PDA

View Full Version : My Quest Editor

Grundy
11-09-2007, 03:18 PM
ok so im trying to make my own quest editor, so far what i have going will be more robust than any other quest editor, if you've ever used the warcraft 3 GUI trigger editor thats kinda how my quest editor will be. not as pretty, but basically the same, functionally. you don't need to know how to code in perl, no perl syntax, you don't even have to look at any perl code. you select from a list of things for what you want to do, for example you click on the "Player says to NPC..." option in the list and then you can add the text that you want the player to say, like "hail" and then you click on "hail" option in the list and you can select what actions you want it to perform, "NPC says..." "Give player experience..." "Give player item..." "Cast spell on player..." etc.. each one you can enter what you want the npc to say, how much experience to give the player, what itmes you want to give to the player, what spell you want to cast on the player, all that stuff. when you're done with the quest, the program will automatically generate the perl code and save it under the correct folder and file name for the NPC you choose.

right now though i CANNOT, no matter what i do, get any of my programs to connect to my database. I don't know why. navicat can connect to it, GeorgeS's programs can connect to it, mine cannot. i get the same error every time no matter what i do. i've searched the error message on google and found like 10 different ways to fix this but none of them work for me. so unless someone can help me with this problem you won't be able to browse the database to find the right item IDs for the quests. you'll have to use something else to figure out what the IDs are... unless someone can help me with this...

GeorgeS
11-09-2007, 04:30 PM
What are you coding this in? C++? ,The connection string is based upon the myodbc drivers published on the mysql site.

Also in the eqemu, there's some examples there on how to do this.

Also, when creating the editor I did envision creating a drag/drop style quest creation, but it ended up being too much work. I felt bad, so I created and borrowed examples from here. Just drop them in and they're almost ready to go.

GeorgeS

Grundy
11-09-2007, 07:09 PM
yea man yours works you have some stuff going on that mine currently does not and im not even really sure how to do it... i'll probably eventually figure out how to do everything i want but im mostly making this because i know there are people that have ideas for quests and want to make quests that don't know perl, my friend zach for example, he does not know perl and he has no desire to learn perl. im sure hes not the only one. i wanted to make an easy to use program for people like that so they can make and edit quests without knowing a single thing about perl. i know its going to be a lot of work, but after my one class in college, making a pascal interpretter and then changing it into a compiler, i think i can handle this. that was a bit of a nightmare this project seems easy compared to that one.

and yes i am using C++, trying to use the sqlclient i've searched up and down all over everywhere on the internet and all i can find is different examples of connection strings to use, i've tried everything i can think of and every single time it just sits there for like 10-20 seconds and then it says performed an illegal operation i click don't send the report to microsoft and then it gives me all this garbage on the screen that i dont understand but at the top it says there was an error maybe the server doesnt allow remote connections, but in the set up i checked for it to allow remote connections, and on top of that it's not a remote connection its localhost but still i get the same exact error no matter what i do

Theeper
11-10-2007, 01:43 AM
Use MySQL++

Grundy
11-10-2007, 06:38 AM
i dont know how to the documentation for mysql++ is not very good

GeorgeS
11-22-2007, 03:03 AM
For something as simple as the quest editor, I would either use C++ or VB.net/VB6. Personally I never got into VB.NET, but C++ is great for learning.

GeorgeS