PDA

View Full Version : Cobalt Qube 3 for a EQ server?

Neoburn
08-06-2005, 05:28 AM
I have a chance to get a Cobalt Qube 3 server from our tech department at my campus and was pondering wether or not a 300mhz server will work sufficiently enough to host a eq server? Let me know what ya guys think. I myself have not experimented much with this so my knowledge is lacking in this department.

Below are the specs

COBALT QUBE 3 BUSINESS EDITION SPECIFICATIONS:
External Internet/intranet appliance, 300MHz AMD processor, 256Mb of RAM, 20Gb IDE hard disk, 10/100BaseTX Ethernet port, RJ-45 WAN port, nine-pin serial port, USB port. Web, FTP, email, file-sharing server services, integral firewall, supports CGI, Perl and PHP scripting, SMTP, POP3 and IMAP4 email protocols, NAT, DHCP, LDAP, DNS. Sun Server Web browser management interface.

sdabbs65
08-06-2005, 08:27 AM
I have a chance to get a Cobalt Qube 3 server from our tech department at my campus and was pondering wether or not a 300mhz server will work sufficiently enough to host a eq server? Let me know what ya guys think. I myself have not experimented much with this so my knowledge is lacking in this department.

Below are the specs

External Internet/intranet appliance, 300MHz AMD processor, 256Mb of RAM, 20Gb IDE hard disk, 10/100BaseTX Ethernet port, RJ-45 WAN port, nine-pin serial port, USB port. Web, FTP, email, file-sharing server services, integral firewall, supports CGI, Perl and PHP scripting, SMTP, POP3 and IMAP4 email protocols, NAT, DHCP, LDAP, DNS. Sun Server Web browser management interface.

well I have a 2gig and my cpu useage is thu the roof at times.
Im also looking to buy a new server but im also thinking
about leaseing a remote game server.

Traul
08-06-2005, 05:38 PM
I think you're going to need more RAM.

Neoburn
08-06-2005, 06:26 PM
I did some research on it, and it will take up to 512mb of ram. Still not sure if that will be enough to run a server or not though....

Thoughts?

krusher
08-07-2005, 10:05 AM
Not a chance in hell. Well i should'nt say that. You could run that box as your world/DB server and get another server to handle the zones. The heavy hitter in the emu world are the zone servers. Their the ones that take the load. But for a world/DB server that cobalt might be just fine.

sdabbs65
08-08-2005, 02:13 AM

Below are the specs

300MHz, I think it would be very laggy with process's
if you booted more than 5 zones. esp if there tons of mobs and I know of at least 5 zone you would have to lock out/ or delete npcs to keep from overloading your cpu.