PDA

View Full Version : Spawning people, creatures, ideas..

h37lion
06-10-2002, 04:18 PM
I'm sure I'm probably not the first to ask this question, and I've attempted to answer all of my questions myself to avoid annoying other people, and to teach myself better (i've become quite an adept quest writer/world builder this way)
but here is my question..

I know that in FQAdmin, you can add spawns via clicking on a point on the map (I've done this.. it takes forever to refresh the spawns/spawn types by zone list... Please do not get me wrong.. windcatcher has developed an extremely impressive tool, that I use very frequently.... but I can't help but think there are easier wysiwyg methods of populating our little worlds....

So, is it possible to create spawns while actually immersed in your world (logged in and playing) so you could actually manipulate the spawn in real time and see what you get as you do it (hence the wysiwyg)? I know it's possible to create spawns in real time(the way I'm explaining) but the spawn is temporary.. it dissapears when you reboot zone/server, etc...

Is this possible? I can't help but think I'm not alone on the thought when I say this would enable a much deeper potential in world building... I mean, immagine it... using one of my quest ideas as base for example: In rivervale (one of my favorite areas to play with concidering on all my accounts I ever had, I played halflings/druids), I'm creating an alternate 'aftermath of a great druid's war' where rivervale isn't entirely a safezone anymore... there are spawns that now add hatelist if you don't follow their way of thinking... there are now corrupt halfling guards... there is an evil dark elf wondering around ... um, somewhere (I see him on my track list.. but can't find him... im still working on pathing npcs... im thinking he's inside a wall somewhere!hah!)

anyway... what I'd like to ultimately do is visually create some spawns to make a sort of 'evil hideout guildhouse' in town, where you have evil halfling guards with gnomeskin-looking armor.. and dark helms (I can figure out the texturing and all... but I need to know how to make the #spawn command permanent.. placing spawns in exact locations facing the correct directions is extremely difficult and im struggling with the progress of my world ideas)

is this possible? has anyone figured this out somehow.. OR some easier way to quest write/create spawns for quests (without having to download over 10mb of datas ... 10mb on a dialup modem when you're already horribly impatient is just too much)?

Any help is very appreciated, and I'm always willing to assist anyone with quest/world building efforts, as I really am quite enjoying creating a new 'everquest', with a tinge of single player ability and a dash of everlasting quests for unique items never heard of.... respect of npcs just for completing certain quests... npcs that 'help' you finish other quests/protect you... offer you advice on money making (money system in my world is a bit different as well).

These are all very interesting ideas, and I have made a LOT of progress so far... and with a bit more help on this subject, I'll be ready to release something entirely unique to help assist other future quest writers/world builders. Enough said, I'm obviously manic to some degree with this project :D

Baltar
06-11-2002, 06:12 AM
dbspawn2 command allows you to do permanent in
game spawning. It is buggy but can be hacked to work.
One of the problems is that there is no fixedz column in
the spawn table.

type this to add the column:

alter table spawn2 add column fixedz int

It should temporarily fix it. You will still have to reboot your
zone to see the changes though. This ultimately defeats
the purpose of in game spawning.

I recently requested for a #recycle directive which the zone will reread all database data, but not sure when this will be implemented in the next release.

My technique is to #loc my position, create the npc type in FQAdmin,
and insert manually using either Mysql or mysql-front. If mysql
is not your thing i recoment mysql-front because it is almost
identical to FQadmin. DBspawn2 will also work after the table
modifications.

mudman
06-11-2002, 05:28 PM
only a couple days using it but i like to do a commit changes then repop the zone while standing in front of the mob.

I love your ideas for Riverdale. My dream is to have a tons of orcs continually repoping in W Freeport who are wrong faction to the all of W freeport so people can watch the war going on.

Mabye we can share ideas.

I use and irc channel for my server irc.trifocus.net room# defender. my server is Defender.

M.