PDA

View Full Version : How many zones do you load when you load?

Bishop4351
12-19-2007, 05:26 AM
Hi all!

First I'd like to say thanks to the development on this project it's looking good and has really gotten a lot better than a few hundred builds back when I last tried to get into emu and ended up playing live again.
</suckup>

I'm running on Centos 5 in a vmware install that I gave access to 2 cores on my quad and 1 gig of memory. I'm loading POK and Gfay via static and 3 dynamic zones but is this the right count.

I understand this is totally a matter of personal preference here but I'd like to get some other thoughts on this other than my own server admining and log watching/top camping.

Please refrain from the "You're doing it all wrong posts" but a gentle nudge in the right direction would help. :)

Thanks!

Bishop4351
12-19-2007, 05:29 AM
Also I have gone from using a script with a handfull of ./zone &'s to using the eqlauncher and that seems to work great but I'm worried if I only have 3 dynamic zones loaded and someone goes to make #4 they'll drop into never ever land until someone leaves one of the dynamic zones.

Sakrateri
12-19-2007, 05:38 AM
How many zones could a load zone zone if a load zone could load zones.

really though, I have 24 static zones and 5 dynamics running, I try to keep all the newbie zones going and PoK , anywhere that sees alot of traffic. If you think you are going to have more people then the number of zones you have then start more up. you can even use a batch file to start up five or however many more else you want while your launcher zones are still running...

Bishop4351
12-19-2007, 05:43 AM
wow 24 zones +5 that's quite a bit. What type of server (win or linux) and what type of hardware are you using? Is it holding up well with it? I've loaded a dozen but I don't dare do it all at once because it's murder on the mysql.

jimbabwe
12-19-2007, 08:34 AM
It's all a matter of your user count. I play on LAN with my brothers and we have about 6-7 characters on at any given time. Being as we're all dual boxing I could probably get away with as little as 3-4 most of the time, but in case of wipes or general laziness I run 6.

Edit: My server is ubuntu on a pentium 4 ~1ghz with 500 megs of ram. I imagine I could probably run another 6 zones pretty easily for certain

cavedude
12-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Grand Creation has run anywhere from 75 to 125 zones, 20-30 of them are dynamic. Overall, the server handles it just fine. There is nothing spectacular about the specs, Pentium 4 3.0 HT 2GB RAM, bare-bones version of Gentoo (no X)

If there isn't a free zone available, the player will receive a message similar to that zone is not ready to receive visitors yet, and will get dropped to the safe coords of their current zone.

Bishop4351
12-20-2007, 12:40 AM
Good to know people are having success with gentoo it's my favorite distro but I've also got cPanel on this server and it's got a lot of resources in there too. My be time to push those websites elsewhere and kick it up a notch.

I did bump things up to 15 dynamic threads 3 static and it was humming along fine the load average was sitting at the 2 mark but there was still memory and cpu free.

Thanks all!

John Adams
12-26-2007, 08:31 AM
I boot all "common areas" static, and the rest are supported by 20 or so dynamic zones. So that's around 60 total. My FC5 Linux server barely notices. Then again, it's all about server load. When I had Abyss running for a while, with up to 20 players on all over the world, I did see some utilization - but still nothing to make me freak out and think I needed to split my zone servers up.

If you are running a small, private server, nothing really "needs" to be static, unless you're trying the night/day/boat stuff that might be effected by dynamic zones going to sleep.