PDA

View Full Version : Sony Busted?

Sakrateri
11-09-2005, 09:43 AM
This a part of a recent letter from Sony about hackers and exploiters in EQlive

Hacks and Exploits

As any developer will tell you, we get into this industry because we enjoy games and we enjoy making them. That is why I dislike even having to mention hacks and exploits, but it is a reality that needs to be addressed.

As many of you know, we've spent a significant amount of time on our reporting systems to detect various hacks and exploits. The end result will provide a really positive impact. For example, without the reporting tools, we took action on over 1,000 accounts during the month of October. Although that number may seem high, the numbers generated by our reporting tools are considerably higher. These tools are currently limited to generating reports, but we are rapidly approaching a time where these will be used in a more robust manner. I won't go into detail, but I'd like to encourage anyone playing outside the natural boundaries of EverQuest to get back in those boundaries. Whatever advancement these exploits provide to individuals is not worth the damage that it does to the EverQuest community. Consider this fair warning.

And is this I wonder thier little plan to catch people ?

http://news.com.com/2061-11199_3-5925817.html

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html

Makes ya wonder .

Windcatcher
11-09-2005, 09:48 AM
I seriously doubt it. Installing a rootkit without the user's knowledge or consent is a serious federal crime. Frankly I'm stunned that the DOJ hasn't announced an investigation, unless they've decided to warn Sony first to remove it to avoid prosecution. If I was a prosecutor, I would be breathing down their necks. That's not to say that SOE couldn't use this rootkit to their advantage, but the company is already wide open to prosecution and lawsuits galore over this. I think this is just a case of an executive making an incredibly bad decision without checking with legal first.

stefann
11-09-2005, 10:24 AM
I agree with Sony on checking for hacks, I play GunBound and Rakion and I get a big ol' NProtect GameGuard splash screen when starting the game and I don't care, screw the hackers. BUT, should Sony abuse their new toy to scan for say, packet collectors, or even what your downloading in the background, it would be a direct violation of my privacy and I'd kick their asses, if I suddenly 'get my account banned' because I'm running a packet collector to help build EQEMU(the software) and PEQ's database, along with the rest of us playing live and EQEMU, I'd bet Sony would be looking at a class action lawsuit, and than when they bring the leaglity of EQEMU out, we'll shove it in their ear, as far as I know and care, EQEMU is in accordance with fair use.

cavedude
11-09-2005, 02:49 PM
The probably just "borrowed" Bliazzard's Warden softare which sends them a list of processes that are running on your machine, as well as information on any open windows, includng email and IM addresses. Not much better than a rootkit, as it's a MAJOR invasion of privacy (which is why I don't and won't ever play WoW) If I, for example am running a program called hotsexforcavedude.exe and am talking to cavedudesloveslave on AIM, I don't want them knowing that. Though ironically enough, Warden has been bypassed using Sony's rootkit.

http://games.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=71153

stefann
11-09-2005, 03:03 PM
ECK!!!! EVERYONE GRAB YOUR SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES, THERES GONNA BE A BLOODBATH!!!! :wink:

Windcatcher
11-10-2005, 10:22 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/10/sony_sued_for_rootkit/

Well, that didn't take long...

stefann
11-10-2005, 11:35 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/10/sony_sued_for_rootkit/

Well, that didn't take long...
But if they start scanning our processes and junk through a 'anti-cheat' system, will they get sued, pretty much us and a few normal live players will be the only ones who will give a shit, I really think Sony is trying to destroy EQEMU with this, but hey, not only could we kick their ass for invasion of privacy, we could totally kick them in the ass with some fair use bullshit too.

Sakrateri
11-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Damn this seems to be one big circle of who can screw who the best , LMAO

Oh , and if they do get sued will it be reflected in the monthly price of eqlive?

mrea
11-10-2005, 02:48 PM
As far as I know, those rootkits under discussion are only on Sony/BMG music cds. Those articles have nothing to do with Everquest.

Again, the rootkits are installed to protect the cds content. While it is very possible for them to do it with EQ, that's not what is happening, nor will it soon (I think so at least)

stefann
11-10-2005, 06:03 PM
As far as I know, those rootkits under discussion are only on Sony/BMG music cds. Those articles have nothing to do with Everquest.

Again, the rootkits are installed to protect the cds content. While it is very possible for them to do it with EQ, that's not what is happening, nor will it soon (I think so at least)
We are aware of this, but Sony could still be scanning our process list and open windows, etc... under the EQGame.exe proccess.

11-10-2005, 06:12 PM
I encourage those in California and New York to take part, Sony seems to think they could get away with this, they have not released any press information about why this program came to be and what its doing on their CDs, so they are obviously not denying that this was done on purpose. Its low of the company and they have no right to get away with it.

stefann
11-10-2005, 06:21 PM
I encourage those in California and New York to take part, Sony seems to think they could get away with this, they have not released any press information about why this program came to be and what its doing on their CDs, so they are obviously not denying that this was done on purpose. Its low of the company and they have no right to get away with it.
The program came from First 4 Internet.

Sakrateri
01-03-2006, 07:36 AM
Sony must really believe that they have got control of the american bull. But the must have forgot about our horns .

http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-sony30dec30,1,5559024.story?coll=la-headlines-technology

sdabbs65
01-04-2006, 01:33 AM
Sony must really believe that they have got control of the american bull. But the must have forgot about our horns .

http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-sony30dec30,1,5559024.story?coll=la-headlines-technology

They should recall the CD

mikenune
01-05-2006, 05:03 PM
The probably just "borrowed" Bliazzard's Warden softare which sends them a list of processes that are running on your machine, as well as information on any open windows, includng email and IM addresses. Not much better than a rootkit, as it's a MAJOR invasion of privacy (which is why I don't and won't ever play WoW) If I, for example am running a program called hotsexforcavedude.exe and am talking to cavedudesloveslave on AIM, I don't want them knowing that. Though ironically enough, Warden has been bypassed using Sony's rootkit.

http://games.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=71153They don't need to "borrow" anybody's software for that. Just grab the ps open-source utility and build it into the game's core executable.

RangerDown
01-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Some tips when you are running potentially untrustworthy software (and, unfortunately, it looks like even software you're buying from well-established companies is falling more and more into the "untrusted" category, at least by my definition):

1) Turn off autoplay for your CD drives. Doing that was never very secure to begin with.

2) For games like EQ and WoW, if you suspect that they will scan your processes and/or hard drive contents, run them under a user ID that doesn't have admin privileges. For convenience, you can even shift-right-click their start menu entry and use the handy-dandy "run as:" feature to cause that one program to run as a separate userid without having to log everything off. The game, not having admin privileges, will be unable to detect processes in your memory (other that those that run as the same userid). If you're concerned about hard-drive spying, you can setup permissions so that some areas of your HD are also off-limits to it.

gottasummer
01-08-2006, 11:21 PM
It is not good what they are doing, but if you think about how they feel, they must feel like they can loose money from people copying the CD's, if they do not do something about it themselves.

One thing that will probably end up happening if they do try this with EQ:

They ban someones account for running a packet collector or something...

That person sues, saying that they have the right to run what ever program they want in the background.

If you are just trying to log packets... you can always use a crossover cable and another computer...