PDA

View Full Version : PERL Organized Nicely

_Kerosh_
08-07-2005, 06:39 AM
Ok, what I am working on is a program in C++ that will have all the PERL commands, events, etc, as well as zone lists and so on that will be organized into menus. You choose a menu, etc.

Here is an example. You enter the program, you choose the PERL Menu, then you choose let's say, PERL commands. There will be PERL Identifiers, Events, and so on. From here, boxes that organize all the commands in groups of 10, 2 columns each, will pop up. You choose the group of commands you want and you will enter that cluster. Then you choose the actual command you want and it will pop up based on Lexicon's PERL Guide. In his guide, it was difficult to find the things you wanted though. It will have the same information his guide has, but that information will be much easier to access. Instead of searching for that information, you simply go through a few menus and you are there. Currently, I am working on the PERL menu, but new menus will be up soon, guides based on the eqemu book 1.3, and so on, race lists, etc. The only problem is I can't load pictures atm as it is all console based for now. At one point, I will set up buttons and such that you click, like running a program, then go into the type of subject you want, such as PERL, World Building, OpenZone, etc. From there, it will have the subjects of those, like PERL. Then you can choose commands, events, etc, guides, and I will put in templates and a search engine to find these templates.

I am not sure if I will ever get out of console based, but I am just starting this up, not sure where it will go. I might just do the PERL part and keep it console based as I really want it so I can organize commands and such when I forget them or forget how to use them. This will just make it much easier for me, so I am not sure. I might keep it console based only on PERL, Zone ID's, etc, everything that will help you out in PERL.

Well, when I finnish the PERL part, I will try and get it up on a site and get it out there in exe form so that beginners can have an easier time with PERL, and people who are very good with it and just forget the commands will have a much easier time with PERL instead of seaching through 72 commands on Lexicon's commands list, each with their own page.

fathernitwit
08-07-2005, 07:16 AM
this is very similar in nature to the many other quest editors out there.. why dont you take a look at some (cofruben's comes to mind) and consider extending them instead of once again, reinventing the wheel.

mwmdragon
08-07-2005, 06:58 PM
You are welcome to rip appart my Quest Lexicon PDF and my Quest Gen tool as well as my Quest Template.. if you are going to create an all inclusive App for quest writers.

One suggestion though.. Make sure you spend some time writing quests by hand so you can better make the app friendly to the people using it. Everything is better when you understant the deep down dirt of what your program is supposed to make easier.

_Kerosh_
08-08-2005, 04:22 AM
Well, I am a very accomplished PERL Programmer on EQEmu, so I don't have any need to practice.

SuedeWorthey
08-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Well, I am a very accomplished PERL Programmer on EQEmu, so I don't have any need to practice.If you need some help, I'm in...

_Kerosh_
08-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Naw, no help needed, just figured I would tell people what I'm up to.

SuedeWorthey
08-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Cool. So, when can I expect a product to be released? Are you going to start off with one that already exists, or start from scratch?

_Kerosh_
08-10-2005, 05:44 AM
Well, I've already started from scratch. Right now it is based in the console, well, the alpha will be console based for now, but when I get to it, I will make it look nicer and get clicking and such going on. For now, the console though.

But, I would expect the beta to be done in 2-3 months because College is going to be starting up in 2 weeks, and i will have very little time to work on this.

Cisyouc
08-12-2005, 07:01 AM
Are quest script IDE's really necessary? I mean come on, its not even real perl half the time, its just a series of if statements and a bunch of commands we threw in. I hardly see any actual usage of perl in quests. Point being -- for such a task, I would think that even notepad or gedit would suffice. If you want a list of commands embedded into EQEmu, check questmgr.h (http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/eqemulator/EQEmuCVS/Source/zone/questmgr.h?rev=1.3.2.3). I would find it more of a hassle to go through a string of menus to select the commands and events I want than to just type it out in a simple text editor.

My point of view, anyhow.

_Kerosh_
08-13-2005, 03:34 AM
This is made to organize the commands, etc. Some people don't know them, and I have been having to deal with these people for the past two weeks. It's easier to go through menus and such. Cisyouc, I don't really need your point of view, k. I am still going to do this because I want it as well, lol.