PDA

View Full Version : Inaccurate Spell Levels

Dymerius
11-14-2006, 02:02 PM
This is actually an issue that I was fooling with a while back, but never had any success. I'm about to start messing with it again, but I figured this might be a good place to start troubleshooting ;)

I'd like to adjust a lot of the levels that classes can use certain spells. (Right now, the spell levels are scattered around instead of being at their usual 5-ish level intervals)

Is it as easy as modifying the levelx fields in the spells table? I had some problems with changes made in the table not being reflected in game, so I just wanted to check.

What all is involved in changing when certain classes can scribe a spell?

Thanks in advance.

GeorgeS
11-14-2006, 02:39 PM
In the items table, you need to change the scroll levels and then the spells via Windcatcher's spell editor which edits spells_us.txt
That's just my guess - since I've not edited spells

GeorgeS

Dymerius
11-14-2006, 04:01 PM
On the server, players never get actual spell scrolls. There is an NPC to scribe them, but when (for example) a level 34 Druid gets his spells scribed, he doesn't have a defined set of spells for that level like he should, instead, he has some spells at level 34, some at 33, some at 32, etc.. Just scattered. Just a little clarification. I don't think it's in the items table. I'll look for the spell editor. Thanks ;)

paaco
11-14-2006, 05:17 PM
You don't have to change anything in the database at all. All you have to do is edit the spells_us.txt file. Like Georges said though use an editor. You can do it by hand, but it's pretty confusing and hard, and very easy to break things.

bufferofnewbies
11-14-2006, 10:09 PM
You kids and your editors.
Why, back in MY day, we had to edit it by hand...

...in the snow.
...for miles of code.
...uphill both ways!

and yes, make sure you use an editor unless you learn how the spells_us.txt is written. It IS very easy to mess up the entire batch with one simple comma out of place. What? No, of course I have never done anything so stupid! At least not that anyone could prove..

Yay for backups before tests.

Dymerius
11-15-2006, 03:12 AM
Ok, thanks a lot. :) While we're on the subject:

Does the spells table in the database pull data from the spells_us.txt or is the table just completely obsolete? Also, just FMI, what is the difference between spells_us.txt and spells_en.txt?

GeorgeS
11-15-2006, 03:29 AM
The spells table is just for your reference

GeorgeS

Rhodan
11-15-2006, 03:33 AM
Actually, I believe live went with the spells every level scheme some time ago and its not an eqemu phenomenon. I think this was an attempt to make it more interesting to play - new toys ever time you level instead of only once every 3-5 levels.

bufferofnewbies
11-15-2006, 03:37 AM
spells_en is no longer used.

It stands for spells_english, Im sure out there somewhere is a spells_fr, spells_sp, etc. They are not only the effects of the spells 'but most of that is really server coding actually', but also the text of the spell when you cast, have it cast on you, it wears off, etc. So there should be a different version for each language the game is produced in, I believe.

Not sure when they swapped around on the spell lists, but spells_us has been the only one updated for a long time now, and seems to be the only one being called to by the client for data. I 'believe' that spells_en is the origional series of spell files that came with the game, and spells_us was created when they went global with it. But my opinion and $1 will equal $0.99, if you catch my drift.

edit: for a doh doh doh! on my part

Dymerius
11-15-2006, 03:58 AM
Thanks once again :) one more question that I forgot to include in my previous post: will clients need to update their spells_us.txt file in order to have the changes reflected on their end?

paaco
11-15-2006, 04:46 AM
If you change the file then yes people on your server will need the updated one. It actually depends what you change. If you just fix an effect or change it, people wont need an updated one. If you change spell text or levels people still don't have to have it, but it will display spell levels wrong and give the wrong text.

Dymerius
11-15-2006, 06:28 AM