PDA

View Full Version : Shadowbane

DarkTravesty
03-30-2006, 10:45 AM
There is currently a Shadowbane Emulator project in the works, with the recent news that leads many to conclude that the servers are closing very soon here. They need programmers and people with the skills and knowledge required to do this kind of thing. So, if any of you are willing to help at least a little, that would be great, this is something I'd love to see happen!

http://www.shadowbaneemulator.com/

sdabbs65
03-31-2006, 12:42 AM
There is currently a Shadowbane Emulator project in the works, with the recent news that leads many to conclude that the servers are closing very soon here. They need programmers and people with the skills and knowledge required to do this kind of thing. So, if any of you are willing to help at least a little, that would be great, this is something I'd love to see happen!

http://www.shadowbaneemulator.com/

What a f-ing mess that game was... im surprised anyone could make sense of it even if they had the source.

TheClaus
03-31-2006, 05:07 AM
What an aweful game. No wonder they are allowing people in for free. While I will commend anyone to reverse engineer the server of any MMO I find myself asking what is it that those people liked in Shadowbane.

Damilis
04-10-2006, 11:53 AM
What an aweful game. No wonder they are allowing people in for free. While I will commend anyone to reverse engineer the server of any MMO I find myself asking what is it that those people liked in Shadowbane.

As an avid player of both EQ and SB, I can say that each has their own attraction. SB offer(ed) an insanely diverse character creation system, the ability to PvP, GvG and NvN all the while building your own city and raising an army to defend it.

For SB, it was a wonderful idea for a game and was nearly implemented correctly, but UBI bought up the dev company, started making exec decisions and F-ed the games future. Horrid decisions like choosing a Flat File system for saving data because UBI didn't want to shell out the $$$ for an SQL server, or using a series 3000 SGI running Irix versus a cheaper, faster cluster. The list goes on and on, but UBI killed the game and maimed the idea.

Its not surprising to find others having the same reaction that I did when I took my leave of EQ and took up SB: SB is not a game for pansies. Busting your ass for several hours in EQ yields certain results, but take that same game time in SB and add the fact that anyone of any level can waltz by, kill your character and take ALL you stuff at any given time of day... its a hard pill to swallow and people get very...VERY angry in game.

Just my $0.02 though.