PDA

View Full Version : cyclops heads

eqfenam
01-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Just curious.. I have searched the forums both here and on Angelox's site and nothing much has been mentioned about all giants having cyclops heads.. I have tried changing a few values in the npc_types table to no avail... is there a fix for it yet? if not, is anyone currently working on a fix? not really a big issue, just a bit annoying is all.. hehe

solid11
01-28-2007, 07:47 AM
meaning giants dropping cyclops heads as loot or gfx wise? if its gfx, the giants i have seen in commons, kael and other places have correct gfx.

eqfenam
01-28-2007, 01:31 PM
not the loot... the gfx.. I saw post about it from a while back and never found much of a follow up on it... however I an still having the problem in oasis, everfrost, permafrost, rathe, etc... I suppose I should mention, I am running build 945 with Angelox's 21g database and quests... either way, I have gone into the database and altered some settings to try to fix this, but had no luck... the table entries look to be correct. Hence why I was wondering if there was a fix in progress or perhaps one that was already out..

solid11
01-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Well I'm using 945 with PEQ and checked those zones and all is fine with the giants. Can't say the same for Angel's though. Sorry I couldn't help.

cavedude
01-28-2007, 02:00 PM
There is something in npc_types that needs to be changed. I haven't had time to investigate what but I have determined the bug was caused by the mob being incorrectly parsed when it was converted from live logs to a sql. (I can only assume using EQBuilder) I have replaced many mobs with incorrect heads (the best are the backwards ones!) in PEQ with ones from my db. But as I said I haven't had time to figure out what the differences are.

eqfenam
01-28-2007, 03:46 PM
awesome... atleast it is a recognized issue... if a fix can be generated for it, I'd love to implement it into my db and pass it along
thanx guys

kovouau
02-18-2007, 05:23 PM
I know ... smack me for reviving an old post.... but did this ever get resolved?.

I was thinking that maybe it is just the helm textures that need to be corrected?

cavedude
02-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Yeah, just helm textures. I saw a bunch that were texture 31 which as far as I can tell is not a valid EQEmu texture.

Angelox
03-05-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm wondering if anyone solved this riddle yet? seems helmtexture is not working at least on the giants - I was playing with textures on the giants in permafrost; texture works fine, but helmtexture is what doesn't change. If you look into the sd3 file, you'll see all giant models are there (heads too), and you can can change texture to any type "old world" giant - just can't change the head.

cavedude
03-05-2007, 01:48 PM
This problem is even more tricky than previous thought... It's at least partially a client issue. A had looked through PEQ and found no weird heads anymore, I figured changing the helmtexture got them all. A player reported a funny head in Everfrost I think it was so I went to his position. Oddly enough, the player saw a cyclops head, and I saw the normal ice giant head. I was using the 0.6.2 client at the time, I haven't had a chance to go back with Titanium.

Angelox
03-05-2007, 02:01 PM
I figured it might have worked before with the older clients, as I couldn't find much on it - might actually be in the source looking in the wrong places for the textures that Titanium changed?

Willaena
03-05-2007, 02:27 PM
On PEQ this weekend I saw a hill giant with a cyclops head.

This is running titanium. I have not fired up the 6.2-compatible client to check the textures.

Willaena (Lynet on PEQ)

Angelox
03-05-2007, 02:34 PM
I haven't checked yet, but I'm betting Titanium clients only pose the cyclops heads on all textures, in any zone. I wished I saved my old 6.2 client for comparing, might have a back up somewhere.

Angelox
03-21-2007, 09:01 PM
I've been fooling around with older clients and this definitely is a "Titanium" client problem. Older 6x clients do not show these glitches.
I'll move this thread over to the bug-report areas, so the Devs might-can see it.
Edit;
As far as I've seen, this includes misplaced heads on giant models (Permafrost Ice Giant for one), and "twisted" heads on some npc's (Qeynos guards, erudite vendors, etc.)

cavedude
03-21-2007, 11:25 PM
I agree the misplaced heads seem to be a client only issue, however the twisted heads are indeed a helmtexture issue. When PEQ first sourced in POK it was loaded with twisted heads, visible using both 0.6.2 and Titanium. This was being caused by mobs with a helmtexture of 31 (why they were I have no idea, they were collected that way) I changed it to 0 or 1 and their heads appeared correctly on both clients. Now there of course may be other cases of twisted heads, but this method has corrected all I have seen on PEQ thus far.

So_1337
03-22-2007, 12:00 AM
Thanks, that's at least a place to start. I have some time here at work today, I'll play around with some of the ones I know for sure (Sand Giants with cyclops heads, old-model ogres in Oggok with twisted heads).

