PDA

View Full Version : Linux question

devn00b
01-26-2007, 09:13 AM
Have the linux issues been fixed in the emu yet? Last i tryed with guildwars it would only open soo many zones then it would just bomb out.

Also it was using insane amounts of cpu. Linux is not a good platform for an emu server.

gernblan
01-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Working great so far.

The thing about Linux servers, it seems, is that unlike windows you really need to know what's going on under the hood. It's best to compile ths source yourself, and make sure all cflags and other variables are set accordingly.

From what I can tell, if it's done right, nothing beats the Linux emu server. No memory leaks (or too few to tell). Very fast and responsive. LOW resources used actually, I'm shocked how low.

Let's see what else.. no stuck characters or ghosting. No save errors. No dynamic zones failing to shut down.

Honestly, from a hand-on perspective, I wouldn't trade a linux emu server for a windows one for anything.

devn00b
01-26-2007, 02:07 PM
yes but how many zones are you loading? are they static? try loading 1 zone for each zone in old world, now tell me...do they all boot up? whats the cpu usage?

eq4me
01-26-2007, 10:51 PM
You are probably refering to the increasing load average with more zones. I've seen load averages over 10 with lots of static zones. This comes from the implementation of EQemu and you do not need to worry about this as long as the CPU utilization is low.

See here for the gory details:
http://www.teamquest.com/resources/gunther/display/5/index.htm
"The sum of the number of processes waiting in the run-queue plus the number currently executing"

And yes, get the -pg flag out of the makefiles and with halfway decent hardware you probably will never be CPU bound on an EMU server. Compared to this the right -O and -march= flags are just icing on the cake.

devn00b
01-27-2007, 07:09 AM
You are probably refering to the increasing load average with more zones. I've seen load averages over 10 with lots of static zones. This comes from the implementation of EQemu and you do not need to worry about this as long as the CPU utilization is low.

See here for the gory details:
http://www.teamquest.com/resources/gunther/display/5/index.htm
"The sum of the number of processes waiting in the run-queue plus the number currently executing"

And yes, get the -pg flag out of the makefiles and with halfway decent hardware you probably will never be CPU bound on an EMU server. Compared to this the right -O and -march= flags are just icing on the cake.

Obviously joo dont know who i am, and thats fine, I was a developer for the emulator, i was also Co-admin of one of the largest emu servers. I am well aware of how eqemu works under linux. Again, somone load up 71 static zones, and tell me, if they all load under linux. I can tell you right now, when the last guildwars was under development they wouldnt.

eq4me
01-27-2007, 07:29 AM
I've loaded well over 70 zones on an server without ill effects and I know that the PEQ server also runs quite some static zones. If this particular problem would still exist(if it existed at all and was not a case of misconfiguration or error in the GW source)someone would have mentioned it after your first question. With recent 0.7.0 sources stability is not an issue, besides some well known(and mostly fixed) crash effects that also happen under Windows.

Honestly I do not care who you are, what car you own and what you have done in the distant past. I judge people by their posts and I am not very impressed by you.

devn00b
01-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Hmm i care what you think of me? never did. Most old timers will tell you, I never have cared what emu fucktards think of me.

1) First of all I said load up 71 static zones not 'loaded well over 70 zones' whooptifuckingdoo i can load fucking 300+ zones
2) 'also runs quite some static zones' here let me judge your post real quick, mmmm, oh ya YOU FUCKING DONT KNOW ENGLISH
3) I don't care who you are either, because you can't even construct a post that relates to anything that was said before.
4) Guildwars compiled and ran fine in windows, Also compiled fine in linux, but had the above mentioned issues.
5) Next time you summon a pet just remember, yer sucking my cock.

Now if you wish to troll, find another place to do it.

Anyone with some data on loading more than 71 STATIC zones in emu under nix please let me know, id be interested to see if it works.

eq4me
01-27-2007, 08:30 AM
1) First of all I said load up 71 static zones not 'loaded well over 70 zones' whooptifuckingdoo i can load fucking 300+ zones

[... lots of blustering and bad language omitted ...]

Anyone with some data on loading more than 71 STATIC zones in emu under nix please let me know, id be interested to see if it works.

This two statements seems like a contradiction to me. Unfortunately I stopped enjoying flamewars aproximately 15 years ago. So you must talk to yourself now.

John Adams
01-27-2007, 08:33 AM
devn00b
That's amazing in itself.

