PDA

View Full Version : IMporting from 3DS question!!

Aydun
07-16-2005, 01:53 PM
Greetings,

I LOVE OpenZone !! I thinks a pretty well featured tool, but I still prefer to model in GMax, and convert w/ openzone..
So I downloaded the script listener, to convert my scene to .obj, then convert it from there to .3ds, then open in openzone and convert to .s3d..
here's what i've done..

I just opened gmax made a simple plane, converted to editable poly, and used a .bmp texture from the openzone library , ran the script, copied output to .txt saved as, .obj, converted to .3ds, imported it on openzone.. i get the plane object, but it's got the milky texture?? I figured it's not sized corerctly or something, but .. remember i used a texture from the openzone library (which appears on other objects using that texture..), anywho , i tried to convert to s3d thinking it might just be a display issue w/ openzone, and i get an address error box popping up first thing.
I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do !! but for now i'll just work exclusively w/ open zone.. I do have one question though .. I find placing objects in open zone very tedious .. I have to type everything in manually (which i don't mind) but there's no reference in the program of the coordinates on my ground for example for me to be able to type in where i want objects to go exactly.. is there a way to just drag w/ mouse and place... i see the buttons on the bottom for moving up and down .. side to side, but it's like less than .1 unit !! .. i've looked to see how i can reset this, but not such luck .. thanks for any insight !! I've noticed this place doesn't have many more recent posts :D

Kindest Regards,

saveus
07-17-2005, 12:19 PM
whaoo someome on oz forum he is not dead ;-)

about texture
i supose you dont use 2XN textures :
http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18259

about objet you have to way :

first if your item are ine the mesh library ( window at right )
in top of the windows you have three button , clicks on the second
and in fly-mode crosshair select "create objet"

now you have a crosshair on screen .
select a mesh and make a "ctrl + m"
your mesh go at the cross

second if your objet is not in mesh lib in this case the most easy is to use
the "move objet to current position " in object menu and place it exactly with arrow blue and pink

------
edit
i had forgot one ;-)

you can also for big mesh like tree , if your zone is an outdoor , use the "ground editor" in ground menu

Aydun
07-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Greetings Saveous,

Hey well, I went ahead and tried the N^2 texture resolution. I made another plane object and I was able to get it to display the texture properly.. Thinking I had the problem solved (as this was the onlything I hadn't checked previously) I went ahead and made a new scene in GMAX, just a simple plane with three boxes, all of them used a grass texture that was in the OZ texture library.. They showed up fine in GMAX, I went ahead and ran the listening script and captured everything to object file, translated it to 3ds and then to OZ .. the scene showed up, and placement was fine, but the texture stillw asn't working.. What's weird is that if i make a new mesha nd use the same texture as I did in my imported scene it shows up just fine.. I'llt ry what you suggested however about using a mesh, but until then I cannot wait to hear back from you!

Kindest REgards,

saveus
07-18-2005, 07:33 AM
i send you in pm my email
could you send
the objet and the texture by mail ?