PDA

View Full Version : Error Compiling Quest File...

kedra
06-03-2007, 02:49 PM
I recently formatted my server. In trying to set everything back up, I encounter this error when a zone boots up:

WARNING: error compiling quest file quests/zone/npc.pl: Perl runtime error: Undefined subroutine &main:: eval_file called.

Any ideas what I forgot to do? :confused:

sfisque
06-04-2007, 03:49 AM
did you install/reinstall PERL on the machine. i ask because if you formatted the drive, then you'd have to reinstall PERL (assuming windows, since most linux distros auto include PERL in a default install).

== sfisque

kedra
06-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Yes. I reinstalled the latest version of Activeperl and installed the DBD, IO-stringy, and DBI-mysql packages (Though, these probably don't matter).

I've tried older versions of Activeperl and encountered the same problem.

I'm still very stumped here.

kedra
06-06-2007, 02:04 PM
After a fresh installation, why would running world.exe produce an error stating that perl58.dll was not found? Activeperl is installed correctly. This is only an issue on the game server (VPS), it works on my local installation.

Moving the dll to the emu directory does not solve this problem. :o

This is what is causing the problem. Any help is appreciated.

kedra
06-07-2007, 12:01 AM
I hope nobody ever has to deal with the same junk I'm putting up with...

Here was the problem / solution:

For some reason, after doing a correct / valid / whatever installation of all required components to run a server, world.exe was unable to locate perl58.dll (located in /perl/bin).

This is not an issue on my local server - only my virtual private server, which leads me to believe that the actual VPS was what caused this problem.

The only way that I have been able to fix this problem is to actually make perl/bin my eqemu ROOT directory. Talk about retarded.

Anyway, I tested it briefly last night and it seemed to work fine. I'm not thrilled about having to put up with such an ugly fix, so if anyone has a better solution, please let me know.

Darkonig
06-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Not quite sure what it is you are calling a 'Virtual Private Server' or how that relates to your local server.

kedra
06-07-2007, 03:56 AM
The Virtual Private server is not a dedicated server. It is a 'virtual' computer running as an application. It has a virtual hard disk, allotted memory, etc. The downside is less-than-desirable specs. The bright side is low costs for good bandwidth. This is where the actual game server is hosted (for the bandwidth, obviously).

My 'local server' is a headless serving running Windows Server 2003 where I mirror the VPS emu files. Great specs, but limited bandwidth, so it is not an ideal host.

The key is that both my local server and the VPS are running server 2003. Something is funky with the VPS - which isn't surprising.

Magefeu
12-11-2007, 06:35 AM
Hello,

Same problem and same resolution here ... wondering what is going wrong ...