PDA

View Full Version : MiniLogin decompiled/cracked

Lalolyen
10-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Well I was told tonight that some of the software for the emu community wasn't quite open source. I explored that, and did find that the mini-login server is closed (pre-compiled), and upon decompiling it, there are parts that are "encoded", not encrypted as some thought.

The difference in the two is a true encryption involves 2 private keys, and 2 public keys, that exchange and overlay each other to make a true encryption that is almost unbreakable unless you happen to have one of the missing keys. For instance, when you send someone encrypted info, you are broadcasting your public key, the information is "sealed" with your PRIVATE key and the other user's PUBLIC key. Once this info is sent, the other user can only open it by using is private key and YOUR public key. These keys are NOT the same by far, and without one or the other, the encryption is virtually impossible to break.

Encoding is the act of using a hash, or a code, to scramble data, on the other side, if you have the "key" to this encoding, you can descramble it.

Encoding is usually broken in about 30 mins with a really strong 30 character key.

Well....

I have decoded it =)

Please do not ask me for the source right now. After I did decode it, I found out why they have it encoded.

The software is fairly simple, but the main thing they are hiding is their login servers authentication from server to server. Seriously... If you released that, there would be hackers galore right now eating up every server out there, creating SysOp accounts and booting everyone. YES you can control status from the login server though I did find an option in the source of emu to not honor status requests from the login server; I'm sorry but that needs to be on by default... IF I CAN CRACK IT, that means there are a lot of others that can as well.

This means if I give out the source, and the algorithm falls into the wrong hands, there will be a lot of sysop accounts on our servers, and sysops that have been demoted and banned. Not to mention our servers could be flooded (literally meaning 1000 account creations per minute to take down the server) to no avail.

Also, KLS... Is there an easier way to disable ls server requests for a status change? I saw several spots where the variable lsop then setstatus 250 or so... one that said if shonorLSop which I initialized a FALSE.

Lalolyen
10-06-2007, 07:13 PM
I must say..... And no offense to the dev team... But this is why you do NOT close source things...

When there is a hole or a problem or someone decompiles it...

Well lets say I was someone you pissed off a few years back... that wouldn't be a good thing at this point..

To clarify, that was an example lol, I'm not making any threats or insinuating anything... That lskey is safe as long as I'm the only one that has cracked it.

Secondly, and again, if it was open-source, the community, I, KLS, or the few hundred others here that are very active and intelligent could have provided you guys with a method of authenticating sessions, not just outright trusting an account creation based on a key received from the ls server (keep in minds I can "push" a packet anywhere i want and make it appear to be sent from George W's pc itself, that info is just modified packet headers and pushed packets... thats it.)

Being I'm probably just leaving a message on an answering machine here that won't get heard until another 4 or 5 months down the road... This situation is kinda of urgent, not to mention the other community members here that are strangled at the fact they cannot contribute or submit code because of "dev team" inactivity. *not complaining, just repeating*

Suggestion...

Change the usrmeth() , re-release eqemu, keep that to yourself, open up the login server, let the community do what communities do best... Build, create, and improve.

cofruben
10-06-2007, 08:40 PM
I really think you just gave a new objective to the hackers: "So it can be cracked in 30min... let's go for it!"

I think it's a good idea to report possible exploits, and I really think this is a good step (someone would do this anyday..), but this sort of stuff should be speaked directly with developers in order to avoid future problems...shouldn't it?

Lalolyen
10-06-2007, 09:12 PM
14 days in IRC... not one dev will respond...

We are talking serious 100% idling waiting for a response or something.

Lalolyen
10-06-2007, 11:21 PM
OMG, saw IRC chat, the msg to FNW was blinking...

A ONE LINER! he he..

FatherNitwit has quit (Ping timeout).

;)

** was a joke from another topic he he.

RangerDown
10-07-2007, 08:08 AM
From reading some of the assertions you've made, I feel you've got an entirely wrong idea of why the loginserver was closed source.

