PDA

View Full Version : CTD Bug and Suggested Possible Fix.

InsaneWallaby
08-29-2006, 04:59 PM
This bug is pretty rare and hard to notice, but easy to reproduce. It takes a person with a whole lot o' crap in their bank account to finally make it happen. And, that's how I found it, by moving stuff around in my bank account.

Assume there is a stack of items in your inventory; rations, water flasks, mercedes cars, etc, anything that can stack. Now, if you click that stack and let the window for selecting the number pop up, normally, that window disappears if the backpack containing the stack of items is closed. However, when banking, if you close the bank by walking away, or just merely clicking the end banking button, then the window remains, still allowing you to select the number of items out of the stack. Which, I might add, when you do, crashes the game entirely.

My guess is that the fix should probably not be too hard. Dispose of the window and stop expecting the user to take items out of a stack when closing the bank account and I'm guessing it should be good, but I'm not entirely positive on that. I'm thinking it would duplicate the code used when dealing with an inventory normally--closing that window when the backpack is closed.

And in case you need specific steps, here's what to do.
1. Get stack of items in your inventory.
2. Go bank.
3. Start to get items out of said stack in inventory, but do not finish pulling items out of the stack.
4. Close bank account. Window allowing users to pull items out of stack remains.
5. Click Accept, wait 15 seconds for the crash, and curse when you need to reboot EqEmu.

Hope that helps! Oh, and I was using the latest source code by the way, so this is likely still present.

fathernitwit
08-30-2006, 03:53 PM
which side crashes? client or server?

InsaneWallaby
08-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Sorry, forgot to put that. Looked like my client crashed; server stayed good to go. So, just the client.

fathernitwit
09-06-2006, 03:34 PM
were gunna have to chock this up as a client bug, and if a workaround were possible, it would likely take significant time to fix it. In short, thanks for the detailed report, but its not likely to be fixed.

InsaneWallaby
09-06-2006, 03:42 PM
No problem, mate. It's an easy thing to avoid doing, but I figured it would be good to have it be known and documented, as a CTD bug is nothing to shake a stick at. I'll just be sure to avoid doing that with my bank account...