PDA

View Full Version : Login from work

njlinus
05-22-2006, 05:54 AM
Hey everyone Im new to the boards and minilogin. I dont know any programming or anything i just followed the guides and got set up this weekend.
the question i have is, Is it possible for me to set up my server on my home network. then be able to login from work or have friends or family members login from out of state.
Now im not advanced in setting this up i just read alot of posts and copy paste till i get it right. i am starting to get the hang of it but at a slow pace. so if this is gonna be a pain in the butt then just say no its a pain.
I am still having trouble getting a 2nd computer to login to the server but i figure i would focus on that tonight and see what happens.
thanks in advance for any help

rojadruid
05-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Hey everyone Im new to the boards and minilogin. I dont know any programming or anything i just followed the guides and got set up this weekend.
the question i have is, Is it possible for me to set up my server on my home network. then be able to login from work or have friends or family members login from out of state.
Now im not advanced in setting this up i just read alot of posts and copy paste till i get it right. i am starting to get the hang of it but at a slow pace. so if this is gonna be a pain in the butt then just say no its a pain.
I am still having trouble getting a 2nd computer to login to the server but i figure i would focus on that tonight and see what happens.
thanks in advance for any help

By using the public login server you can achieve this.

Reak the wiki on how.

BFC
05-22-2006, 09:20 AM
It's also possible to get this to work with mini login, but can be a bit of effort on the server admin's part (you).

You will have to keep all the IP's of all your clients correct in the data base. That is, if your client IP changes (and 99.9% of everyone on residentual internet service will have a IP that changes, called a dynamic IP) you will have to update the data base with the new IP before the client can log in.

This isn't as bad as it may sound, but will require you to keep up with it. If you have a few friends (say 3-5) it's not bad. It would take you just a couple minutes as most to update all of the IP's (not likely that all of them would change every day either).

Here's what I currently do for my players.

I have them get a domain name from www.no-ip.com.

I have them run the no-ip.com dynamic update client on their computers all the time. This keeps their domain name current with whatever IP address they have.

When I am near my server every day I will ping all of my clients domain names to see if their IP address has changed.

example:

I am near the server and want to update client IP info.

I open a command prompt and ping each client by typing: ping playername.no-ip.info

This returns an IP address that I use to check against what is in the data base.

Now, playername can be whatever your client chooses to use at no-ip.com. It's completely up to them. It could be dumbass.no-ip.info or whatever they want.

Also, playername.no-ip.INFO can be be playername.no-ip.ORG or a large list of other things for the last part depending on what your clients choose to use at no-ip.com.

Basically, you just ping their domain name and check their IP for them. They don't have to contact you and you don't have to contact them. It's all done on your end.

I am working on getting an application made that will do all of this automatically for me as it may sound lengthy and complicated when reality it isn't.

What I haven't figured out how to beat yet is multiple clients connecting from behind the same router. They all show up as using the same IP address.

-BFC

njlinus
05-22-2006, 09:45 AM
hey guys thanks for the replys, i will look into the wiki to see how to set up the public login server.
I will also look into the No-ip.com way, Gonna have a family member look into this he is more computer savy then i am. I will keep you updated on if i get it working.

Belfedia
05-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Ref:BFC

Have you test this ?
I don't know if minilogin provide internet access ?

BFC
05-23-2006, 11:19 AM
I've been using mini-login for internet clients for a couple weeks now.

Works 100% no problems for me.

-BFC