PDA

View Full Version : Basic understanding

creiss
01-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Hello all,

I know there are tons of startup scripts. But I want to grasp the works :)

The world binary is the main thingy. It, I assume is unique, will not get launched more than once, handles characters, chat and zoning (not zones). I launch that first with, well, no arguments. For the sake of things, we assume the login works, and don't want to bulge into that :)

Second, I have zone and eqlaunch. This is where it gets fuzzy. I guesstimate the zone server is not to be launched by me, but is being launched, with unknown incantations by eqlaunch. Each instance of zone holds one zone, which in turn controls everything happening in that one zone. Short: Magic, I dont touch.

Right, so there is eqlaunch. It wants a first argument that its pretty secret about. I am a little fuzzy with all the tutorials but i think its the name of a launchergroup. So you can group several zones into a group, and in turn, have multiple servers handle different zones. Makes sense, if i am still on track here.

So I have a 1 server only, 1 client only setup (for now). Thus, I want to stroll around the world. Obviously I dont and do need all zones. I dont need them all loaded on start, but i do want them to start up when i zone into them. I dont know if this can be done. Back to topic. No matter what name I supply to eqlaunch, world says unknown group.

Wiki to the rescue! Okay, so I have to supply a db-set for each and every zone, all with different ports (which seem to be ignored anyway, according to wiki (why not auto_increment)). I need to hack in each and every zone by hand, even if there is only one launcher? I hope there is a way to set a default one. Or can someone supply me with a sql dump of the zone config?

I guess what I am asking are two things:

First, did i get the server layout right?
Second, anyone got a "easy and cheap as borschtsch"-solution for my "one-server-for-all" solution?

Thanks again for your ongoing patience with me,
much appreciated.

-Chris.
(I am the head developer of an opensource tool, too - and know, after hundreds of support messages, I finally get to know the other side of the helpdesk *rings the bell*)

rojadruid
01-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Hello all,

I know there are tons of startup scripts. But I want to grasp the works :)

The world binary is the main thingy. It, I assume is unique, will not get launched more than once, handles characters, chat and zoning (not zones). I launch that first with, well, no arguments. For the sake of things, we assume the login works, and don't want to bulge into that :)

Second, I have zone and eqlaunch. This is where it gets fuzzy. I guesstimate the zone server is not to be launched by me, but is being launched, with unknown incantations by eqlaunch. Each instance of zone holds one zone, which in turn controls everything happening in that one zone. Short: Magic, I dont touch.

Right, so there is eqlaunch. It wants a first argument that its pretty secret about. I am a little fuzzy with all the tutorials but i think its the name of a launchergroup. So you can group several zones into a group, and in turn, have multiple servers handle different zones. Makes sense, if i am still on track here.

So I have a 1 server only, 1 client only setup (for now). Thus, I want to stroll around the world. Obviously I dont and do need all zones. I dont need them all loaded on start, but i do want them to start up when i zone into them. I dont know if this can be done. Back to topic. No matter what name I supply to eqlaunch, world says unknown group.

Wiki to the rescue! Okay, so I have to supply a db-set for each and every zone, all with different ports (which seem to be ignored anyway, according to wiki (why not auto_increment)). I need to hack in each and every zone by hand, even if there is only one launcher? I hope there is a way to set a default one. Or can someone supply me with a sql dump of the zone config?

I guess what I am asking are two things:

First, did i get the server layout right?
Second, anyone got a "easy and cheap as borschtsch"-solution for my "one-server-for-all" solution?

Thanks again for your ongoing patience with me,
much appreciated.

-Chris.
(I am the head developer of an opensource tool, too - and know, after hundreds of support messages, I finally get to know the other side of the helpdesk *rings the bell*)

Look into the "http" config menu it can save you lots of time setting up launchers.

sfisque
01-17-2007, 06:52 PM
almost.

zone is a many to one executable. basically, you want one zone (the executable) running for every "zone" (game zone) you want available simultaneously.

basically, if you foresee having, lets say, 17 people in game at the same time, and plausibly, each of them could be in a separate zone, thus, you would need at least 17 zone (the executable) running. just to get up and running and have a couple of your mates log in and run around, 5-10 should be plenty. i run 10 zones atm, which has been plenty for my needs. this of course is in addition to any "static zones" you launch, aka, zone launched with a specific "zone name". "static zones" are just that, a specific zone that is "always" available and not swapped out when all players have exited it. the generic startup script that gets bumped around the forum alot starts up 5 "dynamic" zones which load and swap out depending on which zones have players in them. if a 6th person logs in and goes into a 6th zone that isnt up and running, they will get a message that the zone is unavailable and probably booted back to the zone they were at (or the login screen if they hadn't gotten into game yet).

hope this helps.

== sfisque

creiss
01-18-2007, 01:41 AM
Wow,

okay, after getting the web to work (where does it say, in any linux howto, to copy the template directory into the server dir, and the mime.type to the server root?) i was able to use the very good configuration page and i am now up and running with 10 dynamic zones. :)

Thanks!

-Chris.

eq4me
01-18-2007, 01:49 AM
Wow,

okay, after getting the web to work (where does it say, in any linux howto, to copy the template directory into the server dir, and the mime.type to the server root?) i was able to use the very good configuration page and i am now up and running with 10 dynamic zones.

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=LinuxServerGuide

Under 4. Assembling the Pieces

The "cp -a ~eqemu/build/EQEmu-0.7.0-854/utils/defaults/* ." does the trick.