You say that it's to hide how the loginserver talks to the worldservers, and assert that it's so nobody would be aware that the LS had a way of asking a worldserver to let them in on GM-Mgmt level. But let's keep this in mind:
You CAN figure out how the LS talks to the worldservers.... and you can do that simply by examining the Worldserver's code, which IS public source. The existence of any isop() functions can be clearly seen in the worldserver's source if they are there (I haven't seen the code in recent months so I'm going to just assume what you say about the world code is correct).
The version of LS you're discussing is minilogin. The minilogin server was intended for small-group LAN play, the kind where you don't have trust and account security issues (or if you do, you're playing alongside some serious psycopaths... watch your back both in game and IRL)
On the public loginserver, even in the absence of an LSOP function (or even if it's disabled on your server), you still have to put some trust in the LSops, because when you think about it, I'm sure they could make the LS "say" that the account logging in is <insert the account name/LSID of the world server's owner here> if they really want to.
IMO this function could serve quite a useful "support" purpose in that the devs could, upon request, jump into a server without having to say "alright, give me status 200 so I can check out that problem of yours... yeah, you use the #flag command.... no, you have to give arguments to it.... no, not my character name, my account name! Umm, you use /who all to figure out somebody's account name... you've never used the /who all command?!... /camp"The login server is closed source for two major reasons. First, the original authors of it asked for it to be. Doesn't matter their reasons... if they say they don't want it distributed then, as lessees of their copyrighted LS software, we have to abide by their distribution terms. Second, if the crypto became public, SOE would play a big cat-and-mouse game where they're constantly changing login crypto just to make work for us.

make it appear to be sent from George W's pc itself,And every router in the world should instantly know to reject that packet as a fraud, because it couldn't come from George W's PC, because for his PC to send packets, he would have to know how to turn it on :D

Lalolyen
10-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Yes I was refering to the mini-login.

Are you saying that the two servers are near identical in construct?

And every router in the world should instantly know to reject that packet as a fraud

Thats not true, I think you've misintrepreted a firewall and a router. Home router that does 10 billion diffrent things and can only handle about 50 nodes regardless that the factory says 253, they are about as secure as Madona in a thong on a 30 day cruise on a Navy sub.

Routers are very simple pieces of electronics, pure router, meaning no DS1, DS3 etc termination, just routing only. They do not do what you said, and do IPSec, IP Filtering, etc.. They simply tell the "world" that a destination IP belongs in its netork(s), and tells the network(s) that their destinations belong outside the router (next hop).

I'll reprase, unless you are running a true firewall or Linux, you can make a packet appear to come from the IP address of GW.

number6
10-07-2007, 08:46 PM
This is a tangential question, so I apologise for the slight derail... but does this mean there could be any possibility of a linux version of the minilogin server at some point in the future? I don't like to use windows for serving anything, ever :)

Paul.

gernblan
10-07-2007, 10:03 PM
I really think you just gave a new objective to the hackers: "So it can be cracked in 30min... let's go for it!"

I think it's a good idea to report possible exploits, and I really think this is a good step (someone would do this anyday..), but this sort of stuff should be speaked directly with developers in order to avoid future problems...shouldn't it?

NO, because they don't listen any other way.

He did NOT say anything not already easily known by anyone with a brain and the right tools anyway.

This is absolutely the right way to go about this. I support him because he is RIGHT. Open this stuff up so that once and for all the community can fix this stuff and harden it up.

..and if the problem is that part of the code is SoE code (heaven forbid) then fine... let's find a workaround or a clean room emulation of it.

gernblan
10-07-2007, 10:07 PM
The login server is closed source for two major reasons. First, the original authors of it asked for it to be. Doesn't matter their reasons... if they say they don't want it distributed then, as lessees of their copyrighted LS software, we have to abide by their distribution terms. Second, if the crypto became public, SOE would play a big cat-and-mouse game where they're constantly changing login crypto just to make work for us.

1) NO, it was originally released as GPL, they can't just change their minds once they do that. Sure, they can release future version closed source, Mozilla license, hell use the Microsoft EULA for all I care but the code up to the POINT it was closed again should be available.

2) If the crypto became public it would make no difference because we're not patching our client versions. There's no way to change the crypto without changing the client. Sorry not trying to be rude but you do not know what you're talking about.

