PDA

View Full Version : ax_classic database started

Angelox
03-09-2007, 12:10 AM
You can get it here;
http://eq.ismg.ch/mirkwood/news.php
This sort of puts me back on track and "leads" me to believe all my work on the old zones is not a waste of time.
More info is posted at my Web and on the Rathe Forums news.

dolanorn
03-09-2007, 07:20 AM
your link is not working! im very interested in your db ;)

Angelox
03-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Sorry, you have to be logged in at the forum in order to see the downloads. I thought maybe you could download with a direct link

sdabbs65
03-20-2007, 03:30 AM
You can get it here;
This sort of puts me back on track and "leads" me to believe all my work on the old zones is not a waste of time.
More info is posted at my Web and on the Rathe Forums news.

Hmmm how can it be classic if the boats don't work.
just wondering...

Angelox
03-20-2007, 07:07 AM
I'm working on all that - Just had to start somewhere

sdabbs65
03-21-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm working on all that - Just had to start somewhere

That sounds Great, you did a good job before and im looking forward to
seeing the results of your next project.

narcberry
03-22-2007, 07:53 AM
are you going to try and get the boats working as they origionally did, or is any solution worth exploring to you?

Angelox
03-22-2007, 09:31 AM
are you going to try and get the boats working as they origionally did, or is any solution worth exploring to you?
I want to get the boats work as they were during the pre-kunark days - Again, I think the problem is in the client, but this time, has no solution. It might be something like the "twisted head" problem, but I think the boats just got broken and SOE had no need to fix them so the left them like that.
I'm sure there's a client out there that has working boats, that's what I'm looking for , (so I can compare). Also I've got hope that Windcatcher and his Everquest client project comes through.
Right now there is a boat or two that works, but they are not the original, pre-Kunark/Kunark boats (Sirens Bane for one). To me, scenes in zones like Butcher and OOT, are not the same if they don't include the original artwork. I have something started, but needs finishing. If you'll notice in OOT , the boat sails true to it's original course there. I actually had that client-map file and was able to lay the grid out (oot is a gigantic zone), this is in peq, ax_peq and ax_classic.
I want to finish all this, but I'm pressed for time since I started working, and whatever time I have now is directed to the classic zones.

cavedude
03-23-2007, 03:37 AM
Your best bet is get a hold of a client and server that supported boats... I believe 0.4.4 did off the top of my head, though I could be wrong. Then, add support to the current EQEmu build for the 0.4.4 "a bit more classic" client. I am sure this is possible as 0.4.4 client is well documented and was imho the first version of EQEmu that was really becoming decently playable. This client used UI 2.0, so it isn't classic completely, though that is nothing a classic splash logo and UI can't take care of. You may want to ask FNW or Doodman what would be entailed in adding support for an older client. Of course, talk of this patch and where to find it would be strictly forbidden on these forums so keep that in mind.

As for Windcatcher's client... I don't want to say too much but it is indeed impressive. Just a cravat, out of the box Live zones will not be supported. A custom .dll will have to be written to allow those zones to work. This is done purely for legal reasons. Though, I am fairly certain Wind has done nothing to the client to prevent support, just isn't going to add it ;)

ArChron
04-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Angelox, thank you for the ax_classic series... this is the EQ of legend, before it turned into an electronic Monty Haul RPG. I swapped my home server over this past weekend, much to the dismay of my sons... but we now have a small band of Dwarves gingerly exploring Butcherblock. When it comes time to go elsewhere, and if the boats aren't quite right, I'll put in an NPC gate'er or two.

Thanks again for all your great work.

Angelox
04-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Angelox, thank you for the ax_classic series... this is the EQ of legend, before it turned into an electronic Monty Haul RPG. I swapped my home server over this past weekend, much to the dismay of my sons... but we now have a small band of Dwarves gingerly exploring Butcherblock. When it comes time to go elsewhere, and if the boats aren't quite right, I'll put in an NPC gate'er or two.

Thanks again for all your great work.

Thanks,
I don't think it will ever be just like the original Everquest we all once knew. For starters, we would need a client with the orginial GUI and some of the models included that are missing ( I think the original Sirens' Bane is one). I have talked to Windcatcher about a custom client , maybe one day ...
The old client didn't have all the added menus such as AA. Even if we do block its use, it will still be there as an eyesore. Actually, the original client/game was very simple and straight-foward, which made it more appealing to a wider range of player-types.
Anyway, I'm trying to bring back some of the old EQ feel, and maybe later on, include "classic compatible" expansions or expansions that don't require such a high chararacter level, and were made with the old zones in mind.
One good example is the LoY zones: just good, solid gameplay there where you can achieve success solo or with smal groups.