PDA

View Full Version : Plans

Kayot
04-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Plans for the future;

Add XML export/import - In Progress
- I've done some work on this, though it's lack luster at best. A big issue with this is ID's. If a profile or item is added to the db during a data migration that conflicts with a backed up item. This could cause a slow down as the user would have to manually enter each id for each item or player. I encountered this problem when I upgraded to the latest build of PEQ. All my custom NPCs had there ids and spawn points stolen.
Add full Spell support - In Progress
- The idea is that, dragging a spell scroll into any spell slot will turn it into a spell icon in either the book or memed slot. Spell icons can be dragged from and to the spell book to and from the mem slots and finnaly, from either the memed spells or spell book to inventory upon which it will convert into a spell scroll (if there is a spell scroll for that spell id). Also, the search engine will be able to search spells based on certain criteria. The only problem with this implementation is that I'd like to use the database to hold the spell information. I wonder if this would be an issue?
Add full scripting support - Stalled
- The problem with this implementation is that it requires the user to point the program at the quest directory. The question is, can the user be trusted to do this right or should the program attempt to auto find the directory to avoid confusion. And if the user can't be trusted, should they really be writting scripts to begin with?
Completion? - Still a far off dream
- I still have a lot to complete. Though I'm wondering how many people are using this program. If it's only like 3 or 4 I think I'm really doing way too much. Not to mention that it seems like some people like to use MySQL 4.0 which is incompatible with the program. And finally, EQemu hasn't had an update in almost a month. Maybe every one is losing steam?

Question for the users,

What would you like to see finished first?

XML Import/Export
Spell Support
Scripting Support
I use this program
Just finish whats already in the program

Give me you opinions when you vote, ^-^. Also, if you use this program please at least shout by hitting <I use this program> on the poll as I'm considering just finishing up what I have in the program, deleting all the in process coding and releasing it as a final. (At which time this section can be removed/moved from the board). I'm not emo, just board with the project and ready to quit. Besides school is getting tough.

P.S. Votes without comments are void. Only voters with 15 post+ will be counted.

morganpartee
04-20-2007, 01:57 PM
woot first post!

and i say spell editor, as i have only found one yet.

also, im considering upping to MySQL 5.1 just for your tool..but until then,

stay well!

uncommon
04-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Imo, you should finish what's in the tool already, properly tweak things then move on bigger things. And i agree the next big one is the spell editor.

Just a spell editor, something that parse the .txt files and return the values to a window (with tabs like item editor) for editing purpose.

Quest editor, for me, it doesn't matter. I'm still using notepad to write the quests and like it that way. But about your question, if the user was able to enter the correct info for the program to connect to the db they should be able to point to the quest directory correctly. ;)

And i use your program, everyday! Good job again.

samandhi
04-22-2007, 01:33 PM
I like this tool. It is very nice.. Good job... I would like to see the xml import export.. that would save a lot of time where that is concerned (provided one works a lot with xml).

techguy84
04-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Well, I just downloaded the program, and I am just awe struck by the detail in this. I know it must have taken alot of your time to make such a outstanding program Kayot. Personaly, and for the sake of a little peace of mind for yourself, why dont you finish what is currently there.

The reason for this, as I said peace of mind, is that if you are loosing steam yourself, you may only have a few more miles to go before you run out of gas. With a completed program that has all the features you have in there now, it is more than just a simple program, but a major accomplishment.

I think new features would be awsome, but I am in no posistion to make that sort of demand. I would like to see you be happy with what you have now. Version 1.0 as if it were. And if you ever want to add features down the road, you can simply offer a newer version, like

Kayot's Editor 2.0 - Now With Full Spell Support - NOW FOR ONLY -$29.95

With all the banners flashing and the red carpet roll out ect......

Never mind what I just said..... /em is getting a little too carried away.

But all in all, Do what makes Kayot happy, as Kayot is the main audience to Kayot. Ok Kayot!

Meanwhile, as I mentioned in the PM I sent you, I am going to incorporate your program into my guide. This guide is going to go over everything, as such, it will be a major want for anyone, players or server op's, so I imagine that it will be in the hands of many. I decide that when I was going to write this, to keep it simple, I was only going to refer to the most easy to use, best designed progam out there for DB editing, and I think yours it pretty much a shoo in. I will also reference GeorgeS tools, but with his being multiple tools and the need for that dang ODBC driver, I am only mentioning it. Yours I am going ot cover on how to use, features, screenies ect.... So long as you approve. I will even pull out the section and package it up if you wanted to added it to your program itself as a handbook or something.

Man, I got big big plans, now to follow through with them. See you guys in about 4 years or so, I should have it done by then...

cavedude
04-25-2007, 01:12 AM
Native Linux support! :P

Hahaha, I had to be the one who said it. Excellent work so far. My real vote is to finish what you have, that's always the best way to do anything.

Kayot
04-25-2007, 08:17 AM
^-^, ok, I'll focus on finishing the programs current features.

techguy84 - Feel free to do any sort of guide. I was working on a wiki (Wikimedia Style) but because the program changes so much I kind of let it go. ^-^ if you like, I could tell you about hidden short-cuts, loops, and other neat anomalies that few knows about. That would give your guide a ton of weight.

cavedude - You can use Mono and it will work in Linux. As for native support, I'm just not that good yet.

I'm going to finish up the features that are in the program already and add some better commands to the editors. I'm considering rewriting all the item editor code from the ground up because it's a mess and with all that I've learned, I can do better.