Angelox
10-07-2007, 10:08 PM
This is a tangential question, so I apologise for the slight derail... but does this mean there could be any possibility of a linux version of the minilogin server at some point in the future? I don't like to use windows for serving anything, ever :)
Paul.

Probably no, at least for now.
But you can use minilogin with wine under Linux fine - This is what I always have used with no problems. In fact, it works better for me under Linux, as clients don't hang like they used to under windows.
You should probably make it something to do for your friends and people you know, as you can see people are already bragging about how they can hack into it, and shouldn't be long before this starts.

mattmeck
10-07-2007, 10:34 PM
1) NO, it was originally released as GPL, they can't just change their minds once they do that. Sure, they can release future version closed source, Mozilla license, hell use the Microsoft EULA for all I care but the code up to the POINT it was closed again should be available.

2) If the crypto became public it would make no difference because we're not patching our client versions. There's no way to change the crypto without changing the client. Sorry not trying to be rude but you do not know what you're talking about.

1) It is the crypto that was closed source, both for minilogin and for the regular login server. The crypto in the wrong hands would be a very bad thing, for us and for live servers. Keeping it closed source protects everyone who uses EQEmu and keeps SOE off our backs.

2) plain and simple, the people who coded them dont want the source handed out, they have the right to request that and the Dev team is respecting it. Its been said in the past that anyone is free to code a new one and have it open source, however there is no point arguing over what is there currently, it will not change.

Lalolyen
10-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Matt, just for clairification, crypto is the use really of two keys or a cypher (meaning the use of varable keys). to encrypt/encode something, what the program is using really is a simple encoding process.

About SoE, don't worry about them, or leave them to me. You shouldn't have any issues with SoE while I'm around not unless the LS program has ummm... commideered code from SoE which it didn't appear to have.

Matt I understand the person whom coded it didn't want the source handed out, I know why, dispite what a prior dev had to say, that or either the person was really selfish for some reason, but I tend to believe the other side of it.

Also, if you open source everything we have here, stick the GNU licensing on it (upgrade to version 3 as soon as it comes out btw!!!) you WILL NOT, I repeat WILL NOT have any issues with SoE. If they did try and cause problem, you can count on the attournies of the Free Software Foundation (GNU) to help out, as they hate proprietary corporations whom horde code and try and extinguish those whome compete and create simular code (not to mention their new license addresses code patenents thanks to Microshit).

techguy84
10-08-2007, 01:47 PM
About SoE, don't worry about them, or leave them to me. You shouldn't have any issues with SoE while I'm around not unless the LS program has ummm... commideered code from SoE which it didn't appear to have.

Pardon me while I try not to laugh.... *cough HA *cough

What makes you so special.... just curious?

If it involves the, "They cant do anything cause were breaking no laws" your right. But heres the thing about SOE. There a big company, and big companies can put a whole world of unnessecary hurt on small communities like us. They can drive us to lose lots of things just to put up a defense against them. Most would not be willing to bankrupt themselves and lose thier house just to at least get a lawyer that would work with them in court. And without proper defense and a deep knowledge of the law, whether your in the right or the wrong, your still going to lose cause you have no idea what your doing.

Its just flat out not worth it, tempting fate that is.

Edgar1898
10-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Heh, I really doubt that you were able to decompile my program. I have yet to find a decompiler that can decompile an exe and produce anything but useless garbage from it. Even a program as small and simple as minilogin. If you really have somehow decompiled it, send me a portion of the source code. I have the source code so dont worry about sharing it with me.

Lalolyen
10-08-2007, 06:38 PM
What makes you so special

My past employment with SoE maybe...

If you really have somehow decompiled it, send me a portion of the source code.

Done... Check your pms.

Lalolyen
10-08-2007, 06:50 PM
I took the liberty of also including the MD5 hash and opticodes.

I wouldn't let that message linger in your inbox, because if someone gets a hold of that hash, you're screwed (I'm sure the db for these forums are in plain text =) )

John Adams
10-09-2007, 01:33 AM
I find it pretty ridiculous to post a new thread that you cracked minilogin, just to say "don't ask because I am keeping it a secret now", sprinkled with passive-aggressive threats that someone better start talking to you on IRC - or else.

