PDA

View Full Version : Game Programming

Sarepean
06-28-2005, 08:32 AM
I was interested in doing some game programming a while back, specifically RPG, but a ton of games were released by major companies and I ended up sucked into the pay to play customer base instead.

But I still managed to do some work--- in QBasic. (Please don't flame me) =P

I have some knowledge of C/C++, but no real money at all and I'm wanting to try and do 2d or Isometric. I need Directx or OpenGL knowledge for that, I'd imagine, so I was wondering if anyone knew any good places to get started on DirectX or Isometric engines in C/C++. It doesn't have to be specific to RPGs, but I would like it to be somewhat relevent if at all possible. Just DirectX tutorials in general would be nice. Ebooks would be awesome. =P

Thanks in advance!
-Sarepean

howdytest
06-28-2005, 01:55 PM
gamedev.net

one of the best resources i've found...make sure to check the forums.

Aydun
07-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Greetings,

Gamedev is a great place, I prefer to work from paper source, and all I can say is a fantastic resource for learning everything you're talking about is the thompson course technology books.. I don't have their WWW atm, but if you search that in google you'll find them.. They have a fantastic primer for C++, OpenGL, DirectX and many others !! I highly recommend th em, as i feel the same way as you do