PDA

View Full Version : editing database files

cylocke
03-07-2007, 04:47 AM
Let me first say this before I get nuked into oblivion

I'm a complete novice at this, learning this very slowly
I'm tried to follow the instructions for the PEQ database editor but haven't gotten anywhere with it.
I'm using an AX database this much I've already figure out.
I'm trying first to set up starting zones and correct some starting items
I can see the database files
.frm
.myd
.myi
with the peticulars to what I need to edit, there's a file for starting items, starting zones ect.
I can't open them.
at present I lack the appropriate software to do this.
I'm probably asking questions that have undoubtedly been asked a billion times, but how are these things done.
I've skimmed over the forums looking for this information but none of it makes much sense to me right now, like I said, still learning how so alot of the terminology makes little to no sense to me.

I have cavedude's server installation, it's set to use AX database and mysql version 4.0.26 is installed (as well as a myriad of other program tools to edit things like tradeskills, quests items ect ect) but I'd like to get the framework for the server done from set one of character creation with the starting zone and starting items for my server, unless I'm putting the cart before the horse on this issue.

I'm sure most of you would probably say, just play on an existing server if I don't understand how to do this, but I'd like to learn how on my own minilogin server.

thanks in advanced for the patients while I learn this process.

kouhei
03-07-2007, 11:09 AM
If I understand your question right you want to edit your database. Best thing to do that with is MYSQL FRONT software. There is a couple other programs out there but I use mysql front since its easier for me to use.

GeorgeS
03-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Download the MySQL GUI Tools 5.0 and you're good to go. Free!

GeorgeS

cylocke
03-11-2007, 04:00 PM
thanks,
I had some other program only had like a 30 day trial worked ok, but I downloaded your suggested program, took me some time to get familiar with it, but got all the first step stuff the way I wanted it
(most notably that oversight where enchanters start with Weaken rather than shallow breath like thier supposed to)

I cleared out the spawn listing for Nexus, and edited all the player choice for starting zone and routed them all to start in Nexus, step one done.

now to figure out how to create NPC's

do I create them from scratch using the GM commands or copy them outside the game using your spawn editor program.
if ingame how are they saved to the DB?
the other confusion is how to set up merchants with specific items rather than copying an existant merchant.
other question is is there a way to make starter zone NPC's invulnerable or flag the zone as NO COMBAT, so that people aren't killing off starter NPC's as safe exp.

GeorgeS
03-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Ok that's alot of questions. I'll tackle a few

If you spawn NPC's in game, follow my tutorial at

http://www.wizardportal.shorturl.com/eqemu/spawning_tut/index.html (http://www.wizardportal.shorturl.com/eqemu/spawning_tut/index.html)

You can also use the npc editor and then spawn these using the tutorial - it's up to you. I do use my editor to create them and then spawn in game. I would modify spawns with the spawn editor as it can do things you cannot accomplish in-game.

If you don't want npc's getting attacked, then discourage attacks by making the NPC's summon and insta-kill the attacker.

You could also make a perl script that would summon 5 guards when a npc is attacked.

For creating merchants, use my editor. Create/edit/copy a NPC with my editor then change class to merchant (classid=41) then using the merchant editor,
add items to the merchant's sell list.

In the 3 zones that dissallow combat, their flag in zone table (cancombat=0)
Nexus,POK,POT. Just edit your zone field data so cancombat=0

GeorgeS