PDA

View Full Version : Linux Build (1035)

sfisque
08-29-2007, 10:19 AM
there is a bug in the makefile for ./zone in the 1035 (and possibly further back) build.

the culprit is a pair of "hard coded" references to mysql:

these two lines:

#MYSQL_FLAGS=-I/usr/include/mysql
#MYSQL_LIB=-L/usr/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient -lz -lcrypt -lnsl -lm -lc -lnss_files -lnss_dns -lresolv -lc -lnss_files -lnss_dns -lresolv

need to be replaced with:

MYSQL_FLAGS=$(shell mysql_config --cflags)
MYSQL_LIB=$(shell mysql_config --libs)

=sfisque

John Adams
08-30-2007, 09:34 PM
What's the effect of the bug though? And what flavor of Linux? Fairly certain FC4 has always worked using what is in the makefile. Enlighten me, please!

cavedude
08-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Aye, I can also add that Ubuntu and Gentoo compile with no issue using the default makefile.

Teppen
08-30-2007, 10:19 PM
FYI, seems to work just fine on debian, fedora7, and suse10.2.

sfisque
08-30-2007, 10:31 PM
you're all kidding right?

any references to mysql are supposed to be via the mysql_config executable, that way if someone say (like me) installs mysql in /usr/local/ rather than in /usr, they wont have to worry about hardcoded makefiles failing.

trust me. the modification should be made.

== sfisque

gernblan
08-31-2007, 12:26 PM
You are right, the mod is a much better solution.

Please post this in the code forum so that it (hopefully) gets committed.

gernblan
09-01-2007, 04:29 AM
...and yeah, while the default makefile will compile on a lot of distros, as far as I can tell, the suggested change makes it bulletproof.

cavedude
09-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Agreed. I didn't really pay attention to the original post. I apologize, sfisque.

And as long as we are talking makefile changes, -pg should be removed from zone and eqlaunch. It makes a huge difference with server load.

John Adams
09-02-2007, 01:38 AM
And as long as we are talking makefile changes, -pg should be removed from zone and eqlaunch. It makes a huge difference with server load.
While we're pitching changes, since eqexplorer and eqcollector are virtually useless, we could comment them out of the root Makefile so we don't get errors. As is the azone and spell_explorer. Unless that is just a failure on FC4 to compile those (could be, since I think it's the g++ that is erroring for me?)

But yes, I pull -pg out every build. It gets old, but I agree with that suggestion from eq4me almost a year ago.