I just wish the EQ client was as easy to work with as WoW, so when a patch comes out it doesn't break everything. Might eliminate the 201 excuses why EQEmu is stuck 5 years in the past. Has nothing to do with minilogin, that's for sure.

Edgar1898
10-09-2007, 10:24 AM
I'll try to not turn this into a flame, but I would like to point out that the list of opcodes (not opticodes) that you sent me is located in opcodes.conf and even a third grader without l33t hacking skills could get that list by simply opening the file that is included in the minilogin zip.

Next is that doomsday md5 hash that will destroy the world if it fell into the wrong hands. I'm not really sure where you got that, but such a devasting flaw in the fabric of space time does not exist. Minilogin doesnt do anything magical and as pointed out earlier, you can already see what login sends to world and vice versa by viewing the world source code.

Now about the decompiled source code that you sent me. If you are an expert in assembly and can create something useful from that mess go right ahead. That "source" code, looks nothing like the real source code and the likelihood of someone being able to turn it into something more useful while at the same time not be able to create their own login server is extremely remote.

10-09-2007, 10:37 AM
I have no idea what Lalolyen is referring to since the minilogin has never had encryption, but this post is getting interesting.. *pulls out some popcorn*

devn00b
10-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Whatever you have, or think you have, is nothing.

The mini-login isnt compiled with the crypto in it, doesnt use crypto, never has. So not sure what you think you have.

There have been much better coders/crackers than you (Daeken comes to mind) that have tried and failed. Hell I even supplied him with the compiled crypto!

I'm not sure what your trying to accomplish except looking at code that has been freely available before, because, as has been said the crypto isnt compiled with mini-login you aren't seeing any of its functions and so are missing the very thing you need to make it work.

There has been several "leaks" of the loginserver with the crypto. Hogie, Lyenu, even myself have released either code, or compiled bits. Would figure if it could have been done by the general populous, it would have already.

Doodman
10-09-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure what you thing you found, but it's no what you think.
1) Minilogin has never had encryption in it. Never.
2) World -> LS is not encrypted, encoded or scrambled. The protocol is easily deciphered as the source to that is (obviously) in world and distributed as source.

That said, the crypto in the current public loginserver (i.e. not minilogin) was cracked a long time back by me. I'm sure others have cracked it, since there are many people in the world that are smarter than me.

There is the older loginserver floating around (Hmm, wonder how that got loose? :-) ), it is is the older protocol and the crypto is not different.

I'll not say anymore about the crypto.

If you'd like to share with me what you think you've found, we can discuss it. Who knows, maybe you'll find something useful somwhere.

Doodman
10-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Just a follow up.

What I am about to say is not a flame, jest or a cut. So, please take it as a compliment, as I have intended.

I do commend you. Decompiling and decoding code like that does take a great amount of skill to do. Even though I don't think you found what you think you did, it does show you have skills and determination.

Keep on hacking, but instead you'd serve the community better on pointing those skills and determination at eqgame.exe and not MiniLogin.exe

Take care.

Lalolyen
10-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Oh well, if I've found nothing you'll have no problems or quams with me posting it in publich then eh?

Lalolyen
10-09-2007, 01:41 PM
http://cp.divinereapers.org/~dleqemu/dls/comment.php?dlid=7&ENGINEsessID=a8a1626fb62019c6f83045c69f71d647

There it is everyone =)

I have also taken the liberty of stripping the encoded parts and have assymbled most of it.

Some of you will need some knowledge of cpp to actually document it and the sources.

When you decompile something there is a lot of varables that are "inserted" and thus there may be some trash, but that source is actually a very complete source and unkile Edgar said, you can make something out of it, very easy when you start defining your own varables.

Now as to address this rubbish:

I find it pretty ridiculous to post a new thread that you cracked minilogin, just to say "don't ask because I am keeping it a secret now", sprinkled with passive-aggressive threats that someone better start talking to you on IRC - or else.

