PDA

View Full Version : OpenSpell 1.0

Windcatcher
07-21-2006, 03:35 PM
A few months ago I decided that there was a need for a spell editor and I decided to take a whack at it. What I've released here is the initial version of OpenSpell. It works differently from other spell editors, and hopefully will turn into something really useful.

The main thing that sets OpenSpell apart is that it's 100% dynamic. It comes with an XML file the not only defines the spell file formats that it can understand, but also the GUI layout for editing them. As spell file formats evolve OpenSpell can evolve with them without having to be recompiled every time.

This is only the initial version and it's not really complete yet. It displays spell information just fine, but not everything is editable. You can't change icons, spell effects, focus items, etc., but basic spell stats are editable (with the exception that if you go to the Advanced tab you can edit absolutely everything, but it isn't at all convenient). This program is a really low prioity at this time, but it works so I see no sense in sitting on it. I would recommend, though, that anyone using it back their spell files up first just in case.

New formats can be added to the XML file and all you'll have to do is restart OpenSpell to use them, but don't expect me to do the adding. I have *NO* intention of keeping up with client versions, as I have too much on my plate as it is. Nonetheless, when time permits I'll be quietly improving this program until all the necessary features are at least in there.

OpenSpell 1.0 is available here:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/eqemulator/OpenSpell_1.0.zip?download

P.S. The program icon might look a lot like an EQ spell icon, which is by design, but I actually made it in CorelDraw (lest anyone decide to nitpick).

mattmeck
07-21-2006, 04:02 PM
More great work, thanks Wond

GeorgeS
07-22-2006, 06:19 AM
Wind - This is similar to Mongrel's (Henning Thole) editor - but with extensibility a very good feature I like.

Are you planning on making this titanium compatibile?

GeorgeS

Windcatcher
07-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Me, no. I don't have time. OpenZone 7.2 is calling me :) But it is capable of handling it. All people need to do is add a Titanium (EQEmu 0.7.0) section to the XML file.

Windcatcher
07-22-2006, 12:21 PM
OpenZone 7.2 can automatically generate things like these when you export:

DELETE * FROM doors WHERE zone = "lelembeth";
INSERT INTO doors (doorid, zone, name, pos_y, pos_x, pos_z, heading, opentype, dest_zone) VALUES (1, "lelembeth", "ELF_DOOR_1", 1443.684, 391.200, 208.000, 463.644, 0, "NONE";)
INSERT INTO doors (doorid, zone, name, pos_y, pos_x, pos_z, heading, opentype, dest_zone) VALUES (2, "lelembeth", "ELF_DOOR_2", 1552.844, 748.074, 208.000, 335.644, 0, "NONE";)
INSERT INTO doors (doorid, zone, name, pos_y, pos_x, pos_z, heading, opentype, dest_zone) VALUES (3, "lelembeth", "ELF_DOOR_3", 1562.783, 741.342, 208.000, 335.644, 0, "NONE";)

This is why 7.2 is such a high priority for me ;)

swish
07-22-2006, 02:59 PM
It looks awesome AND working aswell =P !

Awesome job! I love this editor! =D

Keep on the good work.

Swish.

EmanonCow
08-16-2006, 01:26 AM
Is there a way I can send you an updated XML config file? I have one that I've extended for more modern spells_en.txt file formats (new columns, new effect types, etc).

Oh, and how hard is it to change the hard-coded 10,000 spell limit? (if you open a spell file with 10,000+ spells, the program chokes and refuses to read it).

jeffpuff
09-07-2006, 09:50 AM
I for one would love to get my hands on your updated XML config file. Are you able to post is somewhere or do you need someone to host if for you? The update you did does it now support 7.0 titanium?

One question I have is are resist checks somewhere in the spell.txt file or hard coded? The reason I ask is I am having a heck of a time working with the Fear line of spells. It seems they are almost irresistable (as posted here (http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21128&highlight=fear)) and you are forced to just stand there and take a beating while it lasts its entire duration. Is this something I can edit somewhere in the spell file?

Also has anyone looked at the effect of slow spells and is that something I can edit with this as well? This (http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21176&highlight=fear) tread shows issues with slow, not to mention the resist rate seems very high.

Would having updated spell_en.txt files help me? Are some servers running these files patched up to live? Any help much appreciated.

Jeff

EmanonCow
09-08-2006, 07:49 AM
No. The spells_us.txt only lists resist type and resist modifier for each spell.

If two spells (say, fear and nuke) act differently, it is because of server code, not spells_us.txt code.

Google base OpenSpell.xml
http://base.google.com/base/a/1372174/D13790332136448425106

jeffpuff
09-08-2006, 11:10 AM
So if I edit this file and the resist modifier is in there, then for fear I did resist check -1000 and for slow try resist check +250, would that make fear extremely hard to land and ease some of the resists on slow as I am trying to do?

Thank you for posting your updated file, I'm at work right now but will grab it as soon as I get home, is that supported up to 7.0?

Jeff

EmanonCow
09-09-2006, 04:41 AM
So if I edit this file and the resist modifier is in there, then for fear I did resist check -1000 and for slow try resist check +250, would that make fear extremely hard to land and ease some of the resists on slow as I am trying to do?

-1000 is hard to resist (basically impossible). +250 is easy to resist (basically automatic).

Thank you for posting your updated file, I'm at work right now but will grab it as soon as I get home, is that supported up to 7.0?

Jeff

That is just an attempt to reflect more-recent & live spell data descriptions in the spells_us.txt.