use the log in server
for that..But you can lock your server for your own private use..
Im sure a P4 computer has more than enough power to host a server. And even play on the same but you may want more ram. I have no experience in this area so more ram may not even be needed if there are very few players
ever playing..

mystic414
06-17-2005, 01:45 AM
You can't play an unpatched version of EQ because the EQEmu server is written to communicate with the patched version of EQ. There are countless changes in every aspect of the game since EQ began.

You can easily host a server and play on the same computer. You don't need a particularly fantastic computer to do it, either. I have a 3.0GHz, 512 RAM, 128 MB Video Card and it's way overkill.

To play "1-player mode" or with your wife, you can either set up a LAN server using Minilogin (search the forums for a LAN setup guide) or host a server online, which friends not on your local network could join. More complicated setups are possible but not recommended (nor officially supported) until you're very familiar with how EQEmu works.

Good luck, there's a steep learning curve to getting a server set up, but it's worth it in the end, trust me :P Feel free to drop by the #support channel on irc://irc.eqemulator.net and ask for help if you're stuck.

EQstarr
06-17-2005, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the help.

Since the emulator works on the patched version, am I subject to the latest patch that EQ has out there? Or is it possible to work off a very, very early patch of EQ like before Luclin? Where would you find a patch like this? Could you just delete some of the new files that EQ patcher installs, or would that totally mess stuff up?

I'm just wondering if it's possible to bring back the old spell effects, working boats, Grobb with Trolls, Neriak how it used to be, and some of the original MIDI files that SOE replaced with MP3's.

I've noticed that Winter's Roar has managed to do some incredible stuff, but I can't even begin to think how they did it. That Scorpion 2K looks really good too.

mystic414
06-17-2005, 06:32 AM
Yes, you are subject to the latest patch from SOE. Patches like the ones you are asking about would not work with any version of EQEmu, old or new.

I'm just wondering if it's possible to bring back the old spell effects, working boats, Grobb with Trolls, Neriak how it used to be, and some of the original MIDI files that SOE replaced with MP3's.The short answer is "no".
- There's currently a thread going about trying to bring back old spell effects. You can search for the thread, but my guess is that this will never happen.
- Almost all boats just simply don't work. The client no longer supports them, as far as we can tell. There have been many threads about this.
- Spawns in zones are handled by a database. The official releases don't have old zones (this is something I would like to see, too... specifically Cazic Thule). It's certainly possible to do, but AFAIK there are no databases out there with the old setups for those zones.
- I don't know how music is handled by the client. It may be possible to revert to midi's, but I couldn't tell you how.