PDA

View Full Version : mini to public conversion

maverick3n1
09-24-2006, 06:20 AM
After dealing with all of the limitations of mini-login, I've decided I want to setup a public login server. Can I do that easily with my existing setup, or will I need to wipe the characters/accounts since the public doesn't use IP specific accounting? I'd like to keep the characters I have, but convert it to public.

John Adams
09-24-2006, 06:40 AM
You should not have to change anything except the LoginType and some configs in the XML. The data is good for either (you won't lose char data).

Cyro
01-07-2007, 05:44 AM
what is the LoginType...I too am trying to create a Public server. The minilogin server works great! However, I thought I had to only change the server type to public (where ServerMode=MiniLogin).
Any Ideas?

We already have all the issues as far as DNS and Dynamics all setup. Just need this final step...

Thanks in advance,
-Cyro

Cripp
01-07-2007, 05:58 AM
the Variables table in the database....
change Logintype (i think its called that) to Public..or anything except MiniLogin will work, pretty sure.

hope this helps/////

Cyro
01-07-2007, 11:45 AM
lol, pretty sure you are wrong. I am not trying to sound mean, but just changing the variables in the database will NOT work. You have a start.bat that is executing the minilogin executable and you have addresses that are being directed to minilogin...

Does anyone know how to make the minilogin LoginServer work as a public server?

Thanks,
-Cyro

Aerewen
01-07-2007, 11:54 AM

Thanks,
-Cyro

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22081

that thread has a php solution i made to allow minilogin to host a semi-public server

Angelox
01-07-2007, 11:56 AM
lol, pretty sure you are wrong. I am not trying to sound mean, but just changing the variables in the database will NOT work. You have a start.bat that is executing the minilogin executable and you have addresses that are being directed to minilogin...

Thanks,
-Cyro
Well, he probably thought you read up and knew what he was talking about - you have to read Wiki and search these forums for answers, In fact, this thread is not called for, as it is already been discussed many times. They are just trying to be nice.

Cyro
01-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Okay, well I didn't create the thread, and I HAVE been looking. Was hoping to avoid the PHP issue; however, I can give it a shot!

Thank you for your help! I will keep you posted on the update...

Cripp
01-07-2007, 03:26 PM

Thanks,
-Cyro

i thought u were trying to convert from minilogin to public login.. geeze

mattmeck
01-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Cyro: When you hyjack an existing thread dont get pissy when people think you are talking about the original subject.

Cyro
01-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Haha, my apologies everyone. I AM talking about the original subject. I DO want a public login. And it was NOT my intent to sound pissy. I appreciate the help Cripp;however, I found it much harder than just changing the word MiniLogin to Public. No offense, but I have read up on the minilogin server and I am well aware that it was designed to be used for LAN use only (according to the wiki). Which is why I said you need more than only changing a couple lines in the code to "Public". Again, I am sorry for sounding like a jerk face, haha...

I have jumped to the thread about the PHP fix as stated above. And I am still running into some issues. Hopefully I didn't step on anyone's toes...and I hope you all know that we really do appreciate your help!!!

-Cyro

John Adams
01-08-2007, 01:38 AM
Maybe IT's just THE upperCASING of EVERY other WORD. :D

But you are correct, there is a little more to it than switching the LoginType in the database. You have to edit the eqemu_config.xml and change the <logonserver> tag (or whatever it's called, I am at work and cannot check). That tells your world.exe to look _there_ instead of _here_ (local) for the LS to announce itself on.

The logonserver address should be "eqemulator.net" and the port 5998.

If you are not actually asking how to get your server to show up with the others on the eqemulator.net login server, you're on your own. :) Hope this helps.

bufferofnewbies
01-08-2007, 01:49 AM
I'm a big Hamachi (http://hamachi.cc/) fan myself, when it comes to a non-lan game. It allows for great 'small area' testing without having to worry about the wrong people getting in while you are testing things.

but then again, I like excessively overcomplicated techniques that often result in complete failure of the system rendering it inert!

Truthfully tho, hamachi is only useful for smaller groups of people you know well. (read as:I am able to walk over to your house and punch you if you do something bad to the network.)

How's that for a sidetrack on a post...

John Adams
01-08-2007, 07:42 AM
but then again, I like excessively overcomplicated techniques that often result in complete failure of the system rendering it inert!
Are you certain you are not a software engineer IRL?

bufferofnewbies
01-08-2007, 08:08 AM
nope, I'm a retired nuclear reactor engineer. :)

but close..

John Adams
01-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Now there's something you don't hear everyday.

We actually do have a rocket scientist amongst us.

bufferofnewbies
01-08-2007, 12:07 PM
It's not really that hard. A blind monkey could do the job.

Actually, thinking back to co-workers.. I'm sure some did.

mwmdragon
01-08-2007, 01:52 PM
LOL

Sorry , this post made me split seam.. I had to post an LOL.