PDA

View Full Version : OpenZone 6.8

Windcatcher
05-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Before I start with what's new, I want to point out that you'll need to re-download texture pack 4. I've added some new textures and the new stuff requires some of them. You can get texture pack 4 here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=88515&package_id=128908&release_id=276191

It's gotten pretty large and I'll start a texture pack 5 next time.

Here's the changelog for OpenZone 6.8, and I'll explain what this all means below.

1. When adding mesh library objects in the zone properties window, the user will be prompted for the export name, which can now differ from the name of the object in the library.

2. For objects that have been added in the zone properties window, scene files will remember both the library name and the export name of each object.

3. Added some weapons to the mesh library under category "weapons". These objects require the newest version of texture pack #4.

4. Added some new weapons to sword_test.scn.

The gist of it is this: prior to 6.8, if you wanted to make weapon models, you *had* to put them in your mesh library with the names that the client needed to see, for example, IT15000, IT15001, IT15002, etc. With 6.8, you can put them in your library with any name you want, and when you use the File...Properties window to add weapon models to your zone you have the opportunity to use a different export name. For each object you add you'll be prompted for the export name, where the prompt will be filled in with the name from your mesh library. Export names should be of the form IT####, where #### is some number (like the IT15000... examples I outlined above). The *actual* export names are really IT####_DMSPRITEDEF, IT####_ACTORDEF, etc., but OpenZone will add those parts for you.

When you save your scene from within OpenZone it will remember both the mesh library name and the export name for any objects you add so you only need to worry about the export names once. If you're building equipment fies (e.g. gequip8) I definitely recommend building your own (for example) gequip8.scn file with all of your objects in it.

Now that library names are decoupled from export names, I've taken the liberty of making a few more weapon models and adding them to the mesh library. They're under the category "weapons" and work in-game. I've also added them to the file "sword_test.scn" so you can see how they were built and make more if you wish (one weapon is actually a mace).

OpenZone 6.8 is available here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=88515&package_id=128908&release_id=415367

If you've been in IRC lately, you might know that I've started a new spell editor. It will probably be a few weeks before it's ready for prime time, but I already have something that's usable. The major difference between my spell editor and any that already exist is that mine will be 100% dynamic, down to the GUI. It will use an XML file that supports multiple spell file versions, such that you can choose a version and work accordingly. New versions can be created simply by adding to the XML file. Just something on the horizon...

Bit by bit I'm also working on trying to finish the Veldona zone. I don't know quite when I'll get it finished, but there will be an update in the future. I'm taking care to only add things and not move anything that already exists, but there may be some texture changes as I make better ones. As always, any new textures will be made available in one of the texture packs.

I'm really curious to see if anyone has done anything with OpenZone 6.7, especially if anyone has tried working with creatures. We've always been talking about divorcing ourselves from SOE (or at least having that option) and we're now at the point where it's technically possible. To that end, I'd like to put out a call for some of the other content that we might need, in case anyone is inclined: one thing that I'm not very good at is making images, and if someone could submit a small set of some basic spell and/or item icons to the community it would really be useful towards getting us there. Any icons you make must each be 44x44 pixels in size, and preferably be tiled in .BMP files that are each 256x256 pixels.

Richardo
05-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Good Work WC!!!

Belfedia
05-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Yes, always good work ;)