PDA

View Full Version : speeding up world-zone loads?

wize_one
09-25-2005, 08:08 AM
anyone know how to speed up booting of world and zone.. atm it takes like 5-10 mins per.

Belfedia
09-29-2005, 06:24 PM
I have found a method but it was expensive !

Raid 0+1 sata 4 x 80 gigas drive (with a A64 3500 proc) 2 giga ram and 10 giga virtual ram.

I use a ruby script for start zone with a file contain zone name (78 zones)
I need only 15 secs for put up antonica.

wize_one
09-30-2005, 03:18 AM
hehe upgraded the ram in the machine.. makes a big diffrence.. 256megs vs 1gig.. stuff loads quickly now

RangerDown
09-30-2005, 01:24 PM
Lots of peeps forget, after all the patching to the client they've done over the years... DEFRAG THAT HARD DRIVE! The client files are definitely fragmented if you haven't defragged in years.

Also, check your EQ folder to see if some of the files have been compressed (2000, 2003, and XP only). Disk Cleanup, left to its own settings, will turn compression on for files that haven't been accessed in a long time, and some of your EQ zones and graphic models might have been targetted for compression. This can slow performance down a little when you finally DO go explore that zone you haven't looked at in months.

Windows Explorer shows the file name in blue if the file is compressed. To uncompress a file, bring up its Properties and click the Advanced button, and uncheck the Compress To Save Space option. You can select multiple files and bring up properties once to uncompress them all.

Belfedia
09-30-2005, 01:54 PM
That work fine for windows :) i make it many time :)
But the ram is very important on linux server (no need to defrag) :)