PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic IP's

cubber
08-21-2006, 12:58 AM
I am using minilogin and am wondering how to set it up so that I can let people who have dynamic IP addresses on my lan to log into my server. I am having people login to my network via an OpenVPN server that is part of my Endian Firewall. One drawback of this is that I have not found a way to assign static IP's to users that connect to the OpenVPN server. Is it possible to use wildcards for the IP address when setting up an account in the mysql database (for example: *.*.*.*) ? Or do I manually have to change the IP addresses everytime someone wishes to connect to the server?

mattmeck
08-21-2006, 07:42 AM
http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21072&highlight=minilogin

Angelox
08-21-2006, 07:57 AM
I am using minilogin and am wondering how to set it up so that I can let people who have dynamic IP addresses on my lan to log into my server. I am having people login to my network via an OpenVPN server that is part of my Endian Firewall. One drawback of this is that I have not found a way to assign static IP's to users that connect to the OpenVPN server. Is it possible to use wildcards for the IP address when setting up an account in the mysql database (for example: *.*.*.*) ? Or do I manually have to change the IP addresses everytime someone wishes to connect to the server?

With minilogin, the only thing that matters is your IP, you can fill out what you want at the everquest login prompt, because the minilogin will only look at the ip that's related to the given acount.
You're better off using the egemu login server: you can run a locked server and set a higher than normal security level for you friends to log in.
example: your account is set to staus: 25. and server set to "locked" < this would be a normal playing status - any new accounts would start as status: 0, so they would not be able to login to your locked server.

mattmeck
08-21-2006, 08:23 AM
or you can use what the people did in my link =P

cubber
08-21-2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the replys guys, I think I am going to dig deeper into my openvpn config files and see if I can find a way to map static ip's. I figure there has to be, it just isn't easily found or configured for that matter. I am also seeing that my openvpn server tends to hand out the same IP to the same user by checking the connection history before it assigns an address. So this may be a temporary solution for me. I would prefer to keep my server lan based rather than public.

Angelox
08-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the replys guys, I think I am going to dig deeper into my openvpn config files and see if I can find a way to map static ip's. I figure there has to be, it just isn't easily found or configured for that matter. I am also seeing that my openvpn server tends to hand out the same IP to the same user by checking the connection history before it assigns an address. So this may be a temporary solution for me. I would prefer to keep my server lan based rather than public.

Did you read mattmeck 's link? it has your solution

cubber
08-21-2006, 11:55 PM
Yup I read his link and that is not something that I am interested in doing. I already have a vpn solution implemented for my network and would prefer to use that. I just need to do more reasearching to figure out how to make it hand out static IP's. It is something I need to figure out anyway so I might as well do it now.

JrFaust
08-22-2006, 09:32 AM
you can run a locked server and set a higher than normal security level for you friends to log in.
example: your account is set to staus: 25. and server set to "locked" < this would be a normal playing status - any new accounts would start as status: 0, so they would not be able to login to your locked server.

Is there more info on this type of setup? Or is it that simple?
Just have people setup an account here. Then an LS account. Then create their account on my server and change the status to something other than 0, or is there a minimum status number?

Thank you for your time.

Angelox
08-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Is there more info on this type of setup? Or is it that simple?
Just have people setup an account here. Then an LS account. Then create their account on my server and change the status to something other than 0, or is there a minimum status number?

Thank you for your time.
I haven't looked in detail at this, but the way I see it, you have to be level 100 or higher in order to be able to log into a locked server. that would make you a GM. and ,since it would give you other privelges, you would have to lower this , in order to isolate the one command (say level 10), make sure new players have to be 0, let your friends make their accounts, then lock the server , raise their account to 10 .
you would have to change the #zone command to your MySql database;
INSERT INTO commands(command,access) VALUES ('zone',10);
This will over ride the default command.
The setback is, your friends will be able to use the GM #zone command, in game.