I just wish the EQ client was as easy to work with as WoW, so when a patch comes out it doesn't break everything. Might eliminate the 201 excuses why EQEmu is stuck 5 years in the past. Has nothing to do with minilogin, that's for sure.

Not at all, I found it really rediculious that you came here and immediately judged someone like that without reading the full story or not even haging out in or reading IRC for the past 2 weeks.

Lets further address that. As you just said that I just noticed that thread was deleted and with the posts of the community flaming Doodman, and the other devs for not comming to the forums and talking or not responding in IRC.

In the USA this is called Supression of Free Speach. See where I'm going with this hawse?

Lalolyen
10-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Now, being you have said, it, review all of my posts, ALL OF THEM, and you post the FIRST threat here.

You'll be hard pressed to do so, because this thread was designed to be constructed, despite your slanderous claims.

@Doodman: I just took the liberty of posting the sources =)

Furrygamer
10-09-2007, 01:59 PM
was is it that first it is "part was encoded because the maker wanted it closed source" then later in the thread it is "it is fully open, none was encoded or scrambled". It seems like contradiction of information. Add in a dev actually posted to discredit the person inside a thread, and of course add in most people doing the discredit of information is former devs that seem to all get together to try this maneuver. It seems like he is onto something, they don't like it, so they are making his reputation become horrible. Also note his thread about a download engine was deleted for no reason that has been mentioned. Seems like the devs do not like it when they are called on their actual actions instead of the ones they wish were true. You cannot say "I am a developer of a community" if you do not help the community. all I ever see on these forums now seem to be like watching the X-files. You have to find the truth, because the truth that is being said by the dev team is usually said to cover their butt. The truth is out there, and we have proof.

Lalolyen
10-09-2007, 02:04 PM
FYI

if ($thisvar =! $thatvar)
return $result

if ($varafterdecompile =! $varafterdecompile2)
return $resultafterdecompile

Is the same thing...

Angelox
10-09-2007, 02:14 PM

:shock: SOE!
I'm curious; what did you do there and why did you leave? :wink:

Lalolyen
10-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Network security officer.

Leaving: Pay Pay Pay Pay.

2 years ago, you probabley read, SoE fired about 200 employee's from their LA office. Thankfully I didn't get the boot, but their attitude after that, "Want a promotion or a raise? Go find somewhere else". So I did just that. Asside from that I was home sick too which played a big role in it =P.

I'm from NC, We were *planning* on settling down with my wife's family in CA... But there are just way too many fruits and nuts out there man.

Secrets
10-09-2007, 02:25 PM
/* This file was automatically created by
* Reverse Engineering Compiler
*/

Oh come on, at least use IDA Pro when you use a program to extract ASM.

techguy84
10-09-2007, 02:28 PM

Network security officer

OMG No way. You are like the coolest person ever. SOE better watch thier backs now....

/end sarcasm

Doodman
10-09-2007, 02:29 PM
First of all, I was trying to be a gentleman about it and tried to compliment you on the skills that you have. But, I see you those compliments are beneath you as you refuse to accept them.

Comments on the source you provided:
1) What I see in that code is basically a assembly dump (in C form) of the code. The only place there is any thing useful, is where you find the raw strings being pushed onto the stack before function calls:
(save)"============================";
(save)4492544;
L0040381F(L004031EC());
2) What you posted hardly qualifies as "decoded" in my eyes, it is not much more useful (if at all) than the raw assembly from a disassembler.
3) Nor does it come close to compiling (at least on Linux). It produces 2235 lines of errors/warnings during compile.

Good luck in your endeavors. But, honestly, if you wanted to recreate MiniLogin source, starting from a decompilation of the .exe is not where I'd start. The protocol is not exactly hard to figure out. Plus, if you'd look at a tcpdump of the interaction, you'd easily see that it is not "encoded" whatsoever.

Lalolyen
10-09-2007, 02:31 PM
/* This file was automatically created by
* Reverse Engineering Compiler
*/

Oh come on, at least use IDA Pro when you use a program to extract ASM.

No... That just made sense of the unpacking =)

You are like the coolest person ever. SOE better watch thier backs now....

