PDA

View Full Version : Parchment & Rune Turn in for PoK - ReWrite

Aramid
08-19-2006, 11:31 AM
I think I have it now. I tested this quite a bit with 2 characters on a local lan. I had to shorten the ''Hail' text, so I just made up my own line.
I was getting wierd problems. I would turn in an item that I wasn't supposed to and got something totally different handed back to me. That turned out to be a bad plugin, the check_handin.pl file. I got mine from PEQ's Luclin Quest Pack. If your using that one, get it replaced. I included the one that is working for me, which came from the PEQ's Velious Quest Pack, in my zip file.

As before, you get the spells by a random choice. This is the way it is on live.

If you have the PoK NPC's installed, all you need to do is add these to your quests/poknowledge folder and either restart your server or issue a #reloadpl command while logged in.

Here's the updated file....

www.jtconsultants.com/emu/PoKQuests.zip

fathernitwit
08-20-2006, 04:19 AM
if you havent given up on this yet, it really is a lot more desireable to have exact quest text in our quests. I would recommend trying to split up the text, and rearranging it a little to avoid the duplication (as below), also, alla has accurate hail text for most of the NPCs here:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/qgen/PlaneofKnowledge.html
as most of them have unique text... good quest text really makes for a more emmersive play experience, but functionality is just as important.

sub EVENT_SAY
{
if($text=~/Hail/i)
{
quest::say("Hail and well met, my friend. New Tanaan greets you most warmly and is grateful to have you in our midst. ");
quest::say("All residents of this great Plane of Knowledge have come together in recent times with the unexpected, though warmly embraced presence of Norrathian visitors. We hope that we might be able to aid you in lending our wisdom and timeless knowledge wherever possible to your cause.");
quest::say("I wish I could do more, my friend, but I am but a humble bard and my services may only benefit those of like profession. However, if you believe that my services could be of use, then do not hesitate to peruse my inventory and purchase what you will. ");
quest::say("If by chance you come across a curious parchment or other arcane item of seemingly unidentifiable purpose, then do not hesitate to bring it to me. Besides having composed many a song in my day, I do know a thing or two regarding mysteries of the planes' magics.");
}
}

sub EVENT_ITEM
{
# Level 61 and 62 Spells
if (plugin::check_handin(\%itemcount, 29112 => 1))
{
quest::summonitem(quest::ChooseRandom(28471,28473, 28476,28474,28475,28484,21636,16391,77853));
}
# Level 63 and 64 Spells
elsif (plugin::check_handin(\%itemcount, 29131 => 1))
{
quest::summonitem(quest::ChooseRandom(28478,28479, 28480,28481,28482,28483,28472,21650));
}
# Level 65 Spells
elsif (plugin::check_handin(\%itemcount, 29132 => 1))
{
quest::summonitem(quest::ChooseRandom(28477,28485, 28486));
}
else
{
plugin::return_items(\%itemcount);
quest::say("Here $name, Take this back, I have no use of this object!");
return;
}
quest::emote("Minstrel Eoweril carefully takes the planar arcane item from you. With a careful eye, he inspects every portion of the incorporeal item before nodding to himself in satisfaction. The Bard then closes his eyes and chants lowly in an unfamiliar language. ");
quest::emote("You feel the coalescing of spirits around you in the area as the Bard calls them forth to bless the arcane item in his grip. Dark runes of a rusted color begin to carve themselves onto a parchment that grows more real and tangible with each syllable uttered by the Bard. ");
quest::emote("Eventually, his chant comes to a close and the completed item is handed to you without expectation of further aid on your behalf, 'Do not use this power without caution, $name. It is quite powerful indeed for it is power forged upon the planar worlds but may affect both astral and prime alike.");
}

Aramid
08-20-2006, 07:46 AM
I can understand that and if it works by making them into 3 or 4 lines, I'll do it. It will have the NPC's name at the beginning of each line tho and 6 of the 12 don't have the hand in text on allakhazam's, so I'll have to mix em up with the 6 others.... unless I can find them on class specific sites. 2 had none, but I went in game and hailed them, found I had one Spec on a toon and handed it in to get hand in text, still leaves 6 tho.

TheDanishElf
08-21-2006, 05:22 AM
Really great! I don't crash any more.

And yea...I was connecting from my LAN....weird that it should have any effect....but then again..I don't know anything about how this works *hehe*

Thanks a lot :smile: Really great job!

Aramid
08-22-2006, 01:44 PM
This version has FULL TEXT for Hailing and the Emote you get when you do the turn in. I broke up the lines so your client won't get booted during a hail or turn in. I went thru ALL the NPC's and Hailed them several times and gave each one of them 3 Parchments/Runes.

If you hand in a wrong item, you will get it back.

You will see extra Yada Yada Says.. but that is because quest::me is not working properly.

Add these to the POK Quest Pack if you want to FNW.

Here's the file...

www.jtconsultants.com/emu/PokQuestsFullText.zip

John Adams
08-23-2006, 07:54 AM
I would recommend trying to split up the text, and rearranging it a little to avoid the duplication (as below)

Fathernitwit, if I am reading this correct, you know about a bug with lengthy text lines and suggest splitting the lines up. I have tried this, and still crashed my client. Perhaps I didn't split the lines enough?

My bug: http://eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21275

Is there a max recommended text length for the quest::*("text"); lines? 255? 128? When Notepad wraps it around, I knew it was going to be too long. :)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Aramid
08-23-2006, 11:58 AM
John,

I too was having a crash problem, even with the turn in emote's, so I cut all of mine down by using multiple lines. I also used quest::me onlines 2 thru the last line, which is supposed to not use the NPC_NAME says, but it still does.

I don't know if there is a set limit, but I believe I made my longest line 337 and all is well with mine.

fathernitwit
08-24-2006, 01:02 PM
it dosent seem to be a concrete thing, and I KNOW that a lot of the older quests have hail lines which are thousands of characters and I dont remember any problems with them, it may be the titanium client... however, it does seem to be a problem so I was just offering what may be a solution. If you can nail it down better, maybe we can actually fix it.

Aramid
09-06-2006, 06:45 AM
Fathernitwit, if I am reading this correct, you know about a bug with lengthy text lines and suggest splitting the lines up. I have tried this, and still crashed my client. Perhaps I didn't split the lines enough?

My bug: http://eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21275

Is there a max recommended text length for the quest::*("text"); lines? 255? 128? When Notepad wraps it around, I knew it was going to be too long. :)

Any advice would be appreciated.

John,

What are you compiling with?

In another post, Vales quoted that when compiling with VS Pro. you will crash when hailing an NPC. I compile with VS Pro, so maybe this is the problem. If you use VS Pro as well, then I think the 2 are related.

Aramid
09-06-2006, 08:32 AM
This Thread is of interest as well concerning the Hailing problem...

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21216&highlight=2005

John Adams
09-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Aramid, I compile using VS 2005, and where I am getting the crash is not on a self-compiled system anyway. And, my problem isn't exactly "Hail" or aggro. Mid-quest, one of the quest::say() strings is extremely long (wraps even in notepad), and until I broke that up, I would crash encountering it's if($text) condition.

I'll mess around with the hail link you sent, that does sound interesting and makes sense. Thanks!
J