PDA

View Full Version : worldbuilders plz read...

morpheus014
06-04-2002, 10:33 AM
Today I registered a project with source forge.net, and am hereby launching the Universaldb project, which I hope to use to unify all the worldbuilders out there to one project, where we can work on and update a DB conataining world data contributed by everyone. The page for the project will be located at http://universaldb.sourceforge.net and should be up within 3 to 4 days, depending on when sourceforge approves the project. I hope that anyone doing world building will support me in this, and that we can create a reliable db and focus everyones efforts to one goal. Please post any thoughts/comments here, feed back is great :)

Lurker_005
06-04-2002, 11:48 AM
http://sourceforge.net/projects/eqemudb

... not really sure what to say, it just hasn't been kicked into gear.

I guess the biggest thing is cordination, and the file format each person would be working in. That involves getting the current DB to comply with standards so that we don't overwrite each others work... What version of zones do you work with? Or a way to have seperate versions of the zones. Several zones have been revamped now...

morpheus014
06-04-2002, 12:15 PM
I have my 3.1 db functioning basicly error free with version 3.3.1, but have a problem with spawngroups, not all the zones spawn out correctly.. get spawngroup error in zonent.exe. Didnt realize that there was already a collaborative db project going on, I would be happy to contribute to the db effort.

TheClaus
06-04-2002, 12:38 PM
LOL,

I have to laugh. Cause like Lurker said the idea was thought upon. Hell I and Gino came up with it. Have the design doc and everything but alas no one will use it. It makes sense but people like doing there own thing. I have moved on from that and making custom worlds that are not even related to EQ so if you want the website let me know and i'll transfer ownership.

Ariak
06-04-2002, 12:53 PM
I'd like to see you hand re-number over 100,000 values without screwing them up. Most likely, you'll mess up in the process and have to start anew.

If you want to do this, best of luck for you.

Start doing it, first, then see if it is a good idea. Seriously.

Ariak
06-04-2002, 01:09 PM
The American market *needs* to use the metric system. Why? 99% of the world does. It is much more convenient and is easier to learn.

Why can we not do this? Re-numbering the ENTIRE database (IE - cars, planes, missiles, computers, tvs, many things.) would be a huge and tedious task.

Educating the public (Ie - database editors) would be as big of a task. Yes. I would KILL for a database system so that when I add a spawn i don't have to search for conflicting spawns, lol. And, adding items, too.

morpheus014
06-04-2002, 01:25 PM
OK so it was a good idea in theroy lol I will take your advice on this, but will try to keep merging and cleaning up databases. Will probably use the source forge page to host them. Thx for the heads up on the problems with this, that didnt occur to me lol dont exactly have the time/patience/both to renumber or recreate a 100,000 line db lol :P I guess it could work, but would take a lot of coodination, and seeing as most everyone who would be working on it has a life also it probably woundnt get too far :)

TheClaus
06-05-2002, 02:26 AM
Ariak it can be done but everyone wants to work on their own. There is no co-op with world building at all. 100,000 is alot but if you broke it into zones and it wouldn't take long for 5 to 10 people to get it done. The point he is trying to get to is that all the world builders need to work together instead of doing things on there own. I could care less about my design doc. It is there for an idea. Would help out alot of people with not conflicting. If you guys are concerned out who gets bragging rights you all would. This is an old subject though. It is in the forums before. Basically it came down to people not wanting to work together to make it happen. We weren't asking for commitments just trying to get the world builders together so we could get a cleaner db out. morpheus014 if you can get it to work great. Use the design chart if you want or if you have something else then use that. Have fun.

Khevor
06-05-2002, 07:54 AM
I definitely like the idea. I've been toying around with multiple databases made available here but I've also been pulling data from the EQCollector program (not a pleasant task). In that I've discovered that our own databases are missing quite a few tables (i.e. Deities), a multitude of "common" factions (i.e. Guardians of the Vale, Ashen Order, Freeport Militia, etc) and massive amounts of multiple spawn entries (i.e. Brother Jentry in Freeport can also be somehow found in Ak'Anon).

I've imported the entire database into Microsoft Access and have been working on the table structures there then exporting back to mySQL format and so far so good but I ran into another issue - how are stacked items counted in the database? I would think there should be a column called 'count' to show how many are in a stack of a given item (i.e. initial equipment for characters start out with stacked food and water).

What I'm saying is that this will be a massive task and if people are willing to work at it cooperatively, then we'll have the most comprehensive database on EQ items, zones, spawns, quests, etc short of the game itself.

Like I said, I like the idea :)

stormgod
06-05-2002, 08:13 AM
as far as I know items are saved as they are captured , ie the client receive a small packet from the server in EQLive and its this packet who is stored in the database , for the stack or charge the blob is simply updated .

keeping item like that is good cause what the server need to do to send an item to the client is simply take the blob and send the blob as is , not any work to do on data to reassemble the blob

Khevor
06-05-2002, 08:19 AM
The only problem with that is it can't be modified. Such as change the number of items in a stack or create a new stack from within the database. :( Oh well.