PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Defend WR from SOE for the Future of EQEmu

greg_boz
06-29-2005, 11:01 AM
Hmm, ... it seems there's a lot of emotion around here. The point is : one of the highest quality and most achieved server in EQEmu family is down. Because maybe it was getting too good and too popular.

This sounds like a threat to work given by all valuable pple around this place : aren't devs and sops trying to build good and popular servers ? What if SOE just decides to close it down when it becomes good and popular ?
It seems like the very obvious answer to this question is yes. And cleary if WR packs up and leaves without a fight SOE has successfully landed a precedent that will spell the dismissal of any future successful eqemu server/project. Said another way, if in the future SOE deems any eqemu project a threat, they will follow the exact same procedure they used to get WR to shut down, and they will succeed. Unless we collectively act now to protect WR.

It is of course unrealistic to expect the WR staff to shoulder the burden by themselves. There are hundreds of people who read these boards, someone must have contacts they can use to try and feel out our options as a community. There are also organizations like the EFF(www.eff.org) that have funding and exist to protect projects like eqemu.

For those of you who are jumping onto the new client bandwagon please consider this:

Please don't get pissed at this because I'm just saying how I feel and it's just an opinion.

Also, I like WC's enthusiasm for a totally custom content server, BUT what drew me to this site is because it is "EQ"Emu. I love that I can play and help create live like content without putting up with Sony's BS. To be totally honest I would have never come to this site if it wasn't about EQ, and I am willing to bet 99.9% of everyone else would say the same thing.

kathgar
07-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Huh? How can precedent be established without a court case?

steihl
07-03-2005, 01:57 AM
Huh? How can precedent be established without a court case?

I believe he's talking about establishing a precedent by standing behind EqEmu and WR so Sony knows that although they might be able to strongarm someone to shut down their server, that they're only losing current and future customers because of it.

I'll never buy SoE again...

Cailin
07-03-2005, 04:57 AM
It's always a good idea to stand behind what you believe in, but in the case of WR, it's already gone and isn't going to come back. Let's face it: Wiz has already moved on to that other project. Nothing that we say or do (as members of this EQEmu community) will be able to bring that back, probably.

I think this is a classic case of pledging support behind something only after something bad has happened to it. Unfortunately, this little bout is "too little, too late." Perhaps protecting servers should be a little higher in the priority list for many of the people who play on them in the future.

steihl
07-03-2005, 05:50 AM
It's always a good idea to stand behind what you believe in, but in the case of WR, it's already gone and isn't going to come back. Let's face it: Wiz has already moved on to that other project. Nothing that we say or do (as members of this EQEmu community) will be able to bring that back, probably.

I think this is a classic case of pledging support behind something only after something bad has happened to it. Unfortunately, this little bout is "too little, too late." Perhaps protecting servers should be a little higher in the priority list for many of the people who play on them in the future.

Actually, if you'd read the DawTide page, you'd realize they'd been working on DT as a back burner for some time.. and even on the page it states that they might possibly bring WR back up.

And not all of us are "jumping on the bandwagon" a lot of us were WR supporters before the CnD and have continued to be.