If I had access to your most sensitive information, you infrastructure, your venerabilities, if it were all worth more than about 5 million dollars, I bet I could say the same about you too =)

3) Nor does it come close to compiling (at least on Linux). It produces 2235 lines of errors/warnings during compile.

Thats a little higher up than just a disassemble to be honest...

The only thing that needs to be done to make it work, is to do the ass-numbingly boring part of creating a bunch of files according file mapper, (you know the .h files) and splitting that .cpp file down into separate files putting the correct calls in the right file names (like 0023DFRsomerediculious.name)

Secrets
10-09-2007, 02:36 PM
No... That just made sense of the unpacking =)

I kind of doubt it when a quick google search can produce the same code you posted.

Reverse Engineering Decompiler (http://www.backerstreet.com/rec/rec.htm)

Also, that doesn't compile. It just doesn't. It produces a C-like code, so you know what's going on when reverse engineering. If you really wanna get the source code, watch packets with Wireshark, dump the packets, create a program which can interpret the packets, because as doodman said, they arn't encrypted.

Simple as that, you need to code from ground up. If you wanna do that? Good for you, just respect other's wishes. I hate when people think they are badass over the internet, especially admins/sysops, because chances are they arn't trustworthy.

Furrygamer
10-09-2007, 02:36 PM
I don't see how this explains deleting an entire thread that would have benefited the community greatly.

Lalolyen
10-09-2007, 02:38 PM
I kind of doubt it when a quick google search can produce the same code you posted.

Reverse Engineering Decompiler (http://www.backerstreet.com/rec/rec.htm)

Also, that doesn't compile. It just doesn't. It produces a C-like code, so you know what's going on when reverse engineering. If you really wanna get the source code, watch packets with Wireshark, dump the packets, create a program which can interpret the packets, because as doodman said, they arn't encrypted.

You do know there is no "one" decompiler for cpp right? =S

The communications I agree is very open going to the login server. However just sniffing the signals and interpretors will not give you enough info to reconstruct the mini-login server as *caugh* the server gives different responses to some of the same things indicating some kind of custom hand-shake.

Secrets
10-09-2007, 02:40 PM
You do know there is no "one" decompiler for cpp right? =S

I'm aware of that; It's just silly to go about this way.

You're threatening a community with a google search, pretty much.

Lalolyen
10-09-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm aware of that; It's just silly to go about this way.

You're threatening a community with a google search, pretty much.

No... Most of the decompilers out there are searchable on Google, but this program does NOT decompile like you said.

Like you reiterated I said, it does make sense of the code after the disassemble.

Again find the threat, or are you one of those gullible and mentally challenged ones that easily falls to one word of slander?

techguy84
10-09-2007, 02:43 PM
If I had access to your most sensitive information, you infrastructure, your venerabilities, if it were all worth more than about 5 million dollars, I bet I could say the same about you too =)

Well, for some odd reason, I just forsee you as no real threat to SOE. I really dont think you could cause them lots of suffering with your knowledge of thier networks. You said officer right, not administrator....

Furthermore, if your so knowledgable about thier networks, why in the world would you be decomiling the mini-login of all things, and then talking about how its going to cripple servers if someone else with bad intentions did the same thing. Do you understand that there is a different type of crypto on the LS, as well (you should know) on SOE servers. Now sure, the super cool hacker could come in and cause havok on my little 1 person minilogin. Im really worried about some major security breach like that happening.

Lalolyen
10-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Well, for some odd reason, I just forsee you as no real threat to SOE. I really dont think you could cause them lots of suffering with your knowledge of thier networks. You said officer right, not administrator....

Furthermore, if your so knowledgable about thier networks, why in the world would you be decomiling the mini-login of all things, and then talking about how its going to cripple servers if someone else with bad intentions did the same thing. Do you understand that there is a different type of crypto on the LS, as well (you should know) on SOE servers. Now sure, the super cool hacker could come in and cause havok on my little 1 person minilogin. Im really worried about some major security breach like that happening.

I never claimed to know that part of their code.

There are some things they horde very closely, things that only 4 people in this world know lol... Their login server and game server mechanics are one of them. I never had access to that code sadly.

But am I a threat? I very well could be -or- lets say, I have the potential to be.

