PDA

View Full Version : OpenZone 6.6 and some other goodies

Windcatcher
10-14-2005, 04:22 PM
There's a lot in here, so please be patient and make sure to read it all. I've been rather busy on this one...

OpenZone 6.6

1. Fixed a bug in the Ground Editor where you couldn't draw on the bottom row and a fake row on the right would show up.

2. In the Ground Editor's Meshes tab, mesh objects now show up properly and the list is now a tree like it is in the main window.

3. Clicking Cancel in popup dialogs now actually cancels the operation.

4. Fixed a bug where copying and pasting an object would cause a crash if you attempt to move it.

5. On the main window, added buttons that rotate objects to the left and to the right, next to the arrow buttons that move objects up and down.

6. Added "Edit...Rotate left" and "Edit...Rotate right" that rotate objects to the left or right by small amounts.

7. Added "Object...Move object to create object crosshair", which does exactly that: moves the selected object to the crosshair that appears in front of you in fly mode. Note that if gravity is on, the object's Z location will be set to the ground's elevation instead.

8. Added "Object...Insert model origin". This places a non-visual object that represents the (0,0,0) origin for an object that you intend to group and export to the mesh library. This makes it possible to properly create weapons entirely in OpenZone.

9. On the Display Properties tab pane, changed the "Show light sources" check box to a drop down with several options: "none", "lights", "points", "lines", "polygons", "lines and polygons". The first two options act as before, and the remaining options cause all light sources in your zone to show as translucent spheres, where the sphere has the same position, radius, and color as the light source.

10. Similar to the light sources drop down, added a drop-down to the Display Properties tab pane that controls visibility of model origins (see feature #8, above). Model origins appear as small blue translucent spheres.

11. Added a few icons to some menu features.

12. Added a scene called "sword_test" to the "scenes" subfolder that comes with OpenZone. It contains three swords and a dagger that were made entirely within OpenZone, using some new textures and scripts (see below). They are ready for use in-game, with the following steps:

- select each weapon and export to the mesh library, using names such as "IT15001", "IT15002", etc.

- create an empty scene, and click "File...Properties" to open the properties dialog.

- select each new item added to the mesh library and click "Add" to designate it as an object to be added to your phantom zone.

- click "File...Export...Export zone objects to .S3D", which only exports any placed objects in a zone to an .S3D file of your choice (since you created an empty zone, only those objects placed in the properties dialog will be added). Enter a valid file name when prompted, omitting the .S3D extension (e.g. "gequip8").

13. Added a new script category, "weapons". For now it only contains two scripts, "sword_blade" and "sword_hilt". Using these, many different kinds of swords can be created, and the hilt script is extremely versatile. See the examples in the "sword_test" scene for hints.

14. Added a new script category, "domes". It contains four types of dome scripts that you can use to make domed buildings. Generally they would be used by creating a pipe object and placing the dome on top.

15. Added a new script category, "polyhedra". It contains a lot of different types of mathematical objects. I used the mathematical names for the scripts so people could type their names in a search engine: there are many sites that give detailed diagrams of these kinds of objects so people can get a good look at them. These objects are mostly useful as rocks, but, for example, the "pentakis dodecahedron" gives excellent spheres with only 60 triangles (and is in fact the shape OpenZone uses to show light sources and model origin markers). They also make good sword pommels if you want them to be spherical.

16. Added some new parameters to the "wall" and "roof" scripts to allow greater flexibility in mapping textures to them. The wall script now lets you put different textures on the outside, inside, and sides of walls, and the roof script has different "fulltexture" settings for the front-back and left-right pairs. This is useful if you want to precisely use a roof tile script on the top, for instance, while letting OpenZone use its internal algorithm to texture map the wall parts.

17. In the mesh library, under "structures", added three small huts for use by merchants. If you walk through the Canyons of Gur you might find the originals, which you can alter to make more...

OpenZone 6.6 is available here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=88515&package_id=128908&release_id=363606

Updated Sample Zones

I've re-released my five zones with a bunch of new textures and some added objects to make them look a lot nicer and make them more usable (see below for the textures). Also, The Namtarn has a zone point at the north that will let you zone to Veldona. For those who are interested, the zone_points data is as follows:

source # y x z heading target y x z heading
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
windszone 1 -2161.62 5053.1 55.098 0 peshara 7774 -1564.1 81.9 999
peshara 1 7784.2 -1564.1 8.19 0 windszone -2151 5053.1 55.098 999
peshara 2 4393.12 2776.17 23.312 0 gurcanyons -7143.58 -1655 -237.294 999
gurcanyons 1 -7143.58 -1665.28 -237.294 0 peshara 4393.12 2766 23.312 999
gurcanyons 2 -5486 1670 162 0 veldona 5768 -7620 63 999
veldona 1 5768 -7630 63 0 gurcanyons -5486 1634 163 999
veldona 2 3472 -5952 26.2 0 thenamtarn 2290 96 371 999
thenamtarn 1 2304 96 369 0 veldona 3485 -5952 28 999

There were some problems in the zone point info I posted last time around but these appear reliable to me. Of the zones, windszone has changed the most. Nothing has been moved or removed in any zones, but some things have been added. Also note that Peshara Highlands now properly exports as "peshara", not "zone1".

The updated zones are available here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=88515&package_id=128908&release_id=333409

Updated Sample Textures

The existing .ZIP files are the same as before, but there is a new one, texpack4.zip. If you have an earlier version of the sample textures, then you only need to get this new one.

The new textures (required for the updated zones and the new sword_test.scn) are available here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=88515&package_id=128908&release_id=276191

Cheers,

WC

mattmeck
10-14-2005, 06:44 PM
nice!! great work, I always love seeing new stuff from you, IMO this is one big part of this community still being alive.

Windcatcher
10-14-2005, 07:36 PM
I should probably have added a #17 as well. Under "structures" there are a few new objects added to the mesh library. Nothing special, though, just a few huts :) Edited the original post to add that little bit...

Kadover
10-15-2005, 03:58 PM
~Nvm, problem solved~

Scorpious2k
01-28-2006, 05:41 AM
I don't know if it's just me or if no one else is doing anything with it.

I tried the new windcatcher zones in 6.6 and found that it crashes loading veldona. Further investigation shows that it has a problem with the floor script. As I dug into it more, I can tell that there have been changes to the floor and wall scripts that aren't in this version. For example, in floor you can specify a hole location (handy for stairs) and in wall you can have multiple doors and windows. These options aren't in the distributed version of 6.6

Belfedia
01-28-2006, 05:48 AM
You're right scorpious,
You don't have many 3D artist :( :( :(