PDA

View Full Version : New problem Error 1017

Halamafx
09-08-2007, 04:08 AM
Errior 1017: Cannot login to the everquest server.. You may need to re-run the Update Patch. blah blah
My login server says this

69745 New client from ip: 127.0.0.1 port: 49592
Unknown packet: .14252696 [144.106.217.0:16->0.0.0.0:0
[OpCode 0x0003 (OP_Unknown) Size=11
00000: 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00

anyone got a clue?

Theeper
09-13-2007, 07:29 AM
Have you tried with your LAN IP, or a world routable IP and not the loopback IP ?

mosfet777
04-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Wow, that is the same error i have been getting.
Theeper, I don't understand the question you asked. how do I find out which i.p. I am using.
I am not connected to the internet, when I'm using my lan (different i.p.s)
so is there a seperate i.p. for my machines and my router?
I would appreciate it greatly, as I can play fine from the host machine, but that kinda defeats the purpose, right ?

trevius
04-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Click Start>Run and enter CMD into the "open:" field and click ok.

Then type "ipconfig" and hit enter. That will display the current IP of your PC. If you are running a router, the IP will most likely be something like 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101, etc. Add that to your config files and that should get you connected. Make sure you set your client PC to be configured to connect to your host/server PC's IP address.

mosfet777
04-06-2008, 10:59 PM
ok, I'm still not sure what your saying.
When Im on my wired lan my ip starts with 169....
only when im on the internet does it begin with 192
as far as add it to my configs, do you mean both?, and where?
Im sorry if these are dumb questions. :)

I don't know if this is relevant but i used the peq 4.0 installer on the host side.
also the host shows up in the server list after the error. it just doesnt let me connect.

trevius
04-06-2008, 11:34 PM
The 169 address is what windows assigns your PC automatically when it isn't connected to a network. Is DHCP enabled on your router? If you have multiple PCs in your house and they are all connected to a router, they should all be getting a 192.168 address. You can't connect to other PCs on your network if you don't have them connected together somehow...

You say "only when im on the internet does it begin with 192", but I don't know what you mean. Normally people who connect to the internet via a router will have an "always on" connection like DSL or Cable or even Satellite or Fiber. If you are disconnecting from the internet, normally that means you are on dial-up, and if you were, your IP address certainly shouldn't be 192.168.x.x.

What kind of internet do you have, and what kind of router? If you have cable or DSL, then you don't ever need to disconnect your connection. You need to explain your setup in much more detail for me to give any real advise.

mosfet777
04-06-2008, 11:55 PM
ok, sorry...
I have always on fios (dsl?) its wireless

I also have a wired lan. when im on the internet, the wired is disabled because wireless has firewall enabled.

when I use the wired lan, i disable the internet(wireless nic) and enable the standard(wired nic)
I have 4 machines configured this way so when the wired lan is enabled on all of the machines, the wireless is disabled (manually, i should point out) so we can have lan multiplayer without firewall, antivirus,etc.
if we are not on the wired lan, it is disabled, and the wireless is enabled along with firewall, antivirus, etc.
now when the wired lan is enabled, the only ip that I am aware of starts with 169...
but when the wireless is enabled its192.
It sounds like you know something thats wrong with my ip, so I hope this explains it better.

mosfet777
04-07-2008, 12:05 AM
oh, and the wired lan is on a 10/100 switch not a router, if that matters

trevius
04-07-2008, 12:40 AM
Wow... That is an interesting setup lol. Maybe you have certain reasons for doing it that way, so I won't confuse you by telling you how I would set it up. But I will say that your wireless network should NOT effect your internal LAN wireless connections. Since they are all on your LAN, there is no firewall that restricts internal connections. Unless you have a really weird wireless router/modem. There is no reason to have it setup the way you do, even for games or anything you do on your LAN.

The next question I have is; what do you use to connect your PCs on the wired lan? It sounds like you are just using a hub or hardware switch. If you were using a router, it should automatically assign an IP to all of your PCs. (I stopped in the middle of writing this reply, so I hadn't seen your post about running the harware switch yet, that was just a guess of mine)

Have you confirmed that all of your PCs can connect to each other on your wired LAN the way you have it setup? Can you share files and play LAN games that are hosted internally?

