PDA

View Full Version : server on emulated linux

drunkgoblin
11-09-2007, 06:21 PM
I am playing around with the idea of running an eq server on my emulated FC8 image using Qemu and connecting from windows vista on the same machine. I was wondering if this is feasible or if I would run into loads of network problems...? and while I'm asking question, does anyone know if the server builds without errors on Fedora Core 8?

LeftRoad
11-10-2007, 02:27 AM
FC8 was just released on Nov 8th, I'm trying to download it now so at some point soon I may know.

I run the server on a FC7 VM, database and everything, and play from the same machine (running FC5 -- haven't had a chance to upgrade that yet). It works, although I haven't tested the stability nor longevity of running it in this scenario (longest play time so far was 1 hr). It builds on FC7, but throws a lot of warnings, but runs fine. Once I get it upgraded to FC8 I plan on doing some extensive *testing*, hehe.

drunkgoblin
11-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Awesome! Thats great to know it runs on a VM, heh frankly I just want to do it as a fun little project, might not even play it. Now that I have used FC8 on vm a little bit, I don't think I will use it for the server, its just to heavy to manipulate in that environment. I'm thinking of trying it on an install of Fluxbuntu, that should be lite enough to run it with plenty of resources to spare. Tried DSL (damn small linux) but if you've ever tried installing mysql on there its not worth the effort.

LeftRoad
11-10-2007, 09:24 AM
I tried DSL in VM briefly, until I found it didn't like my network card and no amount of convincing was able to tell it otherwise (that's still on my to-do list, if it is even possible).

I also used FC4 with no GUI (both on a its own PC and in a VM) to create a bridge server using OpenVPN so my friends could join in over the internet (haven't tested the VM version yet). The server was an older iteration of EQEmu (6.0DR2) running on a Win98 box; it ran decently, but kicked you out when you zoned. So I know that is possible too and maybe the newer version will be more stable in that regard.

drunkgoblin
11-10-2007, 10:01 AM
DSL connected to the internet pretty well running on the most recent Qemu virtual machine, the one I've had problems with is windows 98, had to bridge an existing adapter with a tap adapter to get it online.