PDA

View Full Version : Summoning Corpses

sady
07-13-2006, 10:53 AM
I have a 70 necro on the eternal wrath server and my summon corpse and conjure corpse works fine if I have the proper reagents.
The problem is it only works on me, if i cast it on some one else i get the CORPSE_CANT_SENSE message.
I have searched the code like mad and I guess CastToClient() returns a pointer to the target or is that a pointer to the caster?
What does CastToClient() do besides confuse me?
if it is a client it returns from entity.cpp:
return static_cast<Client*>(this);

<code from spell_effects.cpp>

#ifdef SPELL_EFFECT_SPAM
snprintf(effect_desc, _EDLEN, "Summon Corpse: %d", effect_value);
#endif
if(IsClient()) // can only summon corpses of clients
{
Corpse *corpse = entity_list.GetCorpseByOwner(CastToClient());
if(corpse)
{
if(caster)
caster->Message_StringID(4, SUMMONING_CORPSE_OTHER, GetCleanName());
corpse->Summon(CastToClient(), true);
}
else // corpse not found
{
if(caster)
caster->Message_StringID(4, CORPSE_CANT_SENSE);
}
}
break;
}
</code>

I would like to code stuff but I just need a little direction, once I get fiber I will take off with it I think.
Am I posting in the right place?

sady
07-13-2006, 02:43 PM
it added a second post.

sady
07-14-2006, 09:08 AM
If I target someone besides my self and cast the conjure corpse or summon corpse, it summons my corpse, not my targets, so CastToClient() is returning a pointer to my self. Now, if I can just figure out how to pass a pointer to my target or change the function it will work corectly.
I guess I will have to install Visual Studio 6 so I can do testing and compiles. I will keep working at it.

I am going to look through the forums maybe I can compile with make on fedora and run it in windows?
I guess the redhat computer could be the server, but I saw stuff about wine in the make file and wine is hard on memory. I am rambling, well.

Thank you.

fathernitwit
07-16-2006, 04:18 PM
split thread.

building on linux has nothing to do with wine, and is generally easier than windows.

That method is operating on whatever the target of the spell is, so the code that is there should be fine. Looking at the spells, I do not see any of them which are not "self target only", please post a lucy link if you think otherwise.

this would mean you need to use quest::selfcast if you want the shell to work from a quest.

sady
07-17-2006, 09:52 AM
No, it is not a quests, I am casting the spell as a necromancer, summon corpse and conjure corpse. It works fine on my self but if I target some one else, it will summon my corpse, if I have one in the zone. If I don

sady
07-17-2006, 12:12 PM
conjure corpse and summon corpse act like a self only spell when they should summon my targets corpse.

Thank You,
Tracy

Aramid
08-04-2006, 07:57 PM
Might be a silly question here, but were you GROUPED with the other person? If I remember correctly, you had to be grouped with the Necro summoning the corpses for it to work.

sady
11-17-2006, 05:00 AM
Yes I was grouped.
I know necromancers can summon group members corpses on live.
I fell in the hole, you the zone the hole, any way my corpse would have been lost a guild member told me to get a coffin and he had a necromancer summon my corpse and then a the cleric resurrected me.

Here is a post on the everquest forums talking about necromancers summoning group members corpses: http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/board/message?board.id=TNZ&message.id=261802

I would prove this by using my necro that I have on the live server but I am only level 29 and I don

paaco
11-17-2006, 06:23 AM
Kind of resurrecting an old post Sady ;p I can confirm though that Necros can summon others corpses, but only people they are grouped with. My main on EQ was a 70 Necro in a raid guild. We used to have to summon a shitload back in the day :( Necros don't do a lot of summoning on live anymore with the guild hall and everything where you can summon your own corpse now.

sady
06-26-2007, 03:01 AM
I am glad you posted that because I knew necros could summon others corpses. I knew I was not crazy and the spell says as well as the O great One; lucy in the spell description; summons your targets corpse.

maybe some day lucy will get right, I searched every EQ live update and I saw no change of any summon corpses for necromancer.

Thank you again.

Zengez
06-26-2007, 06:06 AM
I also played a necromancer on live, and yes they can summon corpses, and yes they don't do it much anymore after the guild hall due to the fact that guild halls can just summon the corpse for you so there was never really any point after that...

That being said if I remember correctly I think the problem with the summoning of only your own corpse and not others was an issue embedded with the need to do self cast instead of target cast and the difficulties of summoning a targets corpse instead of your own from that... at least thats what I think I read somewhere oh so long ago heh... Anyways I'm sure someone could find a work-around (like making an npc in guild hall to do it for you, if you could get a spell to summon a corpse across zones) and eventually someone will fix it, but probably not too high on the priority list /shrug.

PS This thread is also pretty ancient so I don't know if it really is all that popular of a topic as nobody had posted for something like six months heh