A grand-daddy long-legs is hardly a threat to us, your kids play with them, however if their fangs were 1 mm loger they would be the greatest threat to man kind.

Get me a pc worthy of breaking 1mbit encryption and I'll be come one of the greatest threats to SoE... And the US Government for that matter. Hell everyone for that matter... lol someone able to break that kind of encryption, thats even scary to me, but I think the hint is quite clear.

RangerDown
10-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Yes I was refering to the mini-login.

Are you saying that the two servers are near identical in construct?

Not really. See image's post.

Thats not true, I think you've misintrepreted a firewall and a router. Home router that does 10 billion diffrent things and can only handle about 50 nodes regardless that the factory says 253, they are about as secure as Madona in a thong on a 30 day cruise on a Navy sub.

Routers are very simple pieces of electronics, <blah blah blah blah>1) Most routers (that cost more than the $5 ones from wal mart) are capable of doing at least basic packet filtering. So, I stand by my previous statement that any router should reject the packet.

2) It was humor. Lighten the **** up.

3) If the things I've heard about Navy sailors on subs are true... Madonna should feel perfectly secure on their sub (yes, even in a thong)

4) Any Navy sailors IRL that just got offended by #3... see #2

Secrets
10-09-2007, 02:48 PM
No... Most of the decompilers out there are searchable on Google, but this program does NOT decompile like you said.

Like you reiterated I said, it does make sense of the code after the disassemble.

As for it being decompiled, yeah, it is able to be decompiled. No question about that. What was the dev team supposed to do, asprotect it in 2000?

My point being, you posted something anyone can access, not an actual workable source. Hence it being the fabled decompiled minilogin, not the minilogin source.

If you want to impress us, don't try and reverse engineer minilogin, play by the rules and just help out on the project, and use that skill to progress the emulator. Surely there's some functions still to be found in eqgame, right?

Lalolyen
10-09-2007, 02:54 PM
LOL @ RangerDown no, they don't forcefeed saltpeter any more =P That was made illegal by the UCMJ about 10 years ago.

If you want to impress us, don't try and reverse engineer minilogin, play by the rules and just help out on the project, and use that skill to progress the emulator. Surely there's some functions still to be found in eqgame, right?

The objective was not to impress, it was an attempt to "open source" the entire project with little effort.

I do not have the time or patience any more to construct a cpp program from ground up. I can look at the code and figure out a mistake or bug fix, ask KLS, but I'm simply not patient enough any more to sit and code from ground up... IF someone wants to sniff those packets and figure out what's going on, and assimilate that, go for it... However I must say I'm a big non-supporter of emulating and emulator of a program.

Lalolyen
10-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Now, here is the point...
1) The source has been cracked.
2) I was told it could not be done by several people
3) The code IS VERY intelleagable after being told it was impossible.
4) I was told I found "Nothing", so the "nothing" of a source of what was cracked was posted for any with intermediate cpp backgrounds to have a hay-day with being its "nothing" and being I don't have the patients to do it =).

Furrygamer
10-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Still waiting to see the talk about the deleted thread.

On a side note, I do find it pretty funny that when someone needs a dev they are not around, till someone challenges their power. When this happens an ambush of current and previous dev team members come and join in the fight. You say you have nothing to hide, your actions are saying we just stumbled on eqemu's area 51 and we have our photo proof of the aliens. If I could do anything to you now, I would give you a dishonorable discharge.

devn00b
10-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Errr im not sure about this deleted thread, i didnt see it, didnt read it. But i do lurk here every now and again. Anyone that knows me knows im anti the current dev teams way of doing it. So please leave me out of yer area 51 paranoid bullshit

Lalolyen
10-09-2007, 03:47 PM
*NOTE THIS IS A COMPILATION OF TESTIMONY FROM OTHER COMMUNITY MEMBERS AND MY OWN OPINION*

devn00b, you may agree to this then.

For a very long time now, the life's blood of this community has been siphoned away by the "power" of the dev team.

The community has been longing for an "escape" from this nightmare much like the subjects of a tyrant long for freedom.