Seriously though, is that 14 y/o flaming, cursing, hostile tone necessary? If you don't care what us "emu fucktards" think, you shouldn't waste your energy. Seems if anyone dares to challenge your omnipotence, you drop a dozen f'bombs, beat your chest, then go away for a month or so.

I think your input could be appreciated. You are indeed an old timer. There are plenty of quality folks involved (currently) with this project that deserve just a tad more respect from you.

devn00b
01-27-2007, 08:41 AM
This will be my last post in this thread, as I believe eq4me has realy proven for me that he knows not what he says.

Static Zones, are zones that are always booted, always running etc.

So 71 static zones means you load them not in a sleeping state.

Not sure how i contradict myself. I cant load 71 static zones, but i can load well over 300 NON STATIC ZONES.

Your lack of mastery over the english language is really appalling perhaps you should revisit 3rd grade.

Grats on opening your server guys, I might stop by to check it out =).

eq4me
01-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Finally I see what you meant. Yes I should explicitely stated that I loaded 'static' zones. I thought from the context of the thread this was obvious, who would care if I could load whatever amount of dynamic(aka sleeping) zones.

And yes, English is not my native language.

Well, I think its time to stop derailing this thread and visit Jest II.

KingMort
01-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Don't act all High and Mighty Devn00b

Raid Addicts has been around 2 years longer than yours, and it has always run JUST FINE IN LINUX <-----

The server is CURRENTLY hosted in LINUX, and can handle probably 150 people before any lag or ld starts to occur....

Remember what this project is about , it's about helping people, not some pissing contest... Remember your place..

Jest and Zeb, have done really good work, they PWN your server ...

Rant off

King Mortenson

fathernitwit
01-27-2007, 12:53 PM
I dont care to get involved in the rest of this thread, but I wanted to post a factual piece of information.

PEQ runs gentoo with a 2.6 kernel, 2GB of ram, P4 3.2Ghz HT. It runs 112 zones (98 static, 15 dynamic) all the time... server load average is high with people on (can get over 100), but the machine has been up 282 days right now and things generally run reasonable.

Further, all zones, static and dynamic, effectively sleep when there are no people in them... so booting several hundred static zones with no people on will not likely load the CPU all that much... RAM is another story however. On that note, lots of spell casting NPCs are the biggest source of CPU load right now.

Angelox
01-27-2007, 01:38 PM
Hmm i care what you think of me? never did. Most old timers will tell you, I never have cared what emu fucktards think of me.

2) 'also runs quite some static zones' here let me judge your post real quick, mmmm, oh ya YOU FUCKING DONT KNOW ENGLISH
3) I don't care who you are either, because you can't even construct a post that relates to anything that was said before.
4) Guildwars compiled and ran fine in windows, Also compiled fine in linux, but had the above mentioned issues.

FatherNitwit> ==12/11/05
FatherNitwit: Rewrote all the pet creation code to be based on npc_types
FatherNitwit: Completely changed the pets table.

Glad I don't have to blow you :)

WildcardX
01-28-2007, 04:12 AM
Originally Posted by devn00b

Even if I had data on running more than 71 static zones, I'm not sure I would share that information with someone who is gonna flame and trash people. Devn00b, it is nice to see people come back to the project but I'm not sure dropping the f-bomb one people your trying to get information from is going to prove effective.

Aangus
01-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Debian Stable - dual processor P3 1000 server with 1.25 gig ram - 88 static zones +5 dynamic zones - no problems at all - hardly any load difference from when we had all dynamic zones but a lot faster and better to play on.

Angelox
01-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Debian Stable - dual processor P3 1000 server with 1.25 gig ram - 88 static zones +5 dynamic zones - no problems at all - hardly any load difference from when we had all dynamic zones but a lot faster and better to play on.
What kind of connection and how many players on at one time?

Aangus
01-29-2007, 01:13 PM
DSL 1.5 meg / 768k connection - usually only 4 or 5 players

Angelox
01-29-2007, 01:50 PM
You and I have about the same connection and same hardware, I was just wondering how it would work with players on. I just have it for DB work now.

