PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Compatibility?

Kayot
02-15-2007, 08:37 AM
Should I add in reverse compatibility with older Client DB layouts or simply support the newest builds?

Please leave a comment if you vote.

morganpartee
02-15-2007, 10:30 AM
yea kayot...i definately vote for reverse compat...because often, when people get eqemu to work, they dont touch it.
have fun!

Kayot
02-15-2007, 11:30 AM
I'm considering it as I ran a test run on the original database from PEQ and the program choked. It was easy to fix (Just updated the SQL to current build) but it left me wondering about this issue.

Amra
02-17-2007, 12:18 PM
I say yes if it's not hard to implement. If it can be implemented without major revamping and save development time then do it later.

The more people that can use your program the better.

Whatever is easier for you.

Kayot
02-18-2007, 03:03 AM
My program is on the verge of reaching 0.1.0. That means that all the forms will be in place (Minus the Script Writer and XML EQemu Mod) and I will begin serious work on debugging, design, and addition of new functions. One of those functions will be compatibility with older databases. What I will need for this is various databases. I need Angelox's and PEQ's new and older databases. And to top it off, I plan to make something called morph mode (For people like me who don't use a standard database) that will probe the database, figure out what isn't in the database and deactivate it in the program.

The whole point of this program is to be unobtrusive. I do not want it to modify the DB with additional tables (A bit of a hurdle for spell lists ^-^) and crappy setting that might break the DB. Also, besides some graphics (I'm working on a 7-zip idea, it will extract icons as needed and delete them when not, so far it is too slow to implement) you'll only need two DLL's and no external file configuration or DLL system merges. The way a program should be.

Edit : Wow, it's a split list, I'm gessing Others means Yes but not if it will take too long ^-^?

Kayot
03-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Ok, Reverse Compatibility is now on the project list. As such, this post is now unstickyed.