This power comes from the fact that the mini-login is closed source and dangled over the communities head like a piece of meat being dangled over a pack of starving dogs' heads.

Someone asked why I don't program anything from the ground up, its the stigma behind it. Who would I be doing the work for? The community? I personally feel the work would be for the "tyrants" of the project not for the community itself.

Why do I feel this way? Again; its the stigma behind having an open source project completely dependent on a closed source/PROPRIETARY program.

Now here is the part I find odd, aside from my topic to help the community being deleted (a file hosting site for mirroring). At the first challenge to this "power" every Developer that has been completely inactive in the project, non-responsive to most in IRC, the forums, and everywhere else suddenly comes alive and ready to defend their "power" to the "T".

So when this is "decompiled" and "decoded" the final result is there is a team that reigns over the community that does not want to give up their power in the project or pass the torch. <== That == Tyranny.

Lalolyen
10-09-2007, 03:53 PM
To the community: I am a very pro-choice person, and one thing I believe heavily in is the first amendment. So to that and from my military history I have a saying I have come up with, "I may not like what you say, but I'll defend your right say it with my life". This is very unlike whom ever deleted that post in which I think was one of the most useful contributions to the community in a long time.

Angelox
10-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Still waiting to see the talk about the deleted thread.

If you are refering to Kayot's Sourceforge Address post that was de-railed, then that was me. Anyone who reads/knows forum rules will know and understand why I did it.
But since you keep bringing it up, I'll tell you why I deleted the posts;
1 - Mr Lalolyen was Microsoft Bashing and we don't bash MS or Linux or anyone here.
2 - This MS bashing was de-railing the thread.

So now , you can turn your flame towards me and test my patience, see how much I can take.

BTW, this thread is starting to rot even more, you're starting to flame - so go back and read the forum rules before you continue

Lalolyen
10-09-2007, 03:57 PM
If you are refering to Kayot's Sourceforge Address post that was de-railed, then that was me. Anyone who reads/knows forum rules will know and understand why I did it.
But since you keep bringing it up, I'll tell you why I deleted the posts;
1 - Mr Lalolyen was Microsoft Bashing and we don't bash MS or Linux or anyone here.
2 - This MS bashing was de-railing the thread.

So now , you can turn your flame towards me and test my patience, see how much I can take.

BTW, this thread is starting to rot even more, you're starting to flame - so go back and read the forum rules before you continue

No. That is understandable Angelox... He he I hate MS and tend to get very passionate about it =P.

What he was referring to is what I'm referring to... The Mirroring / download's thread.

It was a very constructive thread, that I even PM'ed you about and said I didn't mean for it to turn into a dev bashing thread, which I had no real control over and I, myself, was blind-sided on it. However and again, I did support their rights to say it.

redneckraccoon
10-09-2007, 03:59 PM
WOW! We have rules?

Furrygamer
10-09-2007, 04:00 PM
I was talking about the thread inside general about the download engine with mirrors. you know the one he was trying to make to help the server always be able to find its programs that keep having broken urls?

Lalolyen
10-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Angelox, its not that a few posts that derailed that topic was deleted. The entire thread was deleted, clearly suppressing that contribution and functionality from the community and other contributions mentioned therein as well.

Angelox
10-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Well, can you blame them for deleting it? If it was a good idea or not, the way you stuffed it in their face, just piss them off < I've been there, done that :smile: I know of a Dev or two that won't talk to me either, but I understand this is my fault and I have to live with the consequences.
It's all in the presentation.

Anyways, you all got your point across, and I'm shutting this thread down (Mr redneckraccoon is right).
I really wish we could do more constructive things, like fixes to the code, database, quests, Tutor new users -

No more of this please - if you want more, you can take it to the irc channels

mattmeck
10-10-2007, 08:10 AM
I deleted the thread in question, it turned away from being good for the community and into another bash fest.

As to the comments about the US and free speech, think again!! This is the internet, this is EQemu land and the only rights you have here are the ones the admin and devs say you can have.

When its talk of how to fix stuff and whats wrong I will allow it and make others allow it, when its bashing for the sake of bashing I will not allow it!

Mattmeck
Forum Dominator
EQEmu Land