One thing you might want to do is set your wired NICs to have a static IP address, because obviously they are just making one up with the 169 address. You could configure EQ to run the mini login over a 169 address scheme, but since the IPs could be different each time you setup your wired LAN, it would mean you would have to reconfigure the mini login each time. I would recommend setting the wired LAN to static IPs like 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101 etc, so that that they each have their own different IP assigned to them. You can do this by right clicking on your LAN connection (where you normally disable it) and selecting "Properties". Then double click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Then select the radial (dot) for "Use the following IP address:" and type the IP address you want in the IP address box. If you hit tab, the subnet mask should be auto-populated with 255.255.255.0. Then I think you need to set the default gateway to the same IP address that you set in the IP address window, but it has been a long time since I setup a PC lan using only a hub. You may not need to mess with this configuration, but it should make your network easier to manage, and it should be easier for getting the mini login to work properly.

I haven't run the mini login for a while, but I believe you need to configure your eqhost.txt file in the everquest directory of every PC on your LAN that you want to allow to connect to the server to have the IP address of the server PC in it. Then, as long as you have created a login account for them, I think it should work.

mosfet777
04-07-2008, 01:22 AM
umm..ok, here goes.
1st the config im running is under xp with sp2, so unfortunately, it wants to firewall everything, even my simple switch.

2nd sharing files across the switch works fine as does file sharing.
so far each time i enable and disable the wired lan, the ip stays the same, and hasn't changed since we upgraded our internet a couple of weeks ago.
as far as swapping, thats just a couple of right-clicks to enable one, and disable the other.

that static ip on the wired nic sounds like a good idea. :)

3rd i set up accounts with mysql so username,pass,gmspeed,access,and ip are all in there, and the ip of my host machine is in my eqhost file.
however, i should point out that the installer created a user on the host machine that uses mini/mini as user and pass. its ip is ol'local 127.0.0.1 <-(thought i should mention here...i can play on the host machine just fine)
is it possible that it is causing a problem?

if your enterested in explaining it, I would like to hear what you have to say about an alternate system for my network, just keep in mind, xp doesnt let you have wireless lan (or any lan for that matter) with both restricted files and shared files at the same time.
and, finally thanks for the time your putting into helping me, as I know you have better things to do. :D

trevius
04-07-2008, 05:59 AM
First of all, I don't think it is possible to have 127.0.0.1 as your actual IP address on your PC. That IP space is reserved for broadcasting only if I recall correctly. So, you need to change it to something else or verify that is the actual IP address the PC is using. I don't think that is possible. Anytime you enter that IP to ping or as destination address, it thinks you are referencing the PC you are currently on (localhost) and no packets to that destination will leave that PC. So, basically it is impossible to host anything from that IP address. It is ok to have settings on the local host to use that IP, so the PC knows it is running on itself, but no outside PCs can use that IP address to get to it.

As for file sharing over a wireless network, I do so just fine on mine. Windows can be really picky about the file sharing settings. If you want something to make things simpler, just install the netbios protocol from the network properties window I explained how to get to in my previous post. Unless you are doing something special, I see no reason why you should have to switch from wireless to wired like that. I know I would find it super annoying lol.

mosfet777
04-07-2008, 12:20 PM
So the 127... ip could be a problem. the installer sets up a single account for play from the same pc that is hosting. it uses mini/mini as its name/pass.
it uses 127.0.0.1 as its ip in the account table.
I have seen a couple of threads that suggested a problem may be a result of this, and one said it was impossible to connect from another computer if this account existed.
I havent tried removing this account yet because i dont believe that cavedude would have made it that way without knowing about that kind of problem. I am thinking about assigning static ip's to the machines and redoing the ip's in the accounts, but I dont see how that would matter. the ip's set by windows don't change until I request another ip, so they are basically static. logically there should not be a problem unless the ip changes.
At this point Im going back and looking over everything that I have done, and trying(again)to see if there is a mistake that I have overlooked.
It seems that if I can see the server in the list, but I cant connect to it, then I must be close.
I honestly dont know what to look for, so Im going to check everything.
Have you played around with the new installer?

mosfet777
04-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Ok, so I tried changing two lines in the eqemu_config.xml
the first in the world section under "only modify these if you need to..."
so now intead of:
127.0.0.1 -server
127.0.0.1 -local

I have
(my ip) -server
127.0.0.1 - local

the other change is in loginserver
was <host> 127.0.0.1
now is <host> (my ip)
after making this change, when I try to connect, it says connecting to server, please wait... then it just stays hung there indefinitely.
so, Im going to try changing the mini/mini to a different (unique) ip and see what happens. :)

mosfet777
04-07-2008, 12:58 PM
RESOLVED.

It turns out that the mini/mini ip was the problem.
I changed it to another ip(I made up a unique but logical ip).
and applied the change in sql. ran the the server and connected with no problem.
So the other elements were apparently irrelevent (at least in this case)
I hope if someone else has this problem they find this thread.
trevius, thanks so much for your time, and I hope it wasn't a total waste :D