PDA

View Full Version : OpenZone 6.5

Windcatcher
10-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Just one change but it will be important as people start adding custom weapon models:

1. Changed the mesh library list so it is a hierarchical tree instead of a flat list. Mesh library objects can now be categorized into groups, and added "Object...Change mesh library object category" to make categorizing them possible.

The best way to describe it is to paste the text I added to the help file:

-----------------------------------------------

Categorizing mesh library objects

The mesh library list is actually a hierarchical tree, and objects can be organized into categories and sub-categories to make managing them easier. To set an object's category, select the object in the library list and click Object...Change mesh library object category.... A popup will appear asking for the new category.

Categories and sub-categories are created by typing a period-delimited string. For example, to place a model of a chair in category "furniture" and sub-category "chairs", you would enter "furniture.chairs". OpenZone will save the object in the new category and move it to the right place in the tree. You can move objects around from category to category as much as you want and OpenZone will store them properly. If you want an object to sit at the root of the tree (that is, have no category), enter an empty string in the prompt.

Categorizing library objects has no effect at all on how they are saved in scene files. If you change a library object's category after placing copies of it in a scene, they will still appear in the scene. The category only affects how the object is organized in the library list.

-----------------------------------------------

I also categorized a bunch of the mesh library objects. You'll see them at the bottom of the list under expandable branches. I wasn't quite sure how to categorize the rest, and I suspect that different people might want to do it differently, so I left them alone. Your existing mesh library objects are still fully compatible, so don't worry...when you change the category OpenZone will simply add a line to the .msh files.

Speaking of weapon models, just curious: is anyone actually working on this? It would be really cool if we could come up with a set of weapons that could be used by anyone running a server (or even better, a set of replacement .S3D files where everything inside came from the EQEmu community). Except for animated models, OpenZone should be able to handle it at this point.

I'd really like to work on getting custom mob models working (which also includes animated weapon models, by the way), but I need some source material to make it work. Khan an I talked at length about it some months ago, and the first issue we discussed was the need to settle on a good file format for mob models that OpenZone could import. I'd like to see if we can start a discussion on it if people here are interested. I'm a good coder but a 3D artist I'm not so I'm sort of at a loss here.

OpenZone 6.5 is available here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=88515&package_id=128908&release_id=361248

Cheers,

WC

Edit: I fould a glitch in the treeview and had to make a small fix. If you downloaded it within the first hour of being posted, you should go get it again.

Richardo
12-06-2005, 03:58 AM
cant extract the exe, says corrupt

Windcatcher
12-06-2005, 06:01 AM
That's odd..In any case, I'd recommend getting OpenZone 6.6 instead :D

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19562