PDA

View Full Version : NPC Tell System

sonicintuition
09-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Hello all,

I have devised a way to emulate the EQ2 NPC tell system in the Emulator. In EQ2, when a player hails a quest giving NPC, that NPC sends a "tell" to the player that triggered the quest. This eliminates tons of distracting spam in the chat boxes of surrounding players. It's a cool feature and I'd always wanted to be able to do that in EQ1 - and I've figured it out.

This is a sample script:

sub EVENT_SAY
{
if($text=~/hail/i)
{
$client->Message(5, "Npcname tells you, I just sent you a tell $name!")
}
}

Basically what is happening here, instead of the usual quest::say("text"), is that the server is sending a message to the player, using perl quest objects. The 5 is whatever color you want the text in the double quotes to be. 5 is purple (I think ..I'm colorblind), which looks a lot like standard tells. Of course, you could use any color you wanted, like gray, for example. Anyway this message is only sent to the client (hence $client) who hailed the NPC. Other players do not see it, thus eliminating tons of spam for other players. I should point out that using $mname to echo the NPC's name doesn't work - well, it does ..but instead of the name, you'll see "Sonic_Intuition000 tells you, ..." so it works better if you just type out the name in the script.

HINT: You can also use this for other things too, like "You have received a quest flag!"

I have tested this in several of my quests and this method works flawlessly. I find it to be a refreshing new change. I hope someone finds this useful.

Kind Regards,
Sonic

Teppen
09-11-2007, 03:05 PM
sweet!

I luv reducing quest spam