PDA

View Full Version : Pathing Problems

InsaneWallaby
06-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Two items come up with this. They might've been noticed before, and I'm not sure if it is development, databases, or whatnot. It's been four some odd years since I've played this, so I might be mistaken on a few things, but I doubt it. I have no problem with pathing being different than the game, that is not the issue.

First, running creatures outdoors tend to run the most direct route possible, even if that means walking through hills, walls, floors, and so on. They did that occasionally in normal EQ, if I remember right...well, in regards to walls...but I'm seeing goblins go plowing through shallow hills and such that are fully connected to the primary walking surface. This creates a problem when fear kiting or pulling uphill, and a lot of creatures tend to end up underground before I kill them. Walking down a hill usually seems fine for the creature...its walking up that is the problem. Verify in a place such as frontier mountains by trying to drag a creature from the valley to a hillside.

Second, narrow dungeons full of hallways usually have creatures moving from rally point to rally point, but that creates a problem, as the creatures decide to go running through walls, floors, and ceilings at times. Try hanging out in the lake of ill omen goblin caves. You'll be sitting there, and before you know it, a goblin will pop outta the wall on you and beat the crap outta your guy. And right before you kill him, he runs straight for the wall again and disappears. Hrmmm...

Other than that and a few other minor flaws I've already read about, I really haven't noticed any problems, however, except in regards to database completions. This has come a long way from the version 3.4 that I remember.

fathernitwit
06-21-2006, 12:12 PM
once a mob has aggro, they do not care much about line of site or anything, they just run... this is due to the fact that we do not have fear pathing done, so theres no way to find any sort of path between two points besides a straight line.... even with fear pathing working, we might not be able to do proper pursuit code. Finding paths in 3space with our avaliable data is just plain hard.

the basic answer is this will prolly never work like live, ever, and it will likely stay closer to what it is now than like live.

maverick3n1
09-23-2006, 08:08 AM
Hmm... Anyone workin for SoE wanna do a server dump onto a portable drive for us, pretty please? =P

John Adams
09-23-2006, 10:03 AM
IW, might this have anything to do with those Map files? I am not fully understanding their purpose, but I though it had something to do with terrain.