I'll post if that's indeed a fix.

So_1337
03-22-2007, 02:44 AM
No dice. No matter what body or helmtexture type you set the NPC to, the cyclops head stays in place.

Where are the helm textures stored? If it's in a file, is there a chance that Titanium just has a bad batch of them?

I'm completely new to all of this, so please forgive me if that's an ignorant question. Being a client-side problem, though, it seems like the fix would be somewhere with the client.

EDIT: What I mean is, Angelox confirmed that the textures are in the S3D file, but is it possible they could've been corrupted somehow? I've checked the helmtextures on both cyclops-headed giants and on twisted-headed ogres, and all the helm textures are as they should be.

cavedude
03-22-2007, 02:53 AM
I said the twisted heads, not the misplaced ones. We all agree that is a client issue, and it would have to be corrected in the Emu code though I seriously doubt it's a high priority.

So_1337
03-22-2007, 02:54 AM
Heh, sorry. You posted before I could edit to clarify what I meant.

EDIT: And another edit; I agree it's low on the priority list, but I figured I'd check into it since I saw this thread had been bumped today. Anything to break me away from the grind of fixing factions and loot tables on our server, I'll jump on. Anything to distract me from the work I should actually be doing here at my job, for that matter! =X

cavedude
03-22-2007, 03:03 AM
I suspect the client is fine, in that it isn't bugged or anything. Sony probably changed their helmtextures or something such for the DoD client (which is why newer NPCs are being collected with the previously thought to be invalid 31 texture) More than likely, they added some columns which we aren't accounting for. It makes sense more columns would allow for more detailed and varied mobs and this lines up with the fact that SOE is underway with a graphical overhaul. If I am correct, the solution would be to figure out what new information SOE has added, and add support for that to the code while trying to prevent breaking backwards compatibility.

Angelox
03-22-2007, 06:59 AM
I tried everything! I was changing texure settings, logging in and out for hours. I can tell you that on Titanium client, the setting for helmtexture in npc_types is unaffected by what ever number you put in. I was working with giant heads in permafrost and the twisted head on guards at Qeynos.
The only solution I found, was posted at the French-Froggy site , and what it did was convert the Titanium client to a choice of 6x clients.
Once 6x client was running, all heads were fixed, twisted and misplaced - I also checked the erudite banker in erudin which looked good too.

narcberry
03-22-2007, 07:45 AM
mispost, forgive the noob.

cavedude
03-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Then we have two twisted head issues... I saw them in POK with the 0.6.2 client. Changing the helmtexture did correct them for both clients in my case. In fact, the SoW bot I placed had a twisted head at first since I just copied him from another NPC in the zone. I changed the helmtexture and if you log and and see now it is no longer twisted.

So_1337
03-23-2007, 02:19 AM
Switching to the 6x client did indeed fix both the cyclops heads and the twisted heads. It's very possible that there's one twisted head issue to do with helmtextures and one to do with just the Titanium client, as you said.

cavedude
03-23-2007, 03:16 AM
The problem with using a backpatch is first it's illegal to host (and talking about it on these forums or in irc is forbidden), and secondly item links won't work with Titanium which I know would be a problem on PEQ when 80% of the population is using Titanium. Though, on the plus side no chance of eqgame.exe error ;)

Man, I was one of the last old timers to start using Titanium. I refuse to let go of my 0.6.2 client because I like the UI better. I never thought I'd be on Titanium's side!

My solution above is the only real solution. The new data SOE is sending the client needs to be indentifed and support for it has to be added to the EQEmu code.

Angelox
03-23-2007, 07:50 AM
Actually, my intentions here are to post a bug and describe it as best possible - with hopes that it might get fixed one day. I'm now sure what I posted is correct, because of all the experimenting i did with this.

ChaosSlayer
05-21-2007, 09:02 AM
i would like that in addition to Cycloc heads, there is issue with:

Panda/Cave Kodiak heads which both show head of a walrus man
Qeynos/Freeport guards have their helms twisted sideway

Would be nice if someone could also fix snow tiger tales..but i guess even sony never managed to fix those...

ChaosSlayer
05-26-2007, 06:40 AM
i have just discovered that new pumas found in DoN are HORIBLY mutalated.

They missing heads (no heads AT ALL!) and middle body part....

so its neck, front legs, back side and tail... thats all what remained... :shock:

moydock
06-12-2007, 06:24 AM
Ogre guards/vendors heads are also twisted to add to the list.