PDA

View Full Version : VB.NET Programmers

Kayot
05-18-2007, 06:12 AM
Are there any VB.Net Programmers on this board?

Dr Schlock
06-05-2007, 11:29 PM
*raises hand*

Amra
06-07-2007, 07:26 AM
I just started using 2005. But as of now I don't know crap. ;p Any plans to release the source?

Kayot
06-07-2007, 07:35 AM
Something a little bit more advanced than that. Wanna join an open source team?

GeorgeS
05-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Just to bring this old thread to current - I just installed the free version of vb.net 08 and am trying it out now. I will do some benchmarks and see how much better it is for what I do. Right now I'mm trying to figure out how you do mysql programing and how do you access the DB? (with a dll?)

GeorgeS
:D

GeorgeS
05-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Just tried the 08 version and the syntax to write and read text files is entirely different, and very hard. Is this something that's different in 08 over the 05 version? Can't believe it's that different. Might as well start learning VC++

GeorgeS

EvoZak
06-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Just tried the 08 version and the syntax to write and read text files is entirely different, and very hard. Is this something that's different in 08 over the 05 version? Can't believe it's that different. Might as well start learning VC++

GeorgeS

George, congratulations on picking up .Net!

Coming from VB you'll have a bit of a learning curve, but once you're past that you'll be good. MSFT has plenty of stuff out there to get you up to speed coming from VB.

As a side note, if you really don't want to leave VB6, isn't MSFT continuing support for the foreseeable future?

Good luck either way!

sesmar
06-16-2008, 08:00 PM

GeorgeS

Reading and writing files is not that hard and is done the same way in 08 as 05.

Writing to a simple text file is as easy as:

Dim oWriter As StreamWriter

oWriter = File.AppendText(Filename)
oWriter.WriteLine(Message)

oWriter.Close()

You will need to add:

Imports System.IO

to you the top of your file if it is not already there as well.

As for accessing MySql you will need to download the MySql.Net connector from http://www.mysql.com

This connector functions exactly like any ADO.Net connector so any tutorial on ADO.Net will give you how it works, you just need to change the varaible types to the appropriate MySql connector types such as:

MySqlDataReader
MySqlDataAdapter

as opposed to:

SqlDataReader
SqlDataAdapter

DataTables and DataSets are all the same whether you use MySql or any other DB.

GeorgeS
06-19-2008, 10:26 PM
I am using the 05 version since there are still non-depreciated commands. Over the next few weeks I'll dip deeper in the syntax, although in all honesty, I'm leaning towards C++

Does anyone have the mysql connection syntax (i.e an example)?

GeorgeS

Andrew80k
06-19-2008, 11:15 PM
I am using the 05 version since there are still non-depreciated commands. Over the next few weeks I'll dip deeper in the syntax, although in all honesty, I'm leaning towards C++

Does anyone have the mysql connection syntax (i.e an example)?

GeorgeS
Try here, George.

http://tangentsoft.net/mysql++/doc/html/refman
and
http://tangentsoft.net/mysql++/doc/html/userman/index.html

might at least get you started...

LordRathgil
06-20-2008, 06:20 AM
Actually, I think c#.net would be a better choice for database apps, I have had great success with it in the past and it is far far easier to work with as well.

sesmar
06-20-2008, 07:26 AM
I would recommend C# as well.

As for an example of how to use the MySql.Net Connector:

I have one posted here (http://drp.sesmar.net/forum/index.php?topic=371.0) using C#, if you would like something in VB.net I can convert it over; however, since they are both .Net the object structure and design is all the same only the syntax changes.

nosfentora
06-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Hey GeorgeS,

Once you have MySQL Connector.Net 5.1.6 (http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/net/5.1.html) installed,
add a reference to it (MySQL.Data)

Imports MySql.Data.MySqlClient
Public Class MyClass

Private mydb As New MySqlConnection()
Private con_str As String = ""
Private reader As MySqlDataReader

Public Sub New()
con_str = "server=SERVER_IP;Port=3306;user id=root;password=PASSWORD_HERE;database=DATABASE_N AME;persist security info=True"
mydb.ConnectionString = con_str

mydb.Open()

Dim sql_cmd as String = "SELECT * FROM variables"
Dim cmd As New MySqlCommand(sql_cmd, mydb)

reader = cmd.ExecuteReader
While reader.Read
For i As Integer = 0 To reader.FieldCount - 1
debug.WriteLine(reader.Item(i).ToString)
Next
End While
reader.Close()
reader = Nothing
mydb.Close()
mydb.Dispose()

End Sub
End Class

nosfentora
06-20-2008, 09:28 AM
I have a transactional database interface class that i wrote, that if you're comfortable with array lists, then it'll probably be a big help.

Kayot
06-20-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm really happy that theres posting going on in my little corner of the Forum, but since it's in regard to GeargeS's tools; could all posts for GeargeS please be placed in GeargeS's section. I'm sure that would make his day.

Also, C#, J#, and VB.net are all the same engine. Anything done in one can be done in the others so long as there is a library for that particular syntax. Other wise the programmer would need to make a wrapper class which is a pain and why I only have three 3D engines available.

As for C++, enjoy Windows API and long compile times. I use VB.net because it's easy for me to read (Though I wish I could use C#/C++ comment methods, /* */ is cool for block comment.) and all the .net compile at a sickinly fast pace.

nosfentora
06-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Sorry bout the lack of code block Kayot - thanks for the edit!

also - for quick commenting in VB.NET - highlight the section you want to comment then CTRL+K+C to comment a block and CTRL+K+U to uncomment a block.

Kayot
06-23-2008, 05:00 PM
I know, thats block commenting. But that just put the ' symbol in front of every selected line. I like how /* is at the start and */ is at the end.

nosfentora
06-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Ahhh - gotcha.

GeorgeS
06-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Regarding the C++ and .net I've given vb.net a solid look over and decided since it's a steep learning curve, I will no longer continue upgrading and consider VB6 the last vb style language for me. I have finally decided it's C++ for me and find it easier in some ways since I already know much of the syntax - just have not used it in some time. I'll stay with vb6 and pick up C++ again.

In that front, I've already added a C++ spawning utility for the latest emu version (1100+) that "talks" to my tools and creates grids etc.. It's in testing but I would have to create a diff for integration as custom code. I've added several new commands that really assist in spawning npc's along grids easier than what's already in place. I may just compile a new zone.exe and give that out along with my tools.

Anyway, just thought you'all would want to know..

GeorgeS