PDA

View Full Version : Freebsd installation

aragon
08-07-2007, 02:34 AM
Can anyone please give me a hand to compile my server in Freebsd?

When I run make I get the following error:

make -C EMuShareMem
c++ -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -c MMFMutex.cpp
In file included from MMFMutex.cpp:1:
MMFMutex.h:19: error: redefinition of `union semun'
/usr/include/sys/sem.h:43: error: previous definition of `union semun'
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/eqemu/EQEmu-0.7.0-1025/EMuShareMem.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/eqemu/EQEmu-0.7.0-1025.

Thanks in advance

Teppen
08-09-2007, 07:54 AM
Yeah, you wont find much support. freebsd is Unix, and alot of things are not identical (where things are placed when you install your freebsd system) as it is in Linux. You would have to change certain paths and etc then recompile to actually get it to work with freebsd. AFAIK, FatherNitWit is the only person here I know that runs Eqemu under Unix. I guess you could try PM'ing him. You might be better off using Linux, since theres a forum for it.

Best wishes.

gernblan
09-01-2007, 07:04 AM
My suggestion is to try to edit your makefiles to be as relative as possible. Beyond that, I'm just not that familiar with FreeBSD, although I have been successful compiling eqemu under Solaris (although I choose Linux today, for me, it's simply the best choice).

amraist
11-07-2007, 05:49 AM
you'll want to install gmake from ports, and use it instead of make. There are other issues after that however. I've been able to compile libemu and world so far, but I'm having problems with world. zone doesn't compile yet, I'm getting perl reference errors. I imagine most these issues have to deal with recompiling mysql and perl(and anything else I'm not aware of) with linuxthreads, as fnw has said.

amraist
11-08-2007, 05:04 AM
I'm able to get everything compiled, but there are still a few issues I haven't worked out yet. The perl reference error was a because of a problem with the makefile. I found a few things in the makefile, that don't seem to be quite right.

amraist
11-12-2007, 01:51 AM
anybody know what this error means:[Error] LoadEMuShareMemDLL::Load() failed to attach Items.GetItem

narcberry
12-20-2007, 09:27 AM
I tried installing on FreeBSD, got through the errors in the OP only to find out I had to change how threading is handled. 1 hours later I had it installed and running on a fresh ubuntu install.

Wish I could be more helpful but I did find a walkthough somewhere to get it working on bsd, think it was in the wiki somewhere in one of those articles collecting cob-webs and old jive. But even after you get it working, you're still running unix and you'll have a harder time getting support than if you ran linux.

Bishop4351
12-21-2007, 12:38 AM
anybody know what this error means:[Error] LoadEMuShareMemDLL::Load() failed to attach Items.GetItem

Sounds like there might be a database connection issue.

I'd really recommend get used to this with a Linux server so you know how it'll work then try porting it over to BSD. I'm sure it's not impossible to run on the BSD platform it's just going to take a lot of custom work and a few libs that you may/maynot have.

Knowing how it worked before hand would provide you with a large degree of insight.

narcberry
12-21-2007, 04:21 AM
Well and you have to customize your BSD so much that it really should only be running your eqemu server. I guess I don't understand why, if it's your only service you care about, you don't run it on Linux like it was built for. Then your threads are running the way that programs expect and you don't paint yourself into a corner.

Still, more power to you if you want to run it on BSD, I just don't understand the practicality of it.

Bishop4351
12-21-2007, 05:10 AM
A lot of people really love BSD ( I personally don't) but if you're looking to setup a server and you've already got a BSD box online for say webhosting it'd be easy to add that to the mix.

narcberry
12-21-2007, 05:32 AM
I don't want to dampen anyones BSD spirits. I hope you are all successful using BSD, meet a hot BSD woman, and have little BSD babies.

A lot of people really love BSD ( I personally don't) but if you're looking to setup a server and you've already got a BSD box online for say webhosting it'd be easy to add that to the mix.

I love BSD. It is an awesome Unix distribution. But, that's the boat I was in and I found it much easier to move everything to a Ubuntu install than to get eqemu to work on BSD. I'd be interested in what Fathernitwit has to say about it. When I was trying to install on BSD and hit the threading wall, my research told me I had to adjust how threading was handled system-wide. Well, most of the processes I needed were installed and reliant on the threading I was currently using. So I not only would have to change threading for eqemu, but then go throughout my entire server and reconfigure every daemon using threads. It's like I had to linux-ify my unix box. I just don't get it. To avoid this, it only makes sense to use BSD if you are only running eqemu. But if you are only doing eqemu, why not use linux like it was designed for.

I guess I'm beating a dead horse, sorry guys. I just want to understand why people would do BSD + eqemu.

creiss
12-22-2007, 01:08 AM
Some months ago I contacted FNW about BSD compile. AFAIK you can not compile the source at it heavily relies on LINUX architecture and Linux MySQL stuff. There might have been a way around this, but so far, I was unable to do this. Heck, if I could get it working I had 16 spare Opteron BSD Servers ready to handle an EverQuest Server.

-Chris.