Teppen
01-31-2007, 12:24 PM
wow, havent seen devn00b post in awhile...

i thought you were banned...

after you left dev team you had posted the public loginserver in zip file on a forum (which was removed rather quickly by another dev).

could of swore you got forum banned for that, guess not huh.

you always did have a bad attitude. for those who didnt get chance to read his comments towards the other dev at the time he went postal here is his words:

--devn00b's leaving project anger post (appeared in loginserver post)--

This is my final act in reguards to eqemu. I once worked hard and cared about the project, as the other developers did, but now things have changed. They arent happy with the way things where setup (and had worked since dec of 2001). Image was kicked because people wanted control nothing more. I was kicked because im friends with image.

Doodman: Tho we dont see eye to eye I appreciate your kindness and understanding

Kathgar: I hope all is well

Khuong: ... nuff said there.

LethalEncounter: GJ brining this on. Could have stoped it with a few simple keystrokes, but no...

Wiz: Your a liar, and a worthless person in the last year you where supposed to put in LoS code. Never did. You kept telling me you sent ram you promised. Never got here. Nor did customs stop anything otw to my area.

Melwin: Glad you dont live in my hood.

Now on to the good stuff.

Rename the eqcrypto.athlon.dll to eqcrypto.dll. Change your computers network name to athlon (Note if you dont do this it wont work). Compile the login server. Run the SQL file in MYSQL. Edit db.ini as well as loginserver.ini and enjoy.

-- Devn00b --
-- Former Eqemu Developer/Administrator --

--End of devn00b's leaving project anger post ------------------------------

btw, image was a loser after he did his scam to capture peoples live accounts and started posting them on ebay, was the sign he didnt belong in this community. Then there was a post on another eq related forum of a person tracked him down and posted all his information including his license plate, make, model, year of his vehicle.. needless to say he got owned. The only thing worth saying was he was man enough to sort it out and people as far as I know got there accounts back. (never really followed up on it).
He would have been better off if he just continued to write code for the project instead of scams. The two best things that happened to the eqemu community was when you two left. nuff said.

And in my opinion since you obviously never got banned for posting the public loginserver you should of, atleast it would have stopped future posts from you.

hope you never return.

Angelox
01-31-2007, 12:46 PM
Well, the problem most of us mods have here is, he is senior and even though we don't know him, we respect that; someone who's stayed in the forum so long, and acts like this, is surprizing.
Anyone who has an account older than mine, I think twice before banning, and usually I consult.

John Adams
02-01-2007, 03:14 AM
He would have been better off if he just continued to write code for the project instead of scams.
This type of reasoning usually directly relates to maturity. No stable, adult-minded, mature person would think this was "ok" to do. Regardless of seniority on a forum, or previous acts of heroism, soon as someone crosses the line and rips people off or goes on tirades of insulting commentary, they lose all respect.

It's not rocket science to be mature. Anyone posting on forums sthese days should have the cognitive capacity to understand right from wrong (Netiquette). Some just don't give a damn.

Ueguvil
02-01-2007, 05:21 AM
Well, the problem most of us mods have here is, he is senior and even though we don't know him, we respect that; someone who's stayed in the forum so long, and acts like this, is surprizing.
Anyone who has an account older than mine, I think twice before banning, and usually I consult.

Being a tremendous douche for longer than anyone else on the forums really doesn't count for much.

Teppen
02-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Found a small error in my post above which Id like to fix, and had to create new post because Im unable to edit my previous post for some odd reason.

Anyways I meant to say:
---
And in my opinion since you obviously never got banned for posting the public loginserver sourcecode
---

Instead of:
---
And in my opinion since you obviously never got banned for posting the public loginserver

Ofcourse, the version he posted was an early state of the loginserver and from what Im told the dev's have made several improvements to it since that time. Regardless of his number of posts, it was still a bad judgement call on his part. Nowdays a person can get banned asking for eq warez on forums but he gets a free pass for posting loginserver source? Anyways, Im done posting on this thread, Im one of the few who actually remember him, as my join date says Ive been a member since 2002 and witnessed several good devs leave on the count of devnoob's attitude and remarks. Dont mind my posts, just venting.

Hurray! My 1st rant of 2007.

/rant off

mattmeck
02-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Dev was banned for that for a while actually.

The situation was brought up to the developers, its in there hands.

gernblan
02-07-2007, 05:30 AM
FatherNitwit> ==12/11/05
FatherNitwit: Rewrote all the pet creation code to be based on npc_types
FatherNitwit: Completely changed the pets table.

Glad I don't have to blow you :)

PWNED!

ROFL! ROFL!