PDA

View Full Version : Aggro

eq4me
09-10-2006, 01:50 AM
Right now MOBs never loose aggro when you run away. This can be quite annoying when you are in a big outdoor zone.
Is this a broken or not yet implemented feature? Anyone working on it? I am tempted to pick that up as my next project.

fathernitwit
09-11-2006, 02:20 AM
the real issue is determining the criteria for them losing aggro... my recollection is that mobs will keep chasing you until you disappear (invis/zone/etc), but im sure somebody else knows better than I.

mattmeck
09-11-2006, 02:27 AM
Mobs wouldnt chase you once you got so far away from them tho.

For instance, you have SOW, and run past a mob in lets say South Karana, by the time you got to the other side of the zone the mobs would arive 10-15 min later it would have given up.

eq4me
09-11-2006, 02:55 AM
I summoned and used fabled journeyman boots and let a drolvarg chase me through nearly the whole Dreadlands. But I did actually hit him since he was green and didnt aggro on me by himself. Maybe that makes a difference?

eq4me
09-11-2006, 04:40 AM
Well, just to be sure I tried again in Dreadlands and West Karana. None of the mobs i aggroed stopped chasing me.

Btw. Drachnids seem to be awfully fast. Even with +50% runspeed they where only like 20 seconds behind me from exit of the cave to the Spires to entrance of the cave to Firiona Vie. The mountain giant braes where like 60 seconds behind. The bandits bears and whatnot in South Karana where multiple minutes behind me.

It is some years that I played on Live but as far as I remember most MOBs stopped after a minute of chasing(With SOW and/or if I got off a root before I tunred tail) at max. But as long as you did not zone or relog after they gave up chasing you they had a very wide aggro range on you.

John Adams
09-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Well, just to be sure I tried again in Dreadlands and West Karana. None of the mobs i aggroed stopped chasing me.
It is true. As a current Live player, mobs do stop chasing you under certain conditions (like distance from them, mostly). But I do know there are some cases when they never stop until you zone or camp. Terror in PoFear, anyone? I think some of the mini/bosses will chase you until you are hamburger. So it's variable.

But currently, you're correct. I do not think aggro loss working properly (though it makes for some funny ass screenshots when you have 40 drachnids nipping at your heals).

http://members.cox.net/raahvinmt/images/EQ000033.jpg

GeorgeS
09-11-2006, 04:09 PM
They should either stop after a specific time or after a certain distance.
As mentioned right now they will chase you all over.

GeorgeS

eq4me
09-11-2006, 10:51 PM
It is true. As a current Live player, mobs do stop chasing you under certain conditions (like distance from them, mostly). But I do know there are some cases when they never stop until you zone or camp. Terror in PoFear, anyone? I think some of the mini/bosses will chase you until you are hamburger. So it's variable.

Hmm, so maybe the table npc_types needs another field which determines if the npc is likely to loose interest in chasing someone? How about not just 0(stops chasing) or 1(never stops chasing) but 0-255. So if someone would put in the time we could have some more or less sophisticated code that determines aggro loss from different factors like distance to player, distance to spawnpoint and agressiveness(the 0-255 value).
I recon the enlarged re-aggro range from monsters that stopped chasing you since your last login would be harder to implement?

Can someone point me on the to the code that is supposed to handle chasing aggro?

eq4me
10-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Sorry for the bump but I cant find anything so far that would indicate an loss of aggro from running away in the EQEmu code. Additionally I have not bee able to find an good description of aggro behaviour for EQLive. Anyone has an resource?

ndnet
10-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Mobs seem to have an individual chase radius within which it will follow a targeted player indefinitely. If the player runs beyond this radius, the mob will run along some path. The path itself is hazy to me, it might be as if the creature were feared, it might be a path that leads to its spawn location, or it might resume its predermined patrolling path. I want to say the likely case is the fear pathing as it always seemed to be in the exact opposite direction from myself. In any case, the mob is running, and yelling for help the whole time (just like when you've got it engaged).

While running home, other NPCs can be alerted of the player and target them as well. They will even give chase if the player is within their particular range. If not, they will usually just continue their current action of standing still or patrolling until either they forget the player or the player comes within their chase range.

Mobs seem to attempt to reset themselves every 5 or 7.5 minutes after being engaged. If the player is still within their chase range, they will continue to give chase indefinitely. If none of their targets is within their chase range, they'll probably reset themselves and lose aggro. I wouldn't really implement this until after some lengthy discussions on in which instances the reset will succeed.

Mobs also seem to reset themselves (hp, etc) completely once arriving at their spawn point, if they're static, so it may not take as long. Roaming mobs tend to just resume their roaming after aggro is wiped. They might reset at their spawn points, too, but such a thing occurs so infrequently it's not readily observed.

The only ways I recall to force an aggro wipe are as follows:
zone (zone, camp, die, etc), feign death, memory blur, fading memories (and similar skills, e.g. escape), get far, far away and let everything cool down for about 10 minutes.

The latter of methods being difficult for anyone that runs slower than a Bard, mind you, with most zones not being large enough to pull enough distance with only a minor difference in speed.

Being invis has no bearing on mob behavior, they can always find you if you're on their hatelist, visible or not. Tired of rambling, some others can finish hashing it all out.

Angelox
10-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Depends on the Era - at first, mobs never lost aggro , and you either had to camp out or zone the aggro, because they would always be coming for you. What did happen was, mobs would "freak" and run after you in the wrong direction (bad pathing or whatever)

Then on later expansions , you could "outrun" the aggro, but if you came back to the mobs area, the mob would remember (still had to camp the aggro).

RangerDown
10-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Angelox's depiction is the most accurate from my experiences. In EQ, you simply do not lose the aggro by running away. Especially up thru and including Velious.

If the mob turns from its direct path toward you, it's usually because it lost line of sight to you and is now relying on pathing to find a direct line of sight back to you. Many a fearsome train has been caused by this mechanic, since sometimes its pathing logic has it turn and run back down into the dungeon, causing social aggro with all friendly mobs it runs past.

I've on occasion witnessed a mob stop when you get out of range, and I can't really understand why it does that unless it's searching thru its pathing and can't figure out a path to you. In those cases, from what I've seen, it continues to hold position until it either loses aggro by its hate target camping/zoning/dying, or it discovers another tasty target nearby and runs over to it.

I can't really speak for the aggro in zones past Luclin, and for some of the most recent expansions they very well may have coded in distance aggro loss. They also seem to code in aggro decay on certain boss mobs as a deliberate tactic to make hate management part of the challenge, but those are the exception rather than the rule. But for those of you new to EQ -- this ain't EQ2, and this ain't DAoC. If you aggro a mob and don't do zone/camp/die/use a memblur type spell, then the mob *WILL* continue to remember you -- INDEFINITELY -- until one of those things happens.