PDA

View Full Version : sony opening classic server?

bobby15
04-07-2006, 10:33 AM
http://mobhunter.com/001473.html

I'm gonna try it see how it is.

"New Expansion Details, New "Progression" server opening.

Wow, do I have some interesting news. I droned on a lot this morning so I'll cut into some of the more interesting stuff right away.

There will soon be a "not a classic server" server. This server will begin with only the original game unlocked at first. As groups or guilds defeat certain triggered encounters, new expansions will become unlocked. It will be a no-transfer server so everyone is starting off at the beginning of the game. All the new non-expansion features will be there like chat channels, LFG, and new UIs, but features such as Plane of Knowledge won't be active until that expansion is unlocked. All of those who have screamed on the forums for months about a "classic server" will now get their chance to put their money where their mouth is. It sounds pretty interesting and SOE is expecting it to be popular. With some core features removed that we take for granted these days like the Guild Lobby, Nexus, Knowledge, Bazaar, and LDON Magi, it will be interesting to see how much old-world people are willing to take.

Second, SOE threw out some hints at the next expansion. The expansion will be a full level-range expansion from level 1 to 70. They intend to build a new focused set of content for players of all levels and plan to sell the expansion as a stand-alone game as well as an expansion for us old-time players. There is no word on a price, but I expect it to remain at $30. There will be content of all types including solo content, small group content, six-person group content, instances, quests, and other things that we expect at the high-end. There will not likely be low level raids since balancing such things and making them worth the effort is hard when gaining five levels will reap much better benefits. There will be overarching quest lines that will go through a series of levels and even at least one that will go all the way from level 1 to 70. The intent is to make content at those levels that is fun enough that people aren't worried as much about leveling and gearing up to 70 as fast as they can (although I expect we will either see a level increase or a large jump in AAs - likely both)."

Ghost Fire
04-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Now thats a GREAT IDEA! (They should have done this 2 years ago :P )

fanman55
04-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Some things I liked about the old EverQuest was the old patcher, music, graphics, character models, spell effects, content, the original U.I., and perhaps the semi-buggy atmosphere. If SOE does decide to make this "classic server" thing, I hope (but doubt) that it would encompass all of these aspects. It would be a great opportunity to rediscover old content. I know I'm going to use it to try and create a better "classic" server. Grr, unfortunately, I'm too slow at learning C++ to do anything "real" with this valuable fountain of information. Luckily, there are those in this wonderful community who will